HP tx2000 Tablet PC Release and Our First Look Review

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Tiffany Boggs, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. archiwiz

archiwiz Scribbler - Standard Member

My Lenovo X61t's pen is also rechargeable... :D

2. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

so is my Gateway's then.

I've been amazed how it recharges when I write and how when I don't use it, there is no battery memory loss.

3. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Must... not... click... I'm waiting till march until after early adopters take the plunge this time round.

4. sirach38

sirach38 Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, 4 hours on a 4 cell battery, how were they able to do it? From what it appears, the tx2000 has similar specs as the tx1000 save for the wacom/active digitizer. Is the tx2000 using the same battery as the tx1000?

I just got my tx1000 but I'm sure there will be another firesale by the end of this year for the tx2000. The active digitizer is nice but with the $500 savings which I got from the recent sale, I'm pretty content right now. Besides, I can always grab a wacom digitizer. There is something to be said about having access to a keyboard. However, it looks like HP is heading in the right direction with their products.

5. archiwiz

archiwiz Scribbler - Standard Member

In that case might I suggest you move to Florida? Or take a trip to Australia... Its pretty warm this time of year and you won't be inclined to sit indoors and read up on all the goodies coming out of CES. :D

6. Michael-P

Michael-P Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the dvd burner this time replacable with a spare battery.I´d like this better than a bigger shift key....
    would be interesting too, if the noteook had a n-trig digitizer.I like capacitive touchscreens more.....

7. frankj64155

frankj64155 Pen Pal - Newbie

Tiffany, the review from PC mag had this to say regarding the writing experience:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2242981,00.asp

"When the digitizer pen (which ejects from the right corner of the unit) makes contact with the screen, the touch-screen functions step aside and don't interfere. If you put your finger against it, the touch screen kicks in. Coupled with Microsoft Vista's improved handwriting recognition software, the overall writing experience is much smoother and more enjoyable."

This leads me to wonder about what happens if/when your hand contacts the screen when utilizing the Wacom pen. Does the system get "confused" about what input method to detect? Thanks in advance.

8. quantum

I lived in North Cyprus for quite a while, heat is most definitely my enemy. It killed my car, my electronics, my brain, my fish and probably many other things. I now live in central Anatolia (Ekişehir, Turkey) and it's -9 centigrade out there as I'm writing this. It's not that I love the cold, I just prefer it to sweating my guts out and being sticky all over. Here, I can just put on another layer of clothes. That being said, I did have less of a belly on the island...

Here's stuff I wonder about the HP:

Is the finger input real 'use your greasy finger to smear the screen' type of input or 'try scraping your nail till you scratch the screen and get royally annoyed' type of passive digitizer. If they stuck with the nail junk they had on the previous tx, I'll pass.

Is the keyboard big enough? I'm all for the small form factor, but putting a kind of 'bezel' on an already cramped keyboard seems ridiculous. Use wider keys instead and it would drastically reduce RSI.

Is the screen too dim to use in the shade or in a car? Or does it reflect too much for that?

Answers to these would be greatly appreciated...

9. IsLNdbOi

IsLNdbOi Scribbler - Standard Member

From PC Magazine's Review:

"The tx2000z's SYSMark 2007 Preview Overall score, however, was identical to that achieved by the ThinkPad X61 Tablet, which uses a low-voltage (LV) Intel processor, despite the fact that the tx2000z's AMD processor is standard voltage. The standard-voltage AMD processor also needs more juice. As a result, the tx2000z generated a considerable amount of heat after about 10 minutes of use. That's why an extended battery is necessary; else you would get only around 2 hours of battery life. The 56-Wh battery achieved 3 hours 48 minutes on the MobileMark 2007 test, which isn't bad. By comparison, though, the big battery and LV processor combo in the Fujitsu and Lenovo units produced almost 5 hours of battery life."

That pretty much sums up why Turion X2 processors are bad. Even the 2.4GHz Turion X2 they had only performed as well as the LV C2D in the X61. They also confirm the heat issue which is one of the other reasons I returned the TX1000 to wait for a C2D version.

10. quantum

The tx series seems to be AMD exclusive so far...

The Turion side of things has a higher TDP, and performs less per clock. The Turion does have the advantage of a deeper sleep state which consumes less power when used, but so far that hasn't helped the case for AMD much, as most people want more uptime while doing stuff as opposed to uptime while idling or standby time. The main advantage is that a top spec tx will still cost about the same as a mid spec x61t, m700, 4220 etc. I love the design though, and for the price it will be a bargain once we start getting the coupons rolling... ;) Oh and did I forget to say that it looks real nice? I guess I didn't, but just in case, it's a beaut. Dang.

Edit: it also looks fantastic. And I like the perforated touchpad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.