HP tx2510us won't post - CPU error - 1 Blink Caps lock / Num lock

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kwhy, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwhy

kwhy Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried un-sleeping my HP tx2510us last night after using it about 1 hr before with no problems and found it unresponsive / blank screen with both the caps lock and / num lock LEDS blinking ONCE ever 3-4 secs.

No video anomalies, blinking screen, ect before hand, but it has been running a bit hot lately and after opening it up (see below) I should have cleaned this a long time ago.

Anyway, according to HP's website the 1 blink denotes a CPU failure, BUT from all the threads I've read about numerous issues with the older tx1000's and tx2000's and the GPU becoming disconnected I'm wondering if this might be a video chip problem instead?

So far I've stripped down my laptop, cleaned, and tried re-seating the CPU along with new thermal paste and heating up the GPU (didn't focus a lot of time on that yet).

I still get the same error on power on (blank screen, caps lock and num lock LED's blink once then pause).

For those of you that have fixed your laptop by heating up the GPU and resetting it, did you get the same 1 blink error or the 4 blink error?

I went ahead and ordered a used CPU for around $40, but I'm betting that isn't going to solve my problem.

Any other checks that I can do to determine just what might be faulty without replacing all the parts?

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It isn't what you are looking for, but check the ram (bad/ poorly seated ram will prevent boot up, and I've seen it happen a number of times before, even with brand new ram) so if you have 2 sticks of ram in the unit then try it with only one stick, then move that stick to the other ram slot, then swap out the stick and try the other stick in both slots -if it works during one of those tests then it was likely ram that went bad... you can also try the ram in another notebook and see if it works fine there or not

Try it without a battery in; and try it with only the battery

Remove the HDD and see if it will post and display a "no HDD" error (on my M4 it wouldn't post if I tried using a specific drive adapter, maybe it was sensing a short, or something... it could be possible your HDD checked out and is preventing it from posting)

There are a few other things, and I'll post them if I remember them, but for now this is the short list

I would urge you to hold off on messing with doing a DIY solder re-flow because if it goes wrong then you just killed your motherboard, and if the problem was elsewhere to begin with then you would be kicking yourself you were impatient

3. kwhy

kwhy Pen Pal - Newbie

I think I've tried just about all those things.

Battery in/out with/without AC
    Mem changed all around + in/out
    hd in/out (hd is ok, I just copied all the data over to my desktop)

also pulled whole mb out and tried hooking it up to external monitor, ac, with/without hd, with/without mem, and nothing except blinking LED's (1 blink) and fan running at startup along with HD starting up.

don't think its a bad ac adaptor since it does the same thing with both battery or ac adaptor.

one other thing I noticed when I pulled the CPU off was a little bit of residue or discoloration on the cpu plastic housing (the adaptor you plug the cpu into). It was just in one corner. Wonder if I spilled something like cola one time that finally caused some problems or if that is signs of extreme heat or burn?!

I might spend another $200 just to try and get a refurbished/used MB.

TX2500 480850-001 seems to be the generic board for TX2500 series, but I can't tell on some sites which video card is attached.

I hate the idea of tossing this out, but even more I hate the idea of having to setup another laptop again.

So what exactly was the replacement for the tx2510+ series. Sorry I haven't been following tablet/laptops. Is it the TM2?

4. mariol90

mariol90 Scribbler - Standard Member

the tx2 was the replacement for the tx2500, which was then replaced by the tm2. i personally would not bother getting another motherboard for the tx2500 since the same thing will happen a year or two from now.

let us know if the new CPU fixes the issue. if not, it's probably the motherboard.

5. kwhy

kwhy Pen Pal - Newbie

got the cpu today...unfortunately it is still doing the same thing. I might try one other thing, but I think your right it might be best to invest in a new notebook instead of throwing in another $150-200 which will probably overheat again.

Only reason I might try and get this going is that it seems like the tablet PC market w/ keyboard combo isn't a big seller or no one stocks anything like that around here anymore.

