hp tx1000 - Bringing in the charm of XP

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by arvean, Nov 18, 2007.

1. arvean

arvean Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Guys,

I really like this forum, and after reading few of your posts I've decided to contribute a little as well. Not long ago I got interested in this small tablet, and after doing some research I've decided to buy one. My only concern was Vista running on it, and unfortunately I was right. The processor, video card and system itself is to weak to handle vista in a comfortable way. We can argue at this point but vista is a true resource hog. Being an IT technician myself I just had to have a reliable and fast working system. There was just one option - XP
    ( Actually I tried to install MAC OS on it, but it failed).

It's not easy to make this baby work on XP. After you install the system, it lacks 80% of drivers, and of course they are not available since HP is compliant with MS and removed them from their site ( as well as Nvidia). But little research and some downloads left me with a package of 400MB+ with around 18 files for most of the devices. The only thing that doesn't work for me are those 4 buttons. You can live with that since the only button I've used on vista was rotation and settings( you can still have it with software.

The reason for my post is to share my experience. Vista was slow - ridiculously slow. Instalation of Age of Empire 3 lasted for 35 minutes, and main screen showed one core processor, with 64mb of video memory. The game itself was extremely slow and low-res. On XP everything is smooth and reliable and first of all extremely fast. No more waiting for Itunes to open 10 seconds. Boot time is half of the time vista took to boot. People claim that handwriting recognition is far worse. Can't agree - it recognizes everything as well as vista.

I'm not here to make you downgrade. I'm just wondering what makes people keep vista, while XP is really the system to keep this tiny laptop reliable. For me vista is done, unless I get an uber-computer. If anybody have any questions about the install feel free to ask.

Just to make it faster guys please find navigation(special thanks to Lee)

Scroll to Post #38 and #39
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=11987&page=4

Direct Links
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showpost.php?p=86955&postcount=38

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showpost.php?p=86955&postcount=39

2. arian

arian Pen Pal - Newbie

Good post Arvean,

I am experiencing the same speed problems plus a constant HD reading that i am not able to understand.

I am now thinking on installing a Vista Lite, but i am not sure if this is going to change anything, what do you think?

Otherway I will sure need your help for installing XP. Thanks in advanced.

3. arvean

arvean Pen Pal - Newbie

I feel that Vista Lite won't change a thing. It's still the same system with just few features cut out. I'd go with XP. I have it for more almost a week now, and not looking back.

4. Rudegar

Rudegar Scribbler - Standard Member

vista home P works well enough for me so far if i'm putting another os in dualboot it will be ubuntu

5. arvean

arvean Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not saying it doesn't work. But if you compare speeds of XP and Vista it makes you consider. On th other hand Ubuntu might be a good option. How about touchscreen in Ubuntu?

6. ChrisConley

ChrisConley Pen Pal - Newbie

Where can you get Windows XP for tablets? Anywhere I look it says that it can't be ordered and has to be factory installed.

7. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Chris,

Check out Best Buy for Business, I'm not sure if they ship outside the U.S., but if you are in the U.S. (can't tell, no location is identified in your profile) you could check it out here: http://www.bestbuybusiness.com/bbfb...etail&showAddButton=true&productID=BB10642883

Amazon.com sells Windows XP:TPCE2005 (although through a different company), there are two types:
    - OEI (unable to comprehend what that means, should be similar to OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer): http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Table...sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1195589912&sr=8-2
    - System Builders: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Win...sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1195589912&sr=8-1

8. Rudegar

Rudegar Scribbler - Standard Member

9. thebranded

thebranded Pen Pal - Newbie

When you installed Winxp did it just over write the vista partition and leave the resore partition alone? or did you lose the restore partition?

Would like to try XP but dont want to loses the restore partition.

10. arvean

arvean Pen Pal - Newbie

restoration partition was fine. I just formatted the C: Drive. It won't hurt the restore drive

11. btag

btag Pen Pal - Newbie

Arvean, I fully agree with you. Installing windows xp tablet 2005 was the best thing I ever did with this tablet. It made it vastly more usable and faster.
    One thing I was wondering is which video driver did you use? I used the GeForce Go 6100 instead (no GeForce Go 6150) since it seems to be rather stable at the moment. The only problem is it seems to have issues coming out of power save. I was wondering if you found a solution to this problem. Also did you have any luck on the screen rotation?

12. cpluse

cpluse Pen Pal - Newbie

How is Windows XP for tablets compared to Vista tablet features. IS there any loss in features. Vista is not all that to me. I user XP more on desktop. But I want to know will my table feature go away with Windows XP for tablets.

13. mjmshaw

mjmshaw Pen Pal - Newbie

I downgraded to XP Professional for a while as there were 2/3 software packages that wouldn't run on Vista (thanks ADOBE) until I upgraded. All of the drivers were on the HP site except for Realtek Audio and Nvidia driver (both of which are avaliable on the parent company website).
    Boy was it fast ... evn with 1gb memory. Though I miss the ability to rotate the screen ... this machine is a great ebook reader and convenient snuggle-up sofa web browser!

Cons?
    Vista
    Poor 4-cell battery life.
    Inconveniently placed page up/down button
    Unresponsive DVD manual eject button
    Would prefer the VGA adaptor port on back
    Too many HP specific software packages and useless games installed by default; particularly the persistent internet signup dialog which won't go away

14. jerusalem

jerusalem Pen Pal - Newbie

yo thank you for posting this, but
    can you post how to actually do it? im going to DL tablet edition from a torrent. will i need a new license? will it downgrade easily? which drivers do i need from HP.com? where do i find the others?

15. cpluse

cpluse Pen Pal - Newbie

And you mean you lost the function to rotate you screen? Anything else you can ad, i want to make sure when i down grade im not missing anything thing. I wonder it you install vista, with out bloat will it work better too"?

16. rondread444

rondread444 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello people, I have a tx1210us a non-touchscreen version. Can I dual boot my system (Vista: XP) with no problems?:confused:

17. thebranded

thebranded Pen Pal - Newbie

ah sweet, so a normal Xp tablet ed install on C: is all you did drivrs were fromthe Hp site and/or the vendors.

ANd i guess since the restore partitiaon was not touched if i perform a restore i'l have Vista back right?

If thats the case i'll be trying the WinXP tablet edition before i fork out more money on ram! Vista sux on this machine....

18. arvean

arvean Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep. That's correct.
    Guys if you need packages of drivers PM me. Will help

19. monk_boy

monk_boy Pen Pal - Newbie

For video drivers: http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files&go=cat&dwn_cat_id=10&go=giveme&dwn_id=509

They're modified drivers, but they work for the Geforce Go 6150. The only issue I've had with them is that when resuming from standby or hibernate the display is messed up. All you'll need to do is press fn+f4 twice to switch to external CRT/LCD and back again. You'll be able to rotate the screen with nVidia's control panel. I have this installed on XP Pro not Tablet Edition. It should work the same.

List of all of their modified drivers versions: http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files&go=cat&dwn_cat_id=10

Did any of you have an issue with the battery not being recognized in XP? I have 2 unknown ACPI devices in the Device Manager, and I'm guessing one is the battery.

20. arvean

arvean Pen Pal - Newbie