hp tx1000 - Bringing in the charm of XP

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by ccfj1, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexinc

alexinc Pen Pal - Newbie

yes, i did a clean vista install from original vista-dvd, as i'm not happy with pre-configured systems from any pc-dealer... way to much programs slowing down the system and i never use. so clean vista-install was first choise! and rotate-button just started working after installing nvidia-display-drivers! so i guess with clean xp installation its the same. after installing the right display-drivers (whatever may be the right ones...) AND installing the quicklaunch buttons will do the trick (hopefully).

2. ncosper

ncosper Pen Pal - Newbie

good luck.. the bs vista home version is why is started experimenting with other versions of windows. The fact that in the home version group policies are completely removed so that you absolutely cannot gain full administrative rights, is amazing to me. I tried to upgrade of ultimate and ended up with a ton of problems so then came xp....

3. alexinc

alexinc Pen Pal - Newbie

i only need for my "dream-system" on my tx1000! ;o)

winxp pro + all quicklaunch buttons working + hp quickplay direct! :D

4. cellneuron

cellneuron Pen Pal - Newbie

For those who already downgraded to xp, can you post some mini review about your experience with xp on tx1000z? I went through all 17 pages and I didn't find much feedbacks, let alone good feedbacks.

Is the touch screen sensitivity improved in xp? Is the battery life or performance improved? Did anybody try xp tablet 2005? what's the experience again?

Thanks a lot.

5. tan880121

tan880121 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there. I would like to share some of mine opinion after downgrade it into xp.

After I purchased tx1316au on 4th Jan, I formatted it into xp straight after burning my recovery dvds.

Overall Improvements:
    1. Performance:
    RAM Usage:
    - idle in Vista, the RAM consumed is 1.3Gig.
    - idle in XP, the RAM consumed is 400Meg.
    * Just basic system configuration, no other software running on.
    * for XP, the basic system software also included the ritePen and Comfort-On screen keyboard.

2. Touch screen:
    Vista - Not really responsive with OEM configurated software.
    XP - REALLY responsive for a stylus with customised value of TouchKit.

Gesture:
    Vista - I must admit M$ did a great job to improve this thing.
    XP - Quite hard to use mouse gesture since it's stylus with no right click buttons on stylus.

3. Battery Life:
    This section I cant tell much because I didnt compare it with Vista.

XP - 4 cell - Running at max performance(a lot software running, WiFi) - 2hrs.
    XP - 6 cell - "same" - 3hrs.

4. Text recognition:
    As you know. This is passive touch screen and it used stylus. You really cant aspect much with it.

Vista - Many ppl said that it's good. But I havent experience it b4.
    XP - Much more better with ritePen, somehow it has it's limitation on stylus.

5. Drawing:
    As you know. This is passive touch screen and it used stylus. You really cant aspect much with it.

Vista - no idea.
    XP - this is a stylus, passive thingy.. cant expect much with preasure and sensitivity.. But this is fun..

Overall conclusion:
    Vista - not really suitable with this AMD processor.
    XP - will do it.. strongly encourage..

6. DanMcG

DanMcG Pen Pal - Newbie

I just installed XP on my friend's Tx1000z, complete with all the drivers listed in this thread, and everything works except for the webcam. I've tried reinstalling the provided HP webcam drivers a couple times, but when I attempt to run it by going into the start menu -> HP -> HP Webcam, a dialog box pops up that says, "This image cannot be viewed properly, please check your camera plug in!" When I look at the devices listed in the little cam window, it just has the realtek audio device, no mention of a camera. How can I get this little thing working? A final question, how do I input a serial number into Pivot 7.68 so it'll stop popping up with the trial window?

7. pcuser

pcuser Pen Pal - Newbie

Try uninstall the webcam from Device Manager and reinstall again.. if that does not work, try anoher webcam driver from this site.. or its driver file
    http://skyjuiceiswater.blogspot.com/2007/12/dual-booting-hp-tx1209-tablet-notebook.html

Best of luck...

QUOTE=DanMcG;91986]. I've tried reinstalling the provided HP webcam drivers a couple times, ..... A final question, how do I input a serial number into Pivot 7.68 so it'll stop popping up with the trial window?[/QUOTE]

8. Kewima

Kewima Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm planning on downgrading to XP Tablet Edition quite soon. Before I do however, I would like to make absolutely sure that I will be able to go back to Vista if I am unsatisfied or unable to get everything working properly. I don't anticipate this happening, but I'd like to keep my bases covered. Are the HP recovery disks/partition enough to reinstall vista on a clean drive, or are they just a windows repair/restore sort of utility? Also, if I obtain physical disks for Vista, will the serial key printed on the bottom of my laptop work with them, or is is specific to some particular HP installation of Vista? Thanks.

9. arvean

arvean Pen Pal - Newbie

27 thousands views of the thread... sweeeet does that make me famous or something?:pPPPP

10. pcuser

pcuser Pen Pal - Newbie

Kewima,

The recovery disk will reinstall the Vista clean if you have chosen factory default. It will re-format the disk and also restore the partitions as if nothing has ever happened to the machine. HP expects its customers to restore the machine back to Vista if they ever want to send back the machine for repair. No need another copy of Vista...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.