HP wireless intel 6230 N card

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by ships10, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

Afaik FCC approvals are indeed specific for not only the card, but also the combination of laptop and card. As HP excuses their white listing with FCC regulations, it's just logical to block their own products if they lack FCC approval. Why they haven't gotten approval for the 6230? My guess is that they don't see business in paying for that, especially since they don't consider that part user replaceable for the Slate.

Why HP is so rigid in blocking while other manufacturers don't care is what Rick hasn't answered and likely won't. My theory is milking costumers while hiding behind regulations.

I'm quite sure it won't be long until you see whitelisting for more than just communication cards. I have a feeling about this ;)

2. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Does anyone of you know how to unlock the BIOS?
    I am gonna keep trying to get this type of a card into the slate.
    The benefits are enormous!
    I see no real reason to keep this blocked other than what you have stated above.
    Do you think resetting the cmos battery will do it?

3. ships10

I hope no HP rep is reading this!!
    Looks like we gotta keep things quiet...lol....shhhhh...!
    Life would be boring without being able to play with our little toys.

4. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

@ ships10

The lists for allowed devices are within the parts of the BIOS that aren't volatile. So for changing the whitelisting behavior, you need to modify the actual BIOS. Removing batteries, resetting anything or such things won't do anything.

That's not a trivial task. For one you need a BIOS image and unless HP provides a BIOS update, you'd have to extract that with some tool from your device.
    Then you would have to find out where in that file, which will be machine code, the whitelist resides.

You can then either try to disable the whitelist check entirely, which is hard as it needs understanding of how the BIOS, of which you only have a binary image, works, or try to modify existing entries to match something you want to shove in. That's possibly just changing some bytes, but maybe more complex when the entries aren't "plain".

If you mess up, chances are your device is bricked. You would have to find a way to reprogram the BIOS chip. Some HP models support flashing a BIOS from a USB diskette drive even in such a state, but I have no idea if the Slate does so. If not, you have to solder out the BIOS chip and use an external programmer, then put it back in.

From what I gathered researching how to get around the whitelist in my TC4400, the newer HP BIOSes seem to be not so mod friendly. The TC4400 one is already more complicated than just replacing an entry...

So in short, yes, conceptually I know, but I couldn't do it as of yet and especially not without a Slate to test on. Your best bet is hoping someone more knowledgeable and versed has done this or does this and find maybe a thread in some other forum where he posts about his findings.
    If you're lucky, you get a BIOS image from somewhere that you can flash and possibly risk bricking your device by using it.

The first step would be to find out if the Slate 500 has a way to recover from a bad BIOS flash. Without that, I wouldn't risk even trying someone else's work out.
    You see, the locking mechanism is quite effective :-/

5. ships10

Wow! Thanks for the short tutorial! Well, there go my hopes.
    I sure am not willing to live with a brick!
    I have put way too much time onto and into this slate. It is such a nice form factor with so much potential. I wish HP would get their act together and produce something like the S7S in this form factor. With ipad 3 on the way. ... they gotta be thinking something.

6. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

For me if the slate had a 10.1 screen, I for one would be completely satisfied. Especially with the .........sh.....never mind.

7. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

Don't change the size of the slate... just zee guts! ;)

2d

8. ships10

Instead of creating a new thread I thought I'd ask this question here:
    What do you guys/gals recommend how to boost the internet speed from a router?
    I have heard of some devices that plug into a power outlet.

I noticed that if I am within 30 ft of my linksys dual band wireless N router the download speeds are good but as I move to my bedroom upstairs the signal strength drops quiet a bit. It drops to about 5-52(usually in the 5-20mbps range) mbps...if I am under 30 ft it is about 40-72 mbps.

9. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

What about boasting your routers range with an extender? That's what I did.

10. ships10

Which one? Do u have a link ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.