HP Unveils The World’s First Detachable Chromebook

Discussion in 'Other Android Tablet Manufacturers' started by tjrhine, Apr 9, 2018.

1. tjrhine

tjrhine Pen Pal - Newbie

2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wacom AES.

3. tjrhine

tjrhine Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd prefer EMR but it's nice to see new form factors in the Chromebook space.
    I recently went all-in on Chrome OS and so far am very pleased. I was about ready to pull the trigger on a Surface Book 2 and decided to try a Samsung Chrombook Pro and I'm amazed how much I can do with it. I still have a Thinkpad and Surface Pro 3 that I remote into if necessary and there are other compromises but I'm liking it so far (and the stylus fits in a silo :) )

4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I would be interested to hear more about what the compromise are. Since you are making it work, that means you have must have work arounds or they’re not important. Please explain more! :)

5. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I like it, but 32gb is a bummer as I with 64gb was standard and 128gb was an option. Plus I think I remember reading somewhere the Windows variant(Core M also) is estimated at 14 hours of battery life while this is at 10.5 hours. Not that big of a deal, but the extra 3 or so hours would have been a nice bonus.

6. tjrhine

tjrhine Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm a heavy MS Office user and now I'm trying to use Google Docs/Sheets/etc as much as possible but it's just not the same. I will always need a windows machine available since I have some spreadsheets for work that have vba code in them and use odbc to pull tons of data from various systems. I also at times need a full featured windows client to access an IBM Midrange system. There's also some specialized software that I occasionally use to configure scanners. I'm using Teamviewer or Chrome Remote Desktop to remote control one of my Windows PC's to take care of those items. Since it's not frequently needed it's not a huge problem.

I also normally use the full Windows Outlook client and am now using the Web version. It's not too bad. The thing I hate the most is that I'm a heavy OneNote user and the Android version of OneNote is a poor substitute for the full version, but again it's not a complete deal breaker (almost though.) I've actually resurrected my use of an Android product called Lecturenotes. I also used Drawboard PDF on Windows and really like it, now I'm trying to use Kami.

There are a lot of things to like about the Samsung Chromebook Pro. The form factor is great. The size, weight, the pen with a silo to store it. The battery life has been great. Being able to just pick it up anytime I want and open the lid and it's instantly ready to be used is really nice. Not having to worry about lengthy updates, virus scans, and all the other stuff you have to deal with when using Windows is also very nice. I'm also enjoying being able to run Android apps on it. I'm amazed at how little space you need once you embrace the cloud. I've enable offline storage for Drive and still have only use a little over 8.1gb of my available 44.2gb of storage on my Chromebook. I've decided to stick with Chrome OS as my couch/travel laptop and leave my SP3 at home for remote access when needed. I work from home some and use a Windows PC when in my office but the Chromebook goes in my bag when I leave the house (I was carrying the Chromebook and Surface but not anymore.)

I think the future for Chrome OS is going to be interesting and I'm following https://dropletcomputing.com/ to see what they'll bring to the table.

WillAdams likes this.