HP Tx1000 One Month Review (To Buy or Not To Buy)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Poland, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poland

Poland Pen Pal - Newbie

I guess I'll start the review by stating if this purchase is going to be worth your while, depends on the price. I paid $850 off a Slickdeal when HP had $300 off coupon, now that considered, I am EXTREMELY satisfied with it, with the additional options I added on it ended up being around $1000US. It is configured as follows

2 ghz Dual Core AMD
    2 gb ram (upgraded with aftermarket)
    160 gb hard drive
    Touchscreen
    Dvd Cd Burner with Lightscribe
    Nvidia video card (only option)
    6-cell battery
    Fingerprint reader
    Web-cam
    Bluetooth
    ABG Wireless (Non-N)
    Remote
    Media card reader
    EXTREMELY gorgeous finish

I’ll try to keep it short and sweet so…. and I’ll also mention that I’m not a demanding user, just Photoshop maybe Adobe Premiere and some audio/video editing (no gaming).

Pro's
    >The Tx1000 is pretty snappy with Vista and 2gb of ram, navigating windows is pretty much instantaneous.
    >Programs open with speed (Photoshop, Limewire, Premiere Pro open in abt 5-10 sec).
    >On idle with sidebar running I have about 1.3gb of ram free,
    >Battery last a good 2 ½ hours with aggressive power-saving and at screen brightness 60%.
    >Touchscreen is fun and can come in handy with Photoshop, etc, I have noticed a break-in period though, it is much easier to use now then when new.
    >Plenty of HD space
    >Good Wi-fi Antennae range (depending on router of course)
    >Nice Keyboard for such small size
    >All right handwriting recognition
    >Decent Speakers
    >Non-finicky fingerprint reader
    >The finish is beautiful compared to most other drab consumer laptops

Con's
    >Runs very hot and fan will always be on (AMD!) (Friend has 15.4 HP with Intel and it never runs as hot as mine)
    >NOT A TABLET REPLACEMENT! I would like to state that this WILL NOT take the place of a real tablet with active digitizer, you have to apply a lot of pressure for recognition, and would not be suitable for painting, drawing, etc.
    >Screen Graininess- there is noticeable graininess in the screen due to the touch screen “dots” (you can see them with the screen off) it is especially noticeable on white backgrounds. (My wallpaper is predominantly black for this reason) But this is a trade-off for touch screen.
    >Battery protrudes off back about 1 inch, not extremely detrimental but it would much slicker with a flush battery
    >Touch screen stays in previous mode that it was in at shutdown until Windows logon (again, nitpicking)
    >No option for dedicated video card
    >Media card reader eats MS Pro cards, this is possibly the case with all card readers, but my MS Pro stick out of phone gets lost in the bay (can’t grab with fingernails), I have an extension I use to correct this.
    >Stylus holder has somehow broken (instead of popping in and out, you can now just pull it out, but it catches on something?)

Now you can see most of the cons are just me nitpicking…

You get what you pay for people, So bottom line if you can find it below $1000, buy it!

$1200? and up….…. I think you’d be better off spending a little bit more and getting a real professional tablet.

I’m open to questions, thanks for taking time read this and I hope it helps someone.

2. Speed

Speed Programmer + Tablet Lover

Its worth pointing out that in the UK, it ships with both 4-cell and 6-cell batteries, and you can't change this.

In addition, I was caught out that the card reader didn't read Compact Flash.

I'm 2 months in and VERY happy with my purchase.

3. been

been Pen Pal - Newbie

I am also really interested in purchasing the tx1000. Speed, i was just wondering where you bought your's because i was going to buy mine at john lewis but they don't do the tx1138 anymore? It's a bit strange, as a week ago on the website they still had it but now they don't!

4. Wongway

Wongway Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I've had mine for about a month now, and I'll be the first to say that there are cons to it.

I think I'm being pretty realistic however, since most of the really "good" tablet PC's are at least a couple hundred more than what I had paid for mine.

Supposing that Tablet PC functionality is secondary to a decent performing, small portable laptop, then in my opinion it is a VERY good buy. However, if tablet functionality is an absolute must, then it is not worth the money or your probable aggravation.

5. Rudegar

Rudegar Scribbler - Standard Member

"it ships with both 4-cell and 6-cell batteries, and you can't change this."

because one would pref only 1 batt ?

"In addition, I was caught out that the card reader didn't read Compact Flash."

as in it dont have a slot for them or it's defect ?
    personaly i mainly want SD anyway and ext readers are almost free :p

personaly i dont own one yet but i'd like to

since no humanbeing can deciper my handwriting not even me i would prob be using the touch for clicking and maybe using onscreen keyboard when writing at a lvl which would not make me fold out the keyboard was needed

and maybe drawing a picture of lucky luke which is pretty much the content of my artistic skills :p

6. Speed

Speed Programmer + Tablet Lover

Some people want to get rid of as much as possible to lower the price - I've even been asked if they do a non-Lightscribe version of the DVD burner, even though it would save just a few pounds really.

The Card Reader is not big enough to accept a CompactFlash card. Only a problem for me with my uncle's camera - SD is what I use it for mainly.

I purchased mine directly from HP - it was a custom build and I only paid £760 for what should have been £1,000+. Beware that they take a long time to ship (a month!).

I love the touchscreen - I do very little drawing (diagrams in lessons), but the ability to just tap the "Hibernate" button whilst putting the computer away, and tab the icon to see my timetable is amazing.

Very good purchase... provided you want to spend that amount (i.e. if you just want a laptop, there are cheaper ones, but if you want to spend £760, this is the one to go for (imho))

7. Rudegar

Rudegar Scribbler - Standard Member

i already have 2 laptops and my gf have 1 too
    but the 2 i have are realted to jobs and not really my own
    and not as nice acording to do needs as an tx1XXX would be :p

8. DieselNYC

DieselNYC Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had mine for several months now and have to say that it is fantastic to use. The only thing you have to remember is that it is not a true inking tablet compared to active screens but besides that I don't have any cons. Since I don't need true inking it's not a problem.

One thing, people talk about the grainy screen and before I got it I was worried about it coming with a really bad screen. It turns out that the screen is very nice and I'm very happy with the sharp bright screen on the tx1000. Due to the touch layer there is something you can make out over the screen but it's hardly something you'd complain about and the touch feature benefit greatly outweighs the slight grain.

Great laptop and great price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.