HP wireless intel 6230 N card

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by ships10, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I ordered from the HP parts store the HP approved intel 6230 card.
    I again got the usual 'not a recognized part' when I rebooted.
    I thought if I bought it from HP directly it would be recognised by the slate.
    I know HP has a monopoly on hardware that is readily available and do a BIOS lock on these parts to make a killing.
    However, this card should have been recognized without a problem.
    I had attempted the original intel 6230 card but got the same response.
    Here is the HP is the card with the part #:
    Part #:636672-001
    Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 half-minicard - 802.11B/G/N

I wonder if Rick can help out why HP sells parts( at an exhorbitant price!) that can't be used in HP computers.

I hope they give me a full refund including the $11.5 S/H.
    The card that is installed in the slate 500 is a broadcom b/g/n card that has the max speed of 72 mbs and a 1 X 1 antenna.
    The 6230 has a max speed of 300 mbs and a 2X2 antenna...the reason why I wanted to upgrade.
    I installed similar intel cards in my old convertibles about 2 weeks ago ...and the speed of the internet has gone up by a huge margin!
    Definitely worth the upgrade if possible.

2. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

Sorry not a response to your thread's main point per se, but I was wondering when you installed the new wifi card, where did you install the new antennas? Was there space, or was it kind of a hack job?

2d

3. ships10

No hack job. Just plain swap. I used the same antennas that are in the slate. They have a cable from each antenna with connectors that attach onto the card . It is a half mini PCI card.

4. Rick

Rick Sr. Manager, Innovation and Experience

The Intel 6230 card is not supported nor sold specifically for the Slate 500. This card may be offered for other HP products, such as notebooks, where the card is end user replaceable, however, there are no end user upgradable internal features for the Slate 500.

Cards that are not supported in a particular system such as in this case are not tested, validated, FCC certified, or can be assured full functionality to meet HP quality guidelines for this specific implementation in the Slate 500. FCC certifications are not obtained for unsupported cards and therefore must be blocked if installed, per FCC regulations.

Hope this helps to explain..

Rick

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Hey Rick ... is that a promotion I see in your sig? If so, congratulations.;)

6. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

I doubt the part about "must be blocked". Otherwise a lot of vendors would have a lot of trouble with the FCC they seemingly don't have.
    I'd also be interested in why HP needs special versions of their wifi cards with different PCI identifiers. One bonus is obviously that the normal costumer can't get them on the free market and needs to buy the more expensive HP special versions, but there surely is an "official" answer that does not have the "ripoff" ring to it ;)

Do you have any more information about the FCC requiring those blocking features that isn't considered confidental?

Please don't take this hit on some of HP's "decisions" personally, please :)
    And I'd really be interested in answers, not in an argument.

And as Bronsky pointed out, "commercial notebooks"?
    I think that deserves a virtual champagne bottle. I'd provide a physical one from the basement, but they travel so slow through the cable :D

7. Rick

No, Program Manager, Commercial Notebooks, is really my title. It just means that I manage more than one product, not just the Slate 500. For example, I am managing the 2760p product as well and was PM for all of other products listed on my sig

8. Rick

There isn't a lot I can share, so it is challenging to communicate a clear answer. My response was specific to the Slate 500, not a general response. In this particular case, updating the Slate 500 WLAN card is not supported.

Rick

9. ships10

Rick,
    Thanks for responding promptly. The wlan is almost the same as in any HP notebook that has a half mini card as in the slate. So, why block your own product for the slate
    and why not give the end user some options also?

I am just fortunate to not have had my new 128 gb ssd blocked as well.

I had no issues upgrading the card in my other convertible tablets using intel cards....ie no FCC issues .

10. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

ships10
    Amen to that.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.