HP tx2000 Tablet PC Release and Our First Look Review

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Tiffany Boggs, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimnms

jimnms Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the TX2000 going to be worth waiting for + the price? I just bought a Dell M1330, but was considering the TX1000 tablet. The M1330 is a little more notebook than I really need, plus it suffers from the high pitch whine. They've sent me a new one and it still has the whine, so I'm returning it for a refund. The 13.3" size is also bigger than I expected, it was barely smaller than my old 14" non widescreen notebook, so I think I'm going to want a 12" or smaller notebook.

I was thinking of going with the TX1000 until I saw this thread. What differences are there between the TX1000 and TX2000 other than the active digitizer?

Right now I can get a fully loaded TX1000 (2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD, Litescribe DVD, 802.11a/b/g/n, bluetooth, fingerprint reader, webcam...) for $1000 + tax and free shipping.

I already sold my old notebook after getting the M1330, so I'm notebookless right now.

2. tablettablet

tablettablet Scribbler - Standard Member

Anybody know if it will have multi-touch? For example like on the I phone where you can pinch to zoom out for example and flick your finger etc. That would be a deal maker for me. Especially since it now has an active digitizer!

3. tablettablet

tablettablet Scribbler - Standard Member

So I found this info, and if you click on the link that says "duosense-tech" you get a review of the "multitouch" thing I'm talking about but it says that the technology hasn't worked with vista so far. Anybody know if this is still the case. (I mean like for as far as pinching to zoom, flicking to scroll etc.)

http://gizmodo.com/339898/hp-upgrades-entertainment-tablet-pc-to-tx2000

4. esecasco

esecasco Pen Pal - Newbie

5. esecasco

esecasco Pen Pal - Newbie

I think it might be worth the wait, but it all depends.

The key difference is going to be the Wacom digitizer, which basically gives you the ability to write with the pen while you have your palm resting on the screen (which will make for a more natural writing experience).

In addition, I believe the Wacom digitizer also allows for varying degrees of pressure (someone correct me if I'm wrong here) so if you're using something like photoshop you can create bolder lines by pressing harder, etc.

And to top it all off, the tx2000 will retain the resistive touchscreen func of the tx1000 so you can still use your finger to navigate.

Demo :

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/03/hp-intros-pavilion-tx2000-tablet-revamps-monolithic-hdx/

(note : there are two videos with the same guy, if you get the huge laptop demo, wait and it will cycle to the tx2000)

6. been

been Pen Pal - Newbie

does anyone here know when the tx2000 will be available in the UK?
    as i was almost going to purchase the tx1000 just in time for my birthday, but seeing this has made me want to wait! as it definately seems worth it!

7. KevinTablet

KevinTablet Pen Pal - Newbie

I got a question: what gave the reviewed unit a longer battery life (nearly 4hrs) while the older tx1000z series could barely last 3hrs? The tx1000z series used lower voltage CPU but it got a short battery life. I am hoping that with the 6cell battery the tx2000z would be able to get 5hrs of battery life while surfing the net and taking notes. The sub-par battery life and the screen were the biggest drawbacks of the tx1000z (at least to me), so that an improved battery life could finally convince me to put the money down.

PS: My DV1345 has a much more pleasant viewing experience in comparison to the tx1000z. I doubt the viewing experience will improve with the tx2000z but it kind does make me wonder why an older model like my dv1345 has a better screen

8. alanjrobertson

alanjrobertson Scribbler - Standard Member

I've e-mailed HP UK re. this question -will let you know what they say when they get back to me.

Alan

9. been

been Pen Pal - Newbie

thank you Alan!

10. makryger

makryger Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been tracking the tx series for a while. I have one myself. I'm disappointed that they didn't go with intel- the laptop gets way too hot, and still runs slower than it should be able to. I was hoping an intel processor would solve that problem. The wacom digitizer is a definite plus, though I don't really have trouble with the passive digitizer.

But the one thing that no one has mentioned yet, which I am glad they fixed was the right Shift key! They actually put in a full shift key, and brought down the size of the arrow keys! Thank Goodness!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.