HP tx2500 - Windows 7 is great but battery life is Horrible

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Yianaki, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yianaki

Yianaki Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a stock install of the windows 7 beta 32bit. I get about half as much battery life as in vista. They are setup identically no gadgets, no aero in battery using power saver profile, same power saving settings. I have all the drivers automatically installed by Windows. Except for the IR receiver and wacom tablet, for them I installed the HP Vista drivers. If you don't install the HP wacom drivers for W7 or Vista the screen doesn't register in the corners, which is due to some weird custom HP install I guess? I also downloaded the newest beta ATI w7 graphics driver. Windows error reporting service suggested I download a newer beta fingerprint scanner driver that would work with the native windows biometics. I wanted to keep bloat to a minimum so I did that, as I only use the scanner to login.

The sound effect where for the device installed, device uninstalled continually goes off when I am doing nothing. I turned it off in the sound effects and sure enough it stopped making that sound.

Does anyone have the same issues I had? The fingerprint scanner driver takes for ever to loadup on the logon screen I think that might be it. But I have heard that this W7 beta has bad battery life on many notebooks. Even though MS did a ton of tweaks to use less juice, I read some of the white papers. I guess the drivers are still crappy, I really hope HP releases W7 drivers that work correctly come release.

2. ChronoReverse

ChronoReverse Pen Pal - Newbie

Probably still driver issues so that things aren't spooling down on idle like they're suppose to.

My battery life is still the same though (3 hours on the stock battery using just OneNote).

Incidentally, are you sure about the wacom drivers? I don't seem to have that issue and I've only installed Quickplay. Everything else I just grabbed from the Windows Update site.

3. flanders

flanders Pen Pal - Newbie

I have to say my w7 install is all install disk/windows update (not even quickplay is installed) and my pen & my touch seem to work just fine even in the corners. I run on balanced power most of the time and i get +/- 3 hours on my six cell. tx2635us model running w7 64-bit.

4. fcbobby_15

fcbobby_15 Pen Pal - Newbie

with 7, i got better battery life and lower temperatures :S is strange

5. A30N

A30N Technologist

I have the 32-bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate (build 7000) installed on my tx2510us. I let Windows use their version for all drivers except for the following, which I downloaded and installed from HP's driver site:
    Fingerprint Reader
    IR Receiver
    Bluetooth
    Wacom
    Quick Launch Buttons

My battery lasts about 5-10 longer than with Windows Vista SP1 with the stock 8-cell battery. Make sure to adjust the advanced settings for the power saver profile. I set everything to maximum power savings, and the CPU to 5%-50%.

6. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

This is a odd problem. On my 2710p, which battery specs are up to 5.5 hours, i am getting around 7 hours on 7.

7. Yianaki

Yianaki Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply's. I did a clean reinstall and everything is back to normal. Laptop magazine reported that they were getting much worse battery runtimes with 7 versus vista. I am guessing they were having beta driver issues as well.

I am quite sure it was the beta fingerprint driver that windows suggested I download to make the fingerprint reader work with the w7 internal biometrics software, which didn't do much of anything except let you logon. And it took 20 for the beta fingerprint driver to initialize at start. It was worthless.

I installed the beta ATI driver to get back the power saver video card settings (which is essential for making the tx2500 cool, I use low power for plugged and unplugged) and I installed the Wacom drivers from HP site (otherwise I am unable to touch the sides of the tablet it just stops a 1/4 of an inch from the screen). For the other drivers I just used what W7 installed, making sure to have it search for new drivers for my audio making it find the proper non generic audio drivers.

I have a launch tx2500 I think it might be a little buggier than most. I have to run the F05 bios otherwise the keyboard dissapears if I start it in tablet mode, until I remove the battery.

I was getting worried that I would need HP to release new drivers for the TX2500 for w7 which I don't think was high on their list of priorities. I am happy with my w7 install now, thanks everyone. :p

8. Modnar

Modnar Pen Pal - Newbie

Using the ones Windows 7 installed are quite often generic drivers and hence not really suited for the hardware.

9. GreatWizard

GreatWizard Pen Pal - Newbie

Not true. The drivers W7 installs are usually the drivers for your exact hardware. Sometimes not the newest ones, when using Vista, but with 7 you usually don't have a better choice.

10. alanjrobertson

alanjrobertson Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm getting that continually with my machine (TX2530EA, plain Win 7 RC 7100 install) - did you find a solution for it apart from switching off the sound?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.