HP X2 G4 excessive battery drain during sleep...

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by akbeyond, Jul 19, 2020.

1. akbeyond

akbeyond Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey everyone, so I recently got one of these puppies to replace my mobile studio pro which out of the box seems to handle sleep/hibernate far more efficiently. I'll put the X2 to sleep at night and lose 20%+ by the time I wake it up the next day. The battery is fresh with only 4 cycles of usage so far, so I doubt it's an issue with the actual battery. But there are so many options to be able to sleep/wake the machine in its BIOS and with Windows' power saving management, I'm not sure where to start tweaking settings. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

@akbeyond : Perhaps you could start by telling us a little more about your current set-up. Is it a standard Windows installation? Is it completely updated? Do you, by any chance, have the battery set for best life (80% charge)? Can you check the Task Manager for which apps are using the most resources...?

3. akbeyond

akbeyond Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, it's Windows 10 Pro standard install with the latest updates - 2004 feature update is unavailable to me at the moment. Set for best battery life (80% charge) in BIOS (HP optimized) since I've been having it mostly on the charger.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

@akbeyond : Sorry for the delay; I meant to respond yesterday but got distracted watching the first two episodes of this season's The Alienist.

So, just to be sure that we're on the same page, you charge your X2 and it ends up between 78% and 80% ("full"charge)? If you then put it to sleep overnight, you lose ~20% over night, so state of charge close to 60%, correct?

Did you check the Task Manager (e.g., App History tab) to see if any apps are running excessively? How about BlueTooth? Do you have any BT devices linked to your X2? Short of that, I can't think of anything specific that would cause such a significant power drain...