HP tx1000 tablet PC screen/pen - poor writing (video)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by eddiehosa, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiehosa

eddiehosa Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all tx1000 owners,

I just bought a tx1120us today and was a little dissappointed at the screen. I don't know if it is just my model or if it is the same with everyone's model.

Please check out this youtube video I made and let me know if your writing responsiveness was around the same. Note the broken lines in the writings and the circles. For example, "hello" almost looks like "nello". The circles are also not complete circles. If so, let me know, If not and your performance was better, I may go have the notebook model exchanged.

(The youtube video isnt too clear after compression)http://youtube.com/watch?v=ErtqzZ44W2Q

Also is it just me or is like the fan always on at low or sometimes medium whirring speeds? (And I did set the processor minimum to 5%).

Thanks,
    Eddie

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi Eddie,

Unlike a Tablet PC with an active digitizer, which utilizes radio frequencies, the HP tx1000 uses a passive digitizer, or a touchscreen - which senses for any pressure being applied.
    When the writing is compared between a Tablet PC with an active digitizer between a passive digitizer, like the one the tx1000 has, it's a difference of day and night.

Let's take a look at another tx1000, there's considerable lag when the user writes out Kanji characters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08vEPKWxbuk - notice the user has to correct the characters several times to be correct. I think when the user writes out: "ABCD", I can see it recognizes it as "ARCD".
    Another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4yvImAWxq8&mode=related&search= - Same Kanji video, but the user taps the screen many times, most likely in frustration, to bring up the TIP (Tablet Input Panel).
    Another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-xW_eFqcLw

Now let's look at a demo of an Asus R1F which uses an active digitizer from Wacom, which I believe is from a user of this forum: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdBbi9VERDU

My friend who owns a laptop with a AMD Turion 64 1.8 GHz (Note: not a Turion X2) complains that the fan is always on, even when idle. There's considerable heat when he brought it in to show me. One of my family member's work laptops with an Intel Core Duo T2500 (2.0 GHz) doesn't demonstrate any of the above, and the fan is hardly on.

3. scoobie

scoobie Pen Pal - Newbie

I've only used one briefly but this is what I got too. Even as passive screens go I'd say its bad. If you read elsewhere in this forum and www.gottabemobile.com 's HP forums, and some press reviews, everyone says the same thing

4. eddiehosa

eddiehosa Pen Pal - Newbie

Did anyone else who own a tx1000 experience something similar?

5. alanjrobertson

alanjrobertson Scribbler - Standard Member

The writing was bad on mine initially but greatly improved after a week or so - it was a gradual improvement but I'm not pretty happy with it.

Cheers

Alan

6. thebranded

thebranded Pen Pal - Newbie

second the above. noticed hugh improvements after a bout a week of use. still not satifactory but not as bad as initial use.

7. cooljoe10

cooljoe10 Football Star(slotback)

ok so here is something i would like to put out there as a notebook the price you pay is great for all you can get in it but for that price how good would you really expect the screen to be(touch screen)

8. stealthy1

stealthy1 Pen Pal - Newbie

honestly, the tx1000 series isn't ALL that good. I mean, of course it isn't a true tablet, but for me, I can write my notes and have it change into text without major recognition errors (words like electronegativity sometimes doesn't get recognized). I've had this tablet for about 3 months now, and I'm finding the screen is pretty responsive. Again, of course not as responsive as my friend's Asus R1F, but it does the trick when my budget is about 1500 (I realize I could have bought a Gateway, but when I found that out it was too late)

9. DeltaSam

DeltaSam Pen Pal - Newbie

hey Ed

Been a while since you posted but anyways...

I took the time to register to this forum (I was orginnaly searching for tablet pens) just to answer to you cause I think I should share what i know about tablets so that you avoid further confusions

I've been around tablets for quite a while now, I have friends (and know other people) with all kinds of tablets.

1st you should know the TX1000 and TX2000 series are not as good as the other tablets
    I noticed that most of the time when looking for portable computers you either get a 100% comfortable keyboard style like regular laptops with no (usable surface screens), or you get like 50-50 laptop between comfort-size/tablet-functions or you get 100% ultra nice tablets with horrendous laptop use (like when they're unfold).
    And the TX1000 series (and TX2000) is exactly at the 50-50, this series is like a crappy tablet that can become a crappy laptop too but can assume both roles.

2nd about the TX1000 specifically, you should know the pen is crappy cause it has no eraser and the screen is not sensitive to pressure at all, it requires to kinda like fully press the pen against it for "acceptable writing"
    Also, there's a few things you should know to make it work nicely:
    1-Writing is really better when using max (or high) processor speed cause
    otherwise there is a weird lag that causes the writing to be all messed up
    2-Do the writing training (the one that helps recognize the handwriting
    better). If not, in time vista will recognize better but it's gonna take lotsa
    use.
    3-Vista recognizes handwriting much better than XP

Some tablets have way better screens (sensitive pressure and all) but they can't convert to a nice laptop when you unfold them.
    Also about that fan thing, yeah it is really slow but it's because otherwise it would be too loud and ppl would complaint about it.

So if anybody got any other questions or wanna talk about tablets I'd be happy to answer.

Later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.