HP tx2000 Tablet PC Release and Our First Look Review

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Tiffany Boggs, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chocobo

Chocobo Scribbler - Standard Member

Bah, the minute I buy a tablet X61s drop in price dramatically, and now this. The universe is conspiring against me, I just know it.

2. archiwiz

archiwiz Scribbler - Standard Member

U might actually be in for something very big...

3. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The one thing I hate about the HP DV series and the tx is that there is so much 'gloss' everywhere. The case is glossy and is a fingerprint magnet. The keyboard and inner base is shiny and gets dirty fast. I love the feel and design of the perforated touchpad, but those holes collect dirt like a teenagers face. Eventually, the pores have to be purged. But what really gets to me is the glossy screens.

Glossy screens are the cheapest way to make the contrast of a screen appear greater and make colors 'pop' out at the viewer. That's great when watching a movie or working with Photoshop etc. It's terrible for a portable machine. The point of having a portable machine is that you can use it at places other than your ideally lighted, cooled, comfortable study room. It should be usable in an office, in the bedroom, at breakfast, in the living room etc... And you most certainly cannot tailor the ambient variables to satisfy the needs of your mobile computing in all these environments. Hence my gripe with glossy screens:

In less than optimal lighting conditions they look washed out, reflect light, have glare from light sources, act as a mirror for any background scenery, are more prone to stains and blemishes because they are more noticeable. Even worse on a touch input tablet is that my greasy fingers will be smearing bodily secretions onto what should be a pretty picture of a screen. I can't watch a movie on the bus because of all the glare from the windows, and that annoying 10-12 second period in which the bus takes a turn and the sun catches the screen just so that it's brightness blinds me for half the trip.

No, my friends. Glossy screens are great for keeping an eye out for that surprise ninja attack from behind, but are crap for mobile use. Stationary use, ok fine. Mobile, forget it. And to think, this is an 'entertainment notebook'. I'll be mighty entertained with the sun in my eye, trying to see what's going on on my smudgetastic screen while trying to avoid light from various angles like a vampire dodging rays...

4. Mydixiwrecked00

Mydixiwrecked00 Scribbler - Standard Member

too many tablets.... too little money. the tx1000 is what sparked my interest in this. but the gateway was the way to go. waited for the dell, then saw the m700. and now this..... the second one comes out that makes coffe, does windows and takes out the trash im sold.

5. Rudegar

Rudegar Scribbler - Standard Member

"WTF? Rechargable??? Is this the line they are spinning to the masses? Hey look at us, we don't need batteries so its rechargeable!!!"

lol well they also state "genuine microsoft windows vista"

good thing they write that otherwise we would asume hp was running a bootleg pirated software scheme

6. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@quatum: I have a glossy screen and I use it everywhere! And don't think that if you have a non glossy screen and the sun shines on your display that you're still able to watch the movie without drawback. On a glossy screen you're still able to see the area the sun doesn't shines at, on a non glossy screen you'll see nothing, because all the light spreads over a much wider area. On a glossy screen the reflected light is just more precise, so you see it like a mirror, but on a non glossy screen the light is there, too, only washy, but the distraction is, at least for me, the same.

Yes, I can see the neon glow lamp in my display at the ceiling, but I can move my tablet or my document on the screen a few mm away and it doesn't annoys me anymore. But the neon glow lamp also throws the same amount of light on a non glossy screen, and the screen also refelects the light, but now I have a much wider bright blotch on my screen which annoys me, I just can't see the lamp that clear, but the distraction is the same, even worse.

And I only buy a notebook/tablet which has such a glossy screen, because the advantages are enormous.

Yes you can see the fingerprints more easy, that's the only thing which annoys me.

7. Fox

Fox Pen Pal - Newbie

Good to see HP fixing up the tx1000 series, however I wish they would have just put the active digitizer in there from the get-go. I hate to do a trade in on something I just got but they leave me no choice now.

8. alanjrobertson

alanjrobertson Scribbler - Standard Member

Didn't know a new version was coming out but really like the sound of the Wacom touchscreen on it :) On the downside I'm disappointed they're not offering Intel chips as an option as I've certainly found the AMD chips to run much hotter (and have advised friends against getting this laptop because of it). Nevertheless may be tempted to get it in a couple of months (assuming it's released over here in the UK too).

Alan

9. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've been a fan of matte screens for a while, mainly because I am more annoyed by the reflections on the glossy side of things as opposed to the bright spot on matte. I agree both have their shortcomings, and a true transflective design on all mobiles would be great, so that at that moment that the sun shines through that window on the bus, the screen won't be crippled by reflections, and just compensate by reflecting the light through the LCD element again... we can all dream, can't we?

I know the tx2k screen seems a little grainy from the photos but any ideas on how grainy it really is?

10. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Maybe the successor of the Toshiba R400 tablet will have a transflective display, because the R500 (notebook) already has one. So it should be easy for them to transform the better equipped and less expensive R500 in a tablet, which would easily push away the T2010 and the Dell XT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.