HP TouchSmart tx2 Brings Multi-Touch Screen To Notebooks

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Jerry Jackson, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry Jackson

Jerry Jackson Managing Editor, TechnologyGuide Staff Member

HP today introduced its latest addition to the TouchSmart family of personal computers, the TouchSmart tx2 convertible notebook. The HP TouchSmart tx2 features a 12-inch widescreen multi-touch display, AMD processors and ATI graphics in an attractive mobile design. At last you can forget about a touchpad or mouse and simply touch the screen!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

HP's innovative notebook PC designs have earned quite a few fans over the years, and the high-gloss HP Imprint finish remains one of the most durable and attractive consumer notebook finishes on the market. The tx2's new "Reaction" Imprint finish is an all new pattern "inspired by the circular elements found in audio equipment."

Observant readers will notice that the overall chassis design of the new TouchSmart tx2 is virtually identical to this year's earlier release of the HP Pavilion tx2500z. Indeed, the tx2 is essentially the same as a tx2500z tablet PC with the addition of an all new multi-touch display panel and a new Imprint finish.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

A True Multi-Touch Experience

As with all HP TouchSmart PCs, the tx2 comes with TouchSmart software, which makes it easier for consumers to access digital media and entertainment. The TouchSmart software is specifically designed for multi-touch input. The touch screen allows users to interact with their computer in a unique way. The tx2 traditional Tablet PC capabilities and multi-touch entertainment features in an attractive design light enough to go anywhere. With multi-touch support within HP MediaSmart, it is the first notebook PC for consumers that enables the use of two fingers to navigate HP's entertainment applications.

HP has developed a specific set of gestures to help you get the most from your TouchSmart
    tx2:

SINGLE, DOUBLE TAP: Select objects by touching them once (single tap), or double tap to open objects/programs.[/li]
      FLICK: Scroll or pan within an application either horizontally or vertically. For example, in MediaSmart Photo, flick your finger to the left on the display and the inertia from your flick will move the photos leftward, just as if you pushed a piece of paper to the left on a table.[/li]
      PRESS & DRAG: Touch an object on the display and hold and drag it to the desired destination.[/li]
      ARC: Allows you to move tracks to/from playlists without having to make a straight line.[/li]
      PINCH: Touch an object on the display once to select the item then place 2 fingers on opposite corners of the object, then move them closer together to decrease the object’s size or to zoom out. Move fingers away from one another to enlarge the object or to zoom in.[/li]
      ROTATE: Rotate photos by touching the object once to select the item then use 2 fingers on opposite corners of the image and rotate the image either clockwise or counter-clockwise.[/li]
      LAUNCH MEDIASMART: Touch the screen with two fingers together and write the letter M on the display to launch the MediaSmart Smart Menu.[/li]

[​IMG]

Multi-Touch Multimedia Entertainment

Providing more choices than ever, HP MediaSmart enables access to DVDs, videos, photos, music, games and Internet TV at the touch of a button. Built-in demos show you how to add music to your slide shows or videos with drag-and-drop functionality thanks to the tx2's multi-touch display. Dual headphone jacks enable you to share films and music without disturbing others. The included Muvee Reveal software makes creating films complete with effects extremely simple. As with the HP Pavilion tx2500z, the included HP Mini Remote Control can be stored in the ExpressCard slot ... making it easy to control your movies even if you can't reach the screen to touch it.

HP TouchSmart tx2 Specifications:

Your choice of the following processors:

AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core Processor QL-64 (2.1 GHz)[/li]
        AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core Processor QL-62 (2.0 GHz) [/li]
        AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor RM-74 (2.2GHz) [/li]
        AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor RM-72 (2.1GHz) [/li]
        AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-80 (2.1GHz)[/li]
        AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-82 (2.2GHz)[/li]
        AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-84 (2.3GHz)[/li]
        AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-86 (2.4GHz)[/li]
      [/li]
      Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate, Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium, or Genuine Windows Vista Business[/li]
      12.1-inch diagonal WXGA (1280 x 800), Integrated touch-screen, Convertible display[/li]
      ATI Radeon HD 3200[/li]
      Up to 8GB DDR2 SDRAM System Memory (2 SODIMM; 64-bit OS)[/li]
      160/250/320/400/500GB 5400 rpm SATA Hard Drive[/li]
      SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support, or LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD±RW with Double Layer Support[/li]
      802.11b/g WLAN, 802.11b/g WLAN and Bluetooth, Wireless 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN, or Wireless 802.11a/b/g/n with Bluetooth[/li]
      Dimensions: 12.05" x 8.82" x 1.23"-1.52" (with 4-cell battery)[/li]
      Weight: starting at 4.33lb[/li]
      Battery: 4-cell, 6-cell, or 8-cell options[/li]