To be honest I didn't use the tablet portion much except occasional drawing or diagram for work, but I did like the touchscreen for some music apps which if I get this going I'll probably just use it for that along with a cooler and get a new notebook for work related stuff.

Heck, I still have my Fujitsu lifebook U810 which I use only for one specific App that I wrote for work which I hope to finally port over to Android this fall.

6. kwhy

kwhy Pen Pal - Newbie

according to HP's website the motherboard part number for tx2510us is

HP 480850-001

some sites report this as tx2000 motherboard and other sites report it as tx2500+ mb.

maybe I'm getting the models confused. My tx2510us had an AMD ATI radeon 3200 I believe which was either 64mb or 128mb. Box says 64mb, but I swear it was 128mb? Anyone remember?

heres one for tx2000 but has same part no as tx2500 and tx2510.

tx2000 motherboard?

I'll contact them, but wondered if anyone might have traveled down this path already and know if they are all the same or different (maybe different revision no, part no, ect)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. Algusod

Algusod Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine died back in April - same deal - but I needed it and no back-up so ordered a new TM2 VERY Happy with that! Still have the old TX2510 - but just grabbed the drive and made it a slave. The new TM2 is so much better! The main reason I stuck with HP was all the gear (extra Wacom pens, Chargers, stands and things I knew would work with the new machine) and it is still the best value. Biggest surprise was the life. I had two batteries and most I could get was 2 1/2 hours - on the new one 4 hours easy - no need for a second battery and cool and quiet and just as fast. Also I got mine in July 2008 - and also used the undervolt utility for Puma and it gave subtle signs of death that I mistook for coming out of hibernation slow, hanging up on programs, etc. After reading the many posts of the flashing caps num lock scenarios - I feel I easily got my monies worth out of the first one and the TM2 is a dream. Sorry you are at this stage, but the step up to the TM2 is well woth it - but beware of Win 7 64 - you'll have to adjust some of your habits. success in your endeavors.

8. kwhy

kwhy Pen Pal - Newbie

I decided that I didn't want to drop $1k+ on another tablet that I barely use for the tablet portion. So I ordered a new motherboard from HP. It was around $350 after shipping + tax ect (didn't do the exchange option).

The *new* CPU I ordered from somewhere else (~$35) apparently was bad because I put the new board and everything else together and I got the same 1 blink error.

I broke the laptop down again and then replaced the new motherboard with my original CPU and ran the board out of the case and was given just the MEM ERROR blink (3 blinks) instead of 1 which was good. I put one stick mem in and no error blinks.

Finallly, Put the laptop back together (probably the 10th time now) and booted windows up. I just need to update the bios now (scratch that, looks like the newest is installed f.0f)

So that at least reassures me that paying a little more and ordering from a reputable company versus something off ebay might be worth it in the end sometimes.

Honestly after all the time I spent taking this apart, putting it back together, on the phone, waiting for parts to come in, and just finally getting it working again doesn't seem worth it, but I'd rather get something with a bigger screen around $500 for my daily use now without a tablet, and use this just for a few applications I need it mainly for the touchscreen.

I'll probably buy a cooler and limit my use on this. I put a good 2-3 years on this laptop along with a couple of winter months on WOW which I won't be doing anymore.

Thanks for all the help. I'll report back the day this goes out, hopefully knock on wood it won't be for awhile.

9. mariol90

mariol90 Scribbler - Standard Member

for $350 you can buy another tablet PC, even if it'd be from ebay it'd last at least as long as a new tx2500 motherboard. i'm not trying to say you made a bad choice or anything, but it seems kind of wasteful to spend that much then have to limit your use on it. I had problems with my tm2, and instead of buying replacement parts (possibly a new touchscreen/digitizer), i found a cheap x61 tablet on ebay which also seems to run much faster than my tm2.

not sure if this will help at all but the problem the tx series have seems to be from the GPU area getting excessively hot, then cooling off, and this process repeating many times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.