HP TouchSmart Tx2 tweaks

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TX2 (N-trig)' started by IamGibby, Sep 18, 2009.

1. IamGibby

IamGibby Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello and welcome to Tablet PC Forums.

This thread is and will be designed towards tweaking your newly purchased HP Touchsmart Tx2 tablet laptop.

Assuming that you just purchased your laptop and haven't already tweaked it yourself, you'll start to notice the system CPU and Memory run abnormally high at what seems to be all the time.

Listed here are examples of procedures that I've performed to reduce my CPU/Memory usage by a substantial amount.

• Reduce the amount of programs startup with the system.
      • It's not necessary to have programs you won't use extremely often to run all the time, every time. So disabling them will allow your system to A: startup faster and B: Run faster with less hangups. Best of all, if you want to use that fancy SmartMenu later, it still runs.
    • Reduce the Memory displacement from Mozilla Firefox
      • If you're not a Mozilla Fan you're welcome to skip this section as it only pertains to use of Firefox. Firefox, in my opinion, is an amazing web browser with constant advancing updates and seems to be more accurate than Internet explorer (again, in my opinion). However, it comes at a price with a hefty system resource assumption. The steps here will help Firefox substantially.
    • Tweak Windows For Best performance with out losing the cool look.
      • This step is extremely simple but effective at reducing the resource usage from Windows.

Now, Down to business.

Very firstly, lets create a system restore date. I do this whenever I do extensive computer alterations or installations as an extra fail-safe (my computer creates a restore date once a week already.)

To begin this, click the windows icon (or press the windows key) and type in 'System Restore' Click the icon and then give UAC permission to open the Application.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once inside this window, click the link located at the bottom of the window reading 'To create a restore point, open System Protection.' click on the 'open system protection.' link.

If you've done everything right so far, you'll have this window:
    [​IMG]

If your system HDD isn't already selected, select it and click Apply. If it was already selected or you just selected it and clicked apply, you now can click the 'Create' button. It'll produce an input box for you to put a description in. Put in anything that will help you know the date and time for a future roll back if need be. Click the create button on the input box and let it do it's thing. Once done, click Apply and/or OK.

Now, onto the important part of this topic.

First click or press the windows icon (key) and type into the search bar, "Msconfig" with out the quotation marks. Click it and tell the UAC it's ok to run this program.

If successful, you'll have a window open that looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Once there Click the Startup Tab. uncheck Everything except the ones shown below:
    [​IMG]

(Note, The HD Audio Control Panel is not necessary just a nice alternative to the systems volume control, and the Windows Live can be disabled / Wont be there if you don't use Windows Messenger. Lastly the WMPNSCFG is for file sharing with Windows Media Player, which if you never plan on doing, can also be disabled (I use it for Music Connections between all my desktops, my tablet and my 360) And lastly Adobe Acrobat can be disabled too for it doesn't take too long to load on its own if you actually open a PDF (standard computer use is less common, I'm college student tho, so I'm looking at PDF's a lot going over Lecture notes.)

Now once you've removed all those other non-necessary applications, you can click Apply and then OK. It'll prompt you to restart, say No (we'll do that in a bit.)

We'll save Mozilla For last since it's opinionated.

Now to optimize Windows as stated above. First you have to get to your System Settings, to do this do one of the 3 following methods:

• Method One: Right click and select properties on your Computer Desktop Icon.

• [​IMG]
    • Method Two: Open the start bar (Click the windows icon or press the windows key) and Right click the 'Computer' button and select properties.

• [​IMG]
    • Method Three: Open the start bar (click the windows icon or press the windows key) and type in 'System' and click the appropriate icon.

• [​IMG]

Now if done properly you'll be prompted with a window like this:
    [​IMG]

Click the fourth option down on the left pane 'Advanced System Settings'.

Again, if done properly, You'll be prompted with a window like this:
    [​IMG]

Once here, Click the first Settings button down from the top under 'Performance'.

Inside that window there are 3 options in this window to choose from:
    • Let Windows choose whats best for my Computer
    • Adjust for best Appearance.
    • Adjust for best Performance.

We're going to first, select Adjust for best performance, then turn on the bare minimum to keep up the appearance output looking the same. Set them as follows:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now once you've done that, click Apply and then OK.

You are officially done revamping the computer portion. If you don't intend to use Mozilla then congratulations, You're done and you may restart your computer to see the difference in CPU/Memory Usage.

Now for us Mozilla fans, let's get down to business.

Mozilla Gets bigger and bigger with every tab and every second that goes bye, so the more periodic you exit out and reload Mozilla (saving tabs of course) the better.

a HUGE Resource is Flash, its everywhere and its like the cookie monster in a cookie factory.. It loves to use up space. My favorite way of fixing this is to install the Mozilla Extension 'Flashblock' it puts a play icon in the place of any Flash on the screen and you have to click play on anything that you want to play. Now this might annoy you so you can choose not to do this, but I find it amazing for stopping that crap flash advertisement from loading. but this does make a huge Mozilla difference in Memory usage for me.

Link to the extension

Another way is to disable any extension and/or plug-ins you installed just for fun and never use, they take up a good portion of Memory to run. the less the better.

Disable Java plugin will reduce your resource too, java is less common but still around, I personally do this and just leave javascript on, it covers most of the java stuff out there, if you want to, Click Tools > Options > Content (tab) > disable the check on 'Enable Java' then OK.

You can also configure the console in Mozilla, but I'm not going to get into that for it's advanced and I'd rather not get into all that. Feel free to google something like 'Mozilla Optimize with console' or something.

This is my CPU Usage while running Microsoft One Note, Mozilla Firefox (multi-tabbed and Streaming music)) and MSN.
    [​IMG]
    Note: This is not in slate mode, this is in standard laptop mode. Once in slate, the CPU usage with the same applications opened goes from ~5% to ~25%.

Hope this helps anyone with this laptop's factory settings and the high CPU usage annoys you.

Good luck.

Chris.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Incitatus

Incitatus Scribbler - Standard Member

I would also strongly recommend, for that extra little performance boost,
    unless you feel you can't live without it, Disable "Windows sidebar" in Vista.

It is a resource HOG!

3. IamGibby

IamGibby Pen Pal - Newbie

Yea that's part of the MsConfig part of my walk through, its not one of the apps i told people to leave on.

4. WickedGirl

WickedGirl Pen Pal - Newbie

Totally agree IAmGibby! and with Firefox up to version 25.01, it has become even more obnoxious. It routinely uses up to 50% of my laptop PC's processor power, and yes, Adobe Flash seems to be the main culprit. Not installing Flash turns out to be very problematic since it is needed to view a huge percentage of web sites. So, I have something to add to the tweaks you listed.

FlashBlock is a must, as you said. One additional idea...create multiple profiles to use in Firefox. In each profile, install only the extensions needed for the category of web use that will be done during a given round of surfing. For example, create a profile labeled Banking and Shopping. Install your password ext. and whatever else is needed only for those functions. If you use certain extensions to maintain Firefox, like bookmark duplicate checkers, FavIcon pickers or reloaders, etc., create a profile labeled Firefox Maintenance and install only those extensions there. Use the command Firefox.exe -p in the Start/Run box, and you will be given to create and select from the created profiles as well as selecting whether to always ask which profile to use (you probably already know this yourself).

This won't work for every extension, since some will need to be used within your main profile, but for a great many of the extensions that are installed to play with or only use once in a while, this would help.