[HP Tx2500z] How to restore HP system restore?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kanehi, Jan 18, 2010.

1. leoc

leoc Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,

I did a clean install of vista home premium on the tx2500z, and I made a third partition in the process, without deleting the hp recovery partition, hoping that I could still have a choice to restore back to the factory setting later.

However, the F11 key leads straight to normal vista start up after making the new partition and vista install.

The HP recovery partition is still intact. Is there anyway to read the image there?

I appreciate all advice on this. Thanks.

btw, on another thread, Drtigerlilly mentioned that "Before you do your fresh install use OREV's ABR to backup your activation & the OEM key ... The key on the bottom of the machine is actually different from the OEM key, and has to be reactivated everytime you do a reinstall of the OS."

Leo

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

use disk management->storage (search for computer management from the start menu) (or another partition manager)to set the partition to active & restart the pc. When you restart it should boot directly to the restore partition.

3. leoc

leoc Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you, Drtigerlilly! I'll try it.

4. batatafrita

batatafrita Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

I know this is an old thread, but from the search I did it seemed the most appropriate...

I bought a tx2500z in the US last year, but I'm no longer living in the US. I did a clean Vista install but did not erase the HP_RECOVERY partition - it's still there, and untouched.

However, when I try to boot to System Recovery the exact same thing described in the original post happens - it goes directly to Windows. I tried deleting the Windows (leaving only the HP_Recovery partition) but the same thing still happens.

Setting the partition to active does not solve this problem. GParted says the partition's boot flag is active (which I believe is the same as Window's "active" partition).

In an online chat with HP Support they could not find a solution. They also won't ship me the recovery CDs, as I'm not in the US.

The reason I'd like to do a recovery is so I could actually create the recovery DVDs, in case I sell the laptop or give it to someone else in the future.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

5. DRTigerlilly

it can be repaired with EasyBCD, making a WinPE boot environment, i've done it before with the tx1000, but never made a guide and am fuzzy, and don't have a tx1000 handy to try it again with.

Basically what i remember doing is adding a boot entry using the WinPE tab which is to the extreme right. You are going to make the source a WIM file that resides on the restore partition. If memory serves its under D:\boot...you might have to use winrar to explore the recovery partition and locate the WIM files.

You are also going to need a vista disk to do this by the way, and easybcd will request it during the WinPE setup.

It honestly took me a couple restarts and i think windows repairs as well to get it working...if you do get it working please post a guide here.

Another user followed these steps and was able to get it working YMMV.

6. batatafrita

batatafrita Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

I seem to have found a way around this...

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate and tried playing with EasyBCD and the WIM files, but to no avail. There were three .wim files (two boot.wim at around 170Mb each, and the big Base.wim at 8/9Gb) and with all of them it complained that it couldn't find some Windows boot file. If it matters, I wasn't asked for the Windows CD by EasyBCD when creating the boot entry.

Mounting a VHD (a virtual hard drive) file, extracting the WIM files there, and booting from the VHD file also led me nowhere - it would enter Vista's "Startup Repair", but would never be able to correct the errors.

I then found this thread that mentions the file HPRM-BCDFix.Bat in the \Windows\SMINST folder (see post #9). In my case running the batch file out of the box produced errors, so I had to edit it. I made two changes:

1) I removed the flags in all the bcdedit commands related to setting the BCD store (so it would use the default one, from Windows 7); and
    2) I changed the hardcoded c:\windows to f:\windows (f: was, in my case, the virtual hard drive to where I had extracted the BASE.WIM file).

It only referenced a couple of files from the c:\windows folder, so you can probably get away with just extracing the necessary files somewhere and changing the path. I don't think a full extraction to a partition or a virtual harddrive is needed.

I thought running the command hadn't worked, as I saw no changes in the BCD entries. I rebooted the computer to see what would would happen, and was presented with the usual Windows bootscreen where you choose which Windows you want to boot. I pressed F8 for advanced options, and selected Repair your computer.

And lo and behold, it entered HP's Recovery Manager!

It's now performing the Factory Image Recovery - it's at 30%, and so far no errors. I don't know if it will complete sucessfully, but decided to post this now before I forget any of the steps :)

I'll post again when the process is completed to let you know of the outcome.

Thanks!

7. DRTigerlilly

the base.wim is the file i'd attached as the winpe entry...when i'm a little more coherent i'll go over your post again, and maybe we can find what it is that needs to be done to get the boot working.

Thank You for the new info:)

8. th0th0

th0th0 Pen Pal - Newbie

my hard disk crashed, i have bought a new hard disk however i dont have a backup recovery dvd. do anyone know where i can get a copy? tx2500z with vista home premium 64 bit

9. kanehi

kanehi Scribbler - Standard Member

You can order a recovery disc from HP but the clincher is that it won't install unless the original specs are present. This happened with my dv2000. I don't know if things had changed since then.