HP ZBook Studio x360

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by ATIVQ, Apr 5, 2018.

1. alphag

alphag Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks so much... I’ve been patiently waiting. Hopefully the discounts don’t cycle off by then, otherwise I will continue to wait...

2. SuperFlyBoy

SuperFlyBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

Is anyone actually happy with these?

I have one, and I think the there are too many design deficiencies - such as the power button which is so small and has no travel at all - that spring will die in less than a year!

Top end Xeon also gets too hot quite fast...

Docking solution sucks - no way to grab the dual connection dock (power+TB3) connectors properly - and they are not heavy-duty whatsoever.

This is most definitely not a pro solution...

Maybe only for the artist-types then.

3. alphag

alphag Pen Pal - Newbie

The relatively few reviews available are pretty positive. Good to hear your input. Any other concerns? How is the pen functionality?

4. alphag

alphag Pen Pal - Newbie

P2000 is now configurable, but not for the Xeon’s sadly.

5. nurbs

nurbs Pen Pal - Newbie

The Xeon option is not a big deal, at least for me. Unless you need ECC, performance-wise they are identical to the i9 2.9ghz version.

Now we have to wait for a good coupon!

6. xor01

xor01 Pen Pal - Newbie

flash news : its available in asia, but my country only get 1 config... xeon + p1000 + 16GB ram + 1tb ssd.
    i kinda wish they bring the P2000 over.

7. alphag

alphag Pen Pal - Newbie

i9 configuration with 64gb and Quadro P2000 graphics is about the same price as the top Xeon with 32gb ECC and P1000. I went ahead and ordered the i9 with the hopes of reposting and undervolting to get thermals under better control. I had hoped for ECC to mitigate any bit errors while working with large databases for work, but not having the updated graphics pushed me to the i9.

8. alphag

alphag Pen Pal - Newbie

If you use ebates you can get 2% and don’t forget the SMB10 code for 10% off the configurable model.

9. nurbs

nurbs Pen Pal - Newbie

Where are you reading bad thermals? Of the few reviews out there, this guy tested his top end xeon out of box without repasting or undervolting and there was no throttling.

I'll most likely repaste mine just because it is easy to do, but no one has evidence that their x360 was throttling - throttling defined as not hitting the CPU's advertised base clock rates on x number of cores.

I understand a lot of today's laptops throttle because of poor cooling, but so far we haven't seen solid evidence that the x360 exhibits this behavior.

Undervolting is also not a good solution, because on HP workstations, everytime you reboot you have to run the Intel utility to undervolt again. It doesn't stick. I've own the 8770w and the Zbook 17, and out of the box thermals have been fine.

10. alphag

alphag Pen Pal - Newbie

Notebookcheck’s processor section shows significant throttling compared to other laptops on the i7. Please check it out. The graph shows frequent sharp dips where this behavior is not as prominent on competitors products. I think the i9 should be worse.

I have not undervolted before, but the i9 is a K series chip and should be unlocked. Hopefully it enables mods that are not necessarily available on other processors. We shall see.