HP TX2530 remote and cdrom thing missing from the box

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by cozonac, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cozonac

cozonac Pen Pal - Newbie

So I finally ordered a HP TX2530ea, and it arrived today. The website I've ordered it from says it's 'renewed' by HP, which basically means it's a refurbished tablet pc.
    Upon opening the (very plain looking) box I noticed the remote control and the 'dummy cdrom' which you place in the tablet when you want to save some weight by removing the cdrom drive ARE MISSING.

I've sent the seller an email expressing my concerns and after a while they responded that the remote control is missing because it's a refurbished laptop that doesn't come with windows (it had a FreeDOS cd in the box), and only the new ones who come with windows preinstalled have a remote... which makes absolutely no sense to me! The cdrom plastic thing was missing because 'it doesn't come with any of the laptops'. Is that true? On every review I've read the 2 items mentioned were in the box.

Also, they've said they contacted the importer which brings these in my country (i'm in eastern europe btw). Is that an 'official' HP statement? How can I contact HP to ask them if any of this is true?

Now I'm trying to install windows 7 on this thing, maybe it'll get better... :)

Please shine some light on this, it seems very fishy to me...

2. nannlp

nannlp Pen Pal - Newbie

looks very strange indeed!

Because a friend of mine bought the tx2510us refurbished & he did get the remote + the weight saver.

As far as W7 goes , it absolutely rocks !(comparing to vista... no match at all)
    but keep in mind there are some compatibility issues with certain softwares (which might not be of any relevance to you) .

Good luck

3. cozonac

cozonac Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, after messing around for a day with it I'm quite torn apart, partly because it's awesome and partly because it's... not.
    First, I love the touchscreen, I'd play with it for hours, the inking capabilities are amazing and navigating through win 7 with the touchscreen is more ergonomically feasible than I previously thought (think star-trek).
    I really like the keyboard feel, those keys look like candy :) The sidebar is also nice.

The not-so-awesome stuff: from the POST and into the windows loading screen it makes a very industrial-fan-like noise that's very annoying, just picture rebooting this thing in a quiet class or conference room... In windows the fan stays well behaved, only when I have multiple tasks running about there's a sudden burst of hairdryer noise, but that doesn't last long.
    But the real deal braker for me is the high pitched 'whine' of the hard drive when it's doing nothing but spinning. When on battery power it gets even worse, from whine so screech. I've tried running with different power options but it stays the same (I previously had a fujitsu with the same problem, only it dissapeared after putting it on power saving mode or on battery power).
    Other things to whine about - hot to the touch, not what I expected from after reading this forum (I haven't run any games so that might be the answer); poor quality build - plastics are bending everywhere; the left&right click buttons kinda hard for me to press.

I really don't know whether to keep it or exchange it for a Compaq 2710p (which got a monster rebate, like 50% off, TODAY :| ). I don't know if the 1.2 processor can handle photoshop or some programming IDEs I use at college. I'd really appreciate some input here.

4. fysloc

fysloc Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the tx2604CA and got it new, it came with a remote but no "dummy cdrom" which i really want cause cd drive is quite useless to me... anyways i find the remote is quite useless too

5. cozonac

cozonac Pen Pal - Newbie

Well... can anyone give me some feedback on the 2710p? I'm starting to like the tx2500 though... except for the heat/fan and hdd noise it's all very nice. The sound quality exceeds my desktop's build in sound card and I've been able to play the guitar on it (revalver mk3) with minimal noise.

LE: My desktop is a AMD 64 3000+, 1gb ram and a GeForce 6600 video card, if it's comparable to this it should be ok...

6. cozonac

cozonac Pen Pal - Newbie

C'mon guys, can anyone please give me some pointers whether to replace this or not? I've used it at school today and the only things that bothered me were the heat output and the flimsiness of the screen, I was afraid it would brake at some point...

7. Robtang

Robtang Scribbler - Standard Member

the 2710p is a far better tablet in every way (apart from the gfx card) its a busniness laptop and therefore is far better built, its cool quieter and has a better screen. if you can afford it id got for it personally.

just FYI the HDD noise is not normal, I can never hear it on my tx2500

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.