HP tx2000 Tablet PC Release and Our First Look Review

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Tiffany Boggs, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IsLNdbOi

IsLNdbOi Scribbler - Standard Member

Tiffany, can you confirm if it does use a Wacom digitzer?

I didn't see that mentioned in Engadget's article. Hopefully they do offer it with C2Ds. The Turion is just bad (owned a TX1000 for a couple of weeks).

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oops, you are right. The article mashed info about two different HP units, and the Core 2 Duo part was about the other unit.

But I don't know where you are getting the idea that Turion is "bad". It's not as powerful per clock as Core 2 Duo, but it isn't as expensive either, and has slightly less thirsty power profile as well. If you want an inexpensive 12" TPC, then you can't demand a Core 2 Duo at the same time. Well, you can demand it, but you aren't gonna get unless it's way under clocked, like 1.06 or 1.2 GHz....

3. pattertj

pattertj Tablet Tweaker

I agree with Shog, the Turion isn't bad and it's power saving/undervolting abilities make it a frugal power user.

Turions may be slightly weaker but considering most tablets use ULV/LV processors, it is a step up on them with the exception on the M700/T4220.

It does appear to have Wacom... See the highlighted section...

http://www.gottabemobile.com/HPAnnouncesPavilionTX2000EntertainmentNotebookPCTabletPC.aspx

It looks sexier then all but the T2010 (tie IMO), and is much cheaper then them all as well. I can see this being a hit with college students.

4. IsLNdbOi

IsLNdbOi Scribbler - Standard Member

I got the "idea" from first hand experience with notebooks that have similarly clocked C2Ds and Turion X2s. The C2D notebooks were always faster and cooler.

If you doubt that, please ask in places like [H]ardforums, Anandtech, Xtremesystems, Bjorn3D, Tom's Hardware, etc..

No one said I was looking for an inexpensive 12" notebook, but I've seen other notebooks with C2Ds at relatively low prices. HP has 2710Ps and Lenovo has X61s at ~$1500. Gateway has the C140XL at even lower prices.

5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm no stranger to those places, and I do know that C2D is much more powerful processor per clock than Turion. But that's not the issue. The issue is whether Turion is "crap" like you say. It certainly isn't "crap", and is a good option for vendors that wants to control the price down.

Just because it isn't the best, doesn't make something utterly "crap" now, does it?

Also, there are no Core 2 Duo TPCs with similar power that's near $1300 new. No way no how. And those $1500 units you mentioned uses low clock C2Ds (1.2GHz ~ 1.6GHz). The 2.2GHz Turion would be more powerful than those units. Also the C-140 is a 14" unit. It's no big surprise why it's so much less expensive and you shouldn't have even brought that into this discussion.

6. pattertj

pattertj Tablet Tweaker

Those are fairly low prices for Tablets, but they are ULV/LV processors which will be beat by the X2 Turion in performance. They are cooler but not faster, (ULV C2D 10w vs. Turion 31W) . Standard C2D's are faster, but not cooler. (C2D 34W vs. Turion 31W), not to mention Turions can be undervolted for cooler performance without loss of performance.

The C140XL will always win the price debate, but it's weight and size make it a bit cumbersome to some users.

The true comparibles are the M700 and T4220, which come in at 1449/1749 each. The M700 is close, but still lacks the sexyness and ultimately lower price seen by the HP.

7. jared2

jared2 Scribbler - Standard Member

What about THE HEAT?!?

I returned my tx1000 for a variety of reasons, but one of them was that it would burn my leg (and was very noisy). Has this been fixed on this laptop?

Tiffy,

Any chance of doing a side by side of the M700 vs. the tx2000 when you can? I was going to place my order for the Toshiba TODAY when I saw your post... Thanks.

8. JM

JM Pen Pal - Newbie

Gah. Get AMD out of it, and I'd consider it.

Very nice tablet. Bad choice of processor.

9. jasoncli

jasoncli Scribbler - Standard Member

As a current TX1000 user, I am constantly underclocking because of the heat the device puts out under normal operating conditions (e-mail & web browsing). Since I am forced into almost mandatory underclocking, I consider it underpowered. Do you think these updated processors & upgraded laptop line will address those issues? If so then I will e-bay my current and get myself the TX2000, if not then I will need to wait. I can't imagine it being hotter. Note I live in San Diego, so it's already warm here, on a summer day I don't want to go 10 feet near my laptop :)

PS
    I would gladly pay $3,000 for a nice 6 lb gaming tablet.... someday.... sigh.

10. Tiffany Boggs

Tiffany Boggs Editor/Site Admin Senior Member

Yes, the active digitizer is Wacom. It is responsive and a much needed upgraded from the tx1000. Battery life is good around 4 hours on normal settings. Taking notes was easy and using my finger to navigate the touchscreen was fun. As for heat I didn't notice any problems. It didn't get hot, but I haven't ran all the benchmark tests yet. During normal use though the tx2000 is quiet and doesn't get hot.

For the $1,299 price I am sure they will be flying off the shelves. The screen is a little dim, but if you set it to the highest brightness setting it's ok. I am not a big fan of the glossy screens because they are so reflective and the tx2000 is the same way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.