HP TX1320US not powering up .. seems dead..

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by mustafaravat, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

based on its components, Its a bit of both. This particular nvidia chipset, is known to have a problem with heat, that causes it to essentially disentegrate, and being coupled with the amd processor, which generates alot of heat, probably accelerated the process.

Strangely HP is offering free out of warranty service on their other models w/ the nvidia chipset, but not on the tx1000 & tx2000.

2. antihero

antihero Pen Pal - Newbie

Based on what I read on the HP forums it seems as though the problem is caused by a malfunctioning motherboard.

Are you suggesting that video card itself is disintegrated? Has anyone had a specific problem with nvidia chipset disintegrating on the tx1000/tx2000?

Has anyone had a problem with the CPU chip dying altogether on the tx1000/tx2000?

Or are you suggesting that the motherboard failed due to overheating from both of those components?

I'm just trying to determine whether or not I should fork over cash to get HP to fix my motherboard, only to end up having to replace the CPU and video card later. I hear people quoting $300 to replace the motherboard, and I assume replacing the CPU would cost at least another $200 and similarly for the video card, putting my estimate at a total of anywhere from $300 to $700. On the high end, I'd much rather just a basic nofrills laptop that I know for certain will last a year, instead of rolling the dice with my currently dead tx1000.

3. neogen

neogen Pen Pal - Newbie

Just a quick update: I have been contacted by HP to diagnose the machine for free.. I am not sure whether they will repair for free.. will keep you posted

4. antihero

antihero Pen Pal - Newbie

Neogen - that's a start...

I'm just slowing transferring my files off my hard drive (converted into external HD) right now before I go through the process with HP....

Are they diagnosing for free by phone or are they having you send it in?

By the way are you dealing with HP in USA? Or somewhere else?

Keep us updated! Thanks....

5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

6. Thokas

Thokas Too many laptops...

Best advice I can give you is take the laptop in at Geeksquad. They will send it to their service center and are authorized to repair HP products under MFG warranty. Best situation is that your system qualifies for 2 year limited warranty on the system board. HP issues these service alerts on most laptops that have the defective Nvidia chipset. Since the system board is out of stock you could qualify for a exchange for a new laptop such as a tx2525nr. Worst case, the unit is not covered, or they find spillage or something weird and give you a COD estimate. Which will probably be more then the unit is worth. Board out of stock equals really high vendor prices. Make sure you only complain about the systemboard. Any other issues reported will not be covered under MFG and they will be forced to give you a COD estimate for everything.

Worth a shot.

I've replaced a good 2000 or so systemboards on the tx series alone. Very rarely have I encountered a bad CPU on a tx1000/tx2000. In those cases it resulted in a faulty fan cooking the cpu to death. Generally the system board's GPU is dead and thus bricks the unit. It is hard to diagnose these since you have to have the new systemboard to see if there is an issue with the CPU.

Hope this helps.

7. neogen

neogen Pen Pal - Newbie

Apologies for such long delay in responding...

I was dealing with HP USA, which seems to have forwarded my case to HP, India...

My laptop was picked-up by HP from my house on 28th Nov..

A week back I got a call from HP and was informed that there is a problem with some part on the Motherboard.. and the part is being sourced from USA. I was told that I should expect my laptop during week of 15th Dec..

Today I got a call from HP local service centre that my laptop has been repaired.. and would be delivered at my house today itself.

At 6:30 PM the laptop was delivered to me.

Its really a great feeling to have your laptop back in working condition..

Excellent service so far from HP...:) :D

Only one issue: I can't see battery power icon on task bar:confused:

8. halfnocturnal

halfnocturnal Pen Pal - Newbie

Dam, This has happened to me too!
    My Tx2050ea did this about a month ago and after numerous attempts to turn it on, it worked!
    Then it happened again yesterday. Only this time it took a lot longer!
    I tried everything, I took the battery out to let the power drain out of the motherboard, i reinstalled the ram, and contently trying to turn it on.
    Eventually i got it to work.
    After reading this post i realize i should of just sent it back to hp rather than trying to sort the problem myself. I can't send it back now since it's working again,
    I just hope it happens again so i can send it back to hp straight away!:(

9. thefinalgamer

thefinalgamer i miss my tablet

same thing happened to me but hp wants to charge me about $450 to fix it. i am going to replace the mobo once i find one. anyone know where i can get one? i have a tx1499us

10. neogen

neogen Pen Pal - Newbie

Well my joy was quite short as the laptop developed the snag again after two months of repair... same problem as earlier.. it has again gone for repair..

I have blogged my experience here at DiaryDot

thefinalgamer: You should get this repaired for free from HP.. you should send an email to the CEO of HP here:

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/execteam/email/hurd/index.html

Do keep us posted...

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.