HP tx2000 Tablet PC Release and Our First Look Review

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Tiffany Boggs, Jan 2, 2008.

1. ScotchtapeLoser

ScotchtapeLoser Scribbler - Standard Member

It seems that alot of people instantly equate AMD=HOT. Yes, AMD chips do run slightly hotter then the C2D but the 65nm x2 Tyler design isnt as hot as the more infamous 90nm x2 Taylor/Trinidad design. And even these were praised as being highly efficient and "cool" when they first came out vs all of the previous intel/amd chips. A few months later Intel releases the C2D and instantly everyone claims the AMDs are too hot.

I have a dell Latitude D630C with a T7200 C2D sitting next to me on my desk and it becomes hot to the touch on the bottom while using daily tasks.
    A Sony Vaio CR series with a T7250 C2D and it isnt as bad as the Dell, but it can become hot as well.

There are several reviews around the internet claiming that the tx2000 computer isnt as bad about getting hot. A few are video reviews where people are actually holding the device.

2. IsLNdbOi

IsLNdbOi Scribbler - Standard Member

I've held the device. HP had a number of them at their booth at CES. The thing is hotter than any other laptop I've owned and I've even had a laptop that had a desktop PIV processor.

3. been

been Pen Pal - Newbie

^ thanks, i agree i hope things will change soon too!

4. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I agree that there is a presumption that AMD runs hot, but that is mainly because the TDP is higher compared to the current competition. That aside, I'm pretty sure the HP design is not unusably hot. With regards to the display items at the CES booth, keep in mind that those machines are run all day, with hundreds of people fiddling with them constantly. I'd say it's normal for those machines to be hot, just like it's normal for a tiger in captivity getting poked by every kid at the zoo to be pretty pissed. Out in the range, hunting antelope is where the tiger would be suave, and I bet even if the HP booth units are preproduction, they'd be faring better in the hands of a college student.

5. IsLNdbOi

IsLNdbOi Scribbler - Standard Member

They may be on all day, but I got there at 8am when the show floor opened and the units had just been powered on.

6. jared2

jared2 Scribbler - Standard Member

Presumably, this is a desktop replacement as well. I know my laptop stays on all day and I run quite a few programs that turn the fan on my Dell (this things going to meet some pavement when my Toshiba comes in). So I highly doubt that people poking at the screen and playing with the pen should be running as much of the CPU to get it to the hottest temp. I think HP has dropped the ball on this again :(

7. ScotchtapeLoser

ScotchtapeLoser Scribbler - Standard Member

I had my office order one, and I'll let everyone know hot thermal this thing is in a few weeks. I wonder if i can get one of those kitchen laser thermometers to take a reading of the shell while the cpu is at its peak. Has anyone tried this by chance?

8. JR7

JR7 Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't seen any threads taking actual temperatures of the units, but it's a great idea.

It would be useful to see that in all the reviews, for all laptops by all manufacturers. What's "hot" to one person may be "cozily warm" to another. Plus we are global on this site, which means one person may be wearing a thick sweater and someone else a t-shirt, and that can impact their relative perception of heat.

9. VirtualKnitter

VirtualKnitter Pen Pal - Newbie

Good point - just goes to show how subjective this is. And it is all relative to what our past experiences are. My husband brought a tx1000 home the other night for me to play with to make sure I liked the size and form factor before ordering one of these. I didn't think it was warm at all, becuase my comparison is a horrible Dell 5160 that get's so hot that motherboards melt down left and right (just check the Dell user forums at www.dell.com for a 40 page thread on this issue) and the fan runs almost constantantly. So to me, it would have to run pretty hot for me to even think it was a problem. But that's because of my experience with other units. Like I said, it's all relative.

10. leepriestenator

leepriestenator Pen Pal - Newbie

I would suggest that all of you use NHC (Notebook Hardware Control) or Everest and record your CPU temp and HDD temp at max load. To have a fair comparision and compensate for climatic conditions across the globe, please include the ambient room temperature as well. This should be able to give us a fair assesment of how hot these babies get.