HP ZBook Studio x360

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by ATIVQ, Apr 5, 2018.

1. nurbs

nurbs Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you please link the article where it says it is throttling?

Are you referring to this one?
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-ZBook-Studio-x360-G5-i7-P1000-FHD-Workstation-Review.358161.0.html

That's not throttling. As I said before, throttling is when the CPU does not perform to the advertised specs, like when Apple put the i9 in the Macbook Pros and they were not hitting base clocks at all cores - that's throttling and false advertising.

In this review, it even says the x360 is the fastest convertible in its category:

"Also of interest is the comparison with the only convertible workstation competitor, the Dell Precision 5530 2-in-1. Compared with this model, the ZBook Studio x360 G5 has a much faster CPU, because Dell relies on the quad-core processor Intel Core i7-8706G. With this CPU, Dell Precision convertible just cannot compete in terms of CPU performance."

"As far as the system performance is concerned, the HP ZBook Studio x360 G5 occupies the pole position in the PCMark 8 benchmarks.... Overall, there is nothing to complain about when it comes to the system performance of the HP laptop ZBook x360 Studio G5."

Also, regarding XTU, just because the CPU is unlocked does not mean the undervolting will "stick" after reboot. It has nothing to do with an unlocked CPU and everything to do with how the bios is setup. Every HP laptop workstation I have owned does not work with the utility after a reboot, and neither do the Lenovo P series laptops. That utility is useless with most laptops - except for benchmarks and bragging rights. I wish more reviewers would state that whenever they use it on a laptop and let readers know that once the undervolts are set, they are also lost upon reboot and you have to run the utility again and reset them. It's not practical.

Trust me, I've tried. There's no way to put the XTU in startup and load a profile and make it stick with many laptops. Desktops are generally different story, because their bios allows for more tuning.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  2. nurbs

nurbs Pen Pal - Newbie

Just ordered one. i9, P2000, 64GB ram. Won't ship til middle of next month.

3. xor01

xor01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Full HD display with LTE?
    Or 4K display without LTE?

4. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Pen Pal - Newbie

I would suggest using Throttlestop to do undervolting on Windows. It can re-apply settings when setup as a startup item with the correct permissions. It has worked well for me on my Elite X2 and numerous Zbook's which I believe all share the same codebase for HP's business laptop bioses.

5. nurbs

nurbs Pen Pal - Newbie

4K antiglare Dreamcolor

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

6. alphag

alphag Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, that is the article. I probably used the term throttling incorrectly. The comparison to other convertibles is not fair though. The article does state that similarly spec’d notebooks like the Thinkpad P1 and Precision 5530 perform better because of inconsistent performance. There is no other convertible workstation equipped with these high end components it seems.

“This puts HP at a disadvantage, because the competitors in form of the Lenovo ThinkPad P1 and the Dell Precision 5530 are able to deliver a higher sustained performance on average. In short bursts, the difference is non-existent though. Also of interest is the comparison with the only convertible workstation competitor, the Dell Precision 5530 2-in-1. Compared with this model, the ZBook Studio x360 G5 has a much faster CPU, because Dell relies on the quad-core processor Intel Core i7-8706G. With this CPU, Dell Precision convertible just cannot compete in terms of CPU performance.”

7. alphag

alphag Pen Pal - Newbie

I think we ordered the same machine. Same delivery timeframe mid next month (ships 2/11). Hopefully sooner...

8. alphag

alphag Pen Pal - Newbie

9. xor01

xor01 Pen Pal - Newbie

I customize a ZBook X360 with i7 8750H + Quadro P2000 + 8GB RAM + 360GB SSD + FHD Display + LTE and get a price quote of USD 2665.

10. alphag

alphag Pen Pal - Newbie

After doing more research on the i9-8950HK chip, I have come to the conclusion that it’s a waste of money to get this processor with anything that resembles a smallish laptop and probably all 15” laptops. Some large gaming PC’s can probably cool it reasonably, but no reasonable size laptop will allow its rated performance because of thermal limitations.

I placed the order last month and have been waiting waiting waiting yet still no word from HP. I would have ordered the 8850H or even the 8750H had I known what I now know about the i9 and how hot it can get due to how much power it needs to perform reasonably. If anyone is thinking about the i9 (or the Xeon sibling) I suggest you reconsider.

Anyway, since it is done and I don’t want to wait anymore than I have to, I will get some baseline performance benchmarks, repaste, apply new thermal pads, and then recheck performance. I might apply liquid metal (Thermal Grizzly’s Conductonaut) in the end as well.

stoneseeker likes this.