HP tx2500 Freezes After Vista Boot Screen

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Bernok, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hsqx

hsqx Pen Pal - Newbie

Approximately once every couple of weeks my tx2500 seems to freeze before the login screen in Vista 32bit.

Here is exactly what happens:

1) I turn on the computer and the initial HP logo shows up

2) The windows vista start up bar thing (the 4 green vertical lines) starts to cycle through but extremely fast (much faster than a normal start up).

3) The screen goes to a black screen then goes blank.

4) (This sometimes happens) Sometimes when I push keys on the keyboard or touch the screen, the computer goes to the login screen. I am able to log in but then the Vista Progress Circle starts to cycle extremely fast and then goes to a black screen again.

I have to restart my computer by holding the power latch until the computer shuts down. On two occasions this has happened again after I restarted, but the rest of the time my system starts up as normal.

Though this is a reoccurring problem I would probably not be able to send in my laptop to hp anytime soon since I use my tablet as my sole notebook and study materials (notes, onenote) for classes. I am also worried that when hp does receive the tablet, the problem will not happen and they will simply ship the laptop back to me and state that there is nothing wrong.

I am wondering if anyone knows what the problem could be? Software or hardware? Is anyone else having this problem?

Please help. Thanks.

2. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

Sounds like asoftware issue to me. You may be able to check a few things. YOu could disable bt and a few other things in the bios and see if that helps. It may identify a peice of faulty hardware.

Also do you have any external devices hooked up.Monitors, printers, drives? Unplug these when you boot and see what happens

Try running MS config and disabling any services you don't need.

Worst case. Backup your data and do a full factory (or better a clean) instal of Vista.

Gordon

3. hsqx

hsqx Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah it happened again today and I had disabled bluetooth from device manager before. It seems to almost happen randomly.

Do you think it could be some piece of hardware that is loose inside the tablet (loose RAM module, loose hard drive connection)?

4. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

could be, and is worth checking it out.

Just don't shake ur notebook like what a relative of mine did, he ended up breaking the "already loose" RAM chip INSIDE his notebook (stupid git...seriously)

5. Bernok

Bernok Scribbler - Standard Member

Could be a bad sector in your hard drive.

To run a test:
    - Press ESC when booting.
    - Select the option to go to System Diagnostics
    - Run Hard Drive Test

Other tests might help too.

6. hsqx

hsqx Pen Pal - Newbie

It is kind of ironic that after I ran the hard disk test (both quick and full), it stated in the diag that everything was fine. After that I went to BIOS just to have a glance and exited BIOS without saving changes.

As soon as it went to the Vista start up thing, it started cycling fast and then the computer when to a black screen and nothing could be done. I held the power button until the computer shut down, then started it up again (after waiting like 30 seconds), and it was still black. The next time I restated everything is fine and computer is acting normal.

I just don't understand. Now I am even more confused if the problem is a software or hardware related one. I guess I will reformat my computer and see if that changes anything. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Also, I may do a clean Vista install this time if I can get my hands on a disc. I did a search and could not find a working link for a clean install vista disc that we could purchase from Microsoft. Does anyone have a link to the anytime upgrade disc from Microsoft or have they stopped selling it?

7. Bernok

Bernok Scribbler - Standard Member

I had a similar problem. My TX2500z stated that there was an imminent failure with my hard drive, and for a while Vista wouldnt boot. It would be stuck at the vista loading screen. I couldn't go in Safe or Recovery Mode either.

After running tests same thing happened, it booted normally. Since I get the SMART disk imminent failure warning, I talked to HP and they are shipping a new Hard Drive to me this afternoon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.