Pricing and Availability

The HP TouchSmart tx2 will available for ordering today in the United States at www.hpdirect.com with a starting U.S. price of $1,149 and should begin shipping to consumers before the end of the month. More information about the tx2 is available at www.hp.com/go/touchsmarttx2.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. sieepiestangel

sieepiestangel Pen Pal - Newbie

Aww, capacitive touch technology on the cheap. I wish I didn't just buy the tx-2500.

3. Jor-dan

Jor-dan Tablet-Loving Student

lol no crap... I JUST got my tx2500 not even a week ago :p

Luckily it is the EXACT same machine... just with a multitouch screen... oh and more RAM

Is it really capacitive? I would think it would be based on the same resistive tech that the other touchsmart models use.

Also, did they ditch the active digitizer for this?? Touch screen is a nice gadget, but not worth skipping out on the wacom if they really did!

EDIT: OK, I see that's a wacom pen in the pic... but still; multitouch is nice, but not enough to get me to feel bad about getting a tx2500 a week ago :)

It really does look cool though!

EDIT2: I think I'll try the tx2's media player feature, see if it's any good!

4. sieepiestangel

sieepiestangel Pen Pal - Newbie

I think it uses the same tech. (n-trig) as the Dell XT. I hate resistive touchscreens, to much forceful pushing. I already passed the 30 day return date for my machine, oh well, I only use the pen anyways.

5. Jor-dan

but seeming how touch screens are not new to HP, and everyone of their touchscreens has been resistive, why wouldn't this one be too?

Oh wait, there was an article on this!!

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4653

Oh, wait, still nothing.

Yeah, my guess is it's a really sensitive resistive like the other TouchSmart... otherwise, this will be a first for HP, as far as I know.

6. DrNick664

DrNick664 Scribbler - Standard Member

So here is what seems to be different from the Tx2500 (Which I have)
    1. LED backlight (The press release which I read from Gizmodo) Yay! better picture, less power draw!
    2. More stuff! Ohhh 8GB RAM, and 500GB HDD Holy Crap! I was feeling all smug with my 320GB HDD
    3. Multi Touch. This is one of those features (to me at least) that sounds and looks EXTREMELY cool, but does not really have much practical application. (I still want it)
    -Now the not so exciting-
    4. New Design. Eh variation is nice, but I don't really care about "inlaid design"
    5. Processor options. It looks like they start with a lower base model now (DAMMIT)

Conclusion
    The most exciting refresh here is obviously the Multi-touch. I know I said earlier that I don't find it practical, but I'm also a sucker for pretty interface and shiny new toys. Hopefully soon when I send in my computer for repairs (accidental damage plan) They will upgrade me or something. Uggh... I hate the world of changing technology!

7. Jor-dan

yeah, they've got the cheap-crap processors that they're using on the tx2600's :p

LED Backlight is pretty cool... who knows, maybe if I ever accidentally break my screen I'll pay extra for them to replace it with a new one :p

8. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This could be using the recently announced Wacom capacitive overlay, along with a Wacom active digitizer.

I'll call Wacom tech tomorrow to find out! :D

9. Razel

Razel Pen Pal - Newbie

http://blog.laptopmag.com/hands-on-with-the-hp-touchsmart-tx2z

"But it was our hope that we wouldn’t need to rely on the touch pad all that often and that our fingers could do the navigating on the12-inch, 1280 x 800-resolution capacitive touch screen. Like we saw with the capacitive screen on the Dell XT (that utilizes the same N-Trig drivers as the HP tx2z), tapping your finger lightly works very well. Unlike other tablets that require a firmer press, we were moving through the Vista Start menu and windows with just simple, soft taps."

I`m so excited...I just can't hide it...This is everything I've wanted and what I was waiting for and it seemed like it was never coming through.
    Capacitative touchscreen and LED backlit here I come!!

I pull my hat off to HP,bravo!!!

10. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member