Hp tx3000?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by sirjaume, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Jor-dan

Jor-dan Tablet-Loving Student

curious, how is using your fingernail embarrassing? I guess it might just be me with my big hands, but I find the resistive far more comfortable for that very reason! how the crap are you supposed to select an item from a list or use a scroll bar if the computer can't even tell what you're finger is trying to get at? That's the biggest annoyance I have with my iPhone, and why I love the resistive touch of my tx2500.

For my "tx3000" or tx3 or whatever you want to call it, I want:

-HDMI
    -A pen with an easier-to-feel button
    -At least 128MB sideport GDDR3 memory (like the gateway c-14*xl series)
    -LED backlit, resistive Multitouch screen (like the HP touchsmart desktops)
    -Lighted keys? maybe?
    -BD-ROM or BD-R
    -Jog Dial / Customizable Buttons
    -A media player that works!
    -Built in tv-tuner
    -Quieter Fan
    -Speakers that don't rattle
    -A sturdier chassis... If I rest my hands too hard on the tx, and a disc is in the drive, It grinds! Same as if I quickly jolt the machine while the disc is spinning!
    -Put the power switch somewhere else! I keep accidentally bumping it while watching movies!

But seriously, I love my tx2500z :)

2. Dojomann

Dojomann Convertible Converter

Interesting how things panned out for the next one (the tx2.)

We got a LED backlit screen and capacitive multitouch.

A ram upgrade option (now max is 8GB instead of 4GB)

As well as a slight chassis redesign (colouring and stuff)

Nice upgrades in my opinion.

OH, and the new mediasmart software making its first debut on laptops.

3. Jor-dan

the ram upgrade is meaningless if you're a 32-bit user, and I wouldn't buy capacitive multitouch... Dealing with the gimmicky uselessness is only outweighed by functionality on my iPhone, and I still complain constantly about it

4. daghead

daghead Guest

You can't just casually tap elements as like real buttons. This leaves me feeling disconnected from the interface. But I can understand how fingernail ability would be valued by one with large fingers.

At the same time, that's why I've envisioned a futuristic system where perfectly calibrated stereo fisheye cameras would track the user's eyes to detect precisely where the fat finger was intended to contact.

5. kapblp

kapblp Scribbler - Standard Member

Why not just a camera that detects where you were looking and lets you wink to click or blink for a long time to double click. Or better yet just say, "'computer" like they do on star trek.

6. daghead

daghead Guest

Actually I think that already exists, though I'm not sure I'd like that so much :/

7. Jor-dan

here's a question:
    How do you use a scroll bar with your fingertip? If it's on the edge of a window, there's no way you can scroll without using a fingernail, and you can't use a fingernail on capacitive! It's a useless gimmick!

8. daghead

daghead Guest

When I calibrate finger (not pen) touch, I offset my finger a tad in-screen from the crosshairs before applying pressure. Not because my skin can't hit the edges mind you, but so that "drift" doesn't eventually make interaction with edge elements impossible.

Not that I do much finger dragging at all since its not sensitive enough.

Thought: A more sophisticated calibration program could solve the edge problem, and is especially important for fat fingered capacitive touchscreen users:

[​IMG]

Using the fingertip instead of the fingernail is also quite ideal for simple edge operations, such as hitting the close window or taskbar buttons. This allows one to stay focused on the screen's center, while simply throwing the finger in the target's vague direction and relying on his skin for force feedback from the bezel.

9. ROGUEx360

ROGUEx360 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have found that works on the TX2500 for it's Touch calibration. Usually, pressing each crosshair that appears, it is not accurate, and the cursor would never appear where I touched, especially not near the edges of the screen.

By actually pressing the corners of the screen itself, outside the crosshair region, I then get an accurate Touch calibration, and can use my finger, if I end up doing that.

I know it's not related to the TX2z or capacitive touch screens, but it does make the calibration of the TX2000/2500s resistive touch screen much better, for me atleast!

10. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

What happens if you're cross-eyed or you sneeze? What if you're so tired your eyes glaze over...or they're glazed over because you're a cop that's had one too many donuts?

Some of us clip our nails and don't have the coke fiend fingernail thing going on. :p

Seriously though, there are ways to make the touch interface more useful. Just a couple ideas... The digitizer could go beyond the edge of the lcd to allow the scrollbar to be worked with more easily. The area below your finger could zoom, and even maybe be offset, to make it easier to see and select things....but I've yet to see a nice zoom implementation.