HP TouchSmart tm2

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by ColorPrint, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ak_

ak_ Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, i'm a cartoonist and i'm really interested in the HP TM2 that should be available here in France in a few months. I watched MobileTechReview's review on Youtube and the computer looks very nice, but the pressure sensitivity looks quite poor. I've read here that changing the stylus for a Wacom one makes things better, but i'm quite confused about which stylus to choose. This one has been mentioned and it looks affordable and nice, but is this the best choice ? Is there another Wacom stylus that would offer better performances ?

Thanks a lot.

2. ljames28

ljames28 Pen Pal - Newbie

I think someone earlier demonstrated it's actually the tablet that's important and not the pen with relation to pressure sensitivity. Can someone else confirm that?

3. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

I have the least fancy old Wacom pen here and it really does behave differently than the stock HP pen (better pressure sensitivity but not as good for writing), as I'd posted earlier. The coil and capacitors in pens can differ and the pen's oscillation rate could potentially make a diff.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. Greenlaw

Greenlaw I like pie.

Hi AK,

I ordered this pen (directly from Wacom) yesterday, after I found that I ordered the wrong pen a couple days earlier and had to send that one back today. (See earlier posts for details.) When the correct pen arrives next week, I can let you know how well it works with this tablet.

As for the tablet's pressure, it's not horrible. IMO, it is a little 'sticky' at the soft pressure end of the the curve, but I found I can compensate for this in either a brush's tool settings in the paint program, or tweaking the curve in the pen's control panel. This isn't a perfect solution though, so if the problem is indeed in the tablet, I hope HP will tweak the tablet driver soon.

Back to the pen, the model you mention will at least give you a dual switch. I originally assumed that the included pen had a dual switch because of the available second switch setting in the control panel, but now I"m certain that it's just a single switch. As for better pressure sensitivity, we'll see. It might be the tablet, but it could just be a cheap mechanism or inferior electronics in the pen. Technically, the pens are supposed to be the same on the inside, but the HP pen does feel cheap compared to a regular Wacom stylus.

Oh, in case you're wondering, the included stylus does have an eraser tip, though I hardly use this feature even with my Cintiq.

BTW, I'm finding that the tablet's 'hover-clicking' option works well for triggering a right-click to use StrokeIt's gesture commands in a drawing program.

5. Nel_Pro

Nel_Pro Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Does any one know if the tm2 will run 3dsmax and v-ray??

6. ak_

ak_ Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your reply Greenlaw, i'm really looking forward to reading your impressions on this stylus.

Another thing, on this review, drawing in Photoshop looks quite sluggish, there is a pretty important delay between the drawing of the lines and the actual movements of the hand. Is this something you experienced too ? Is Photoshop CS4 too demanding for this machine ? (that would be a bummer)

7. simi

simi Pen Pal - Newbie

I did it - a fresh & lean Win7 Ultimate installation. Before that I tried to get all the three Wacom devices listed in the device manager. On my tm2 Wacom HID Pen and Wacom Virtual HID Driver were preinstalled. So I just installed Tigerlillys original Wacom drivers over the preinstalled... Mistake - lost every Wacom driver ;) Then I reinstalled the preinstalled drivers - result: no Wacom HID Pen. I tried it several times including the deletion of all installed HID drivers and many, many reboots. I even deactivated automatic driver installation on start-up and tried recovered the driver via the HP recovery manager. No chance - Wacom HID Pen was gone :D

Then I simply installed a fresh Win7 from USB stick and the preinstalled drivers provided by HP - voilà Wacom HID Pen was there again :) Afterwards I installed "Tigerlillys" original Wacom drivers - again all Wacom HID devices disappeared from the device manager. After another HP Wacom driver installation (all w/o reboot) all three Wacom devices were listed in the device manager. Thats reilly weired and reminds me of the driver installation wars under Win 3.11 :D

BTW - for those missing the "End"-key: it is Fn & Cursor right. Why HP does not label the missing keys at least :mad:

8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

There is nowhere in my instructions where i said to install any drivers over the other. You are supposed to remove the drivers that are there first. reboot
    Then install the HP Mulitouch driver. reboot. Then install the bamboo driver and reboot once more.

I'm going to extract and replace in the thread JUST the driver for multitouch.

Thread will be updated when it is.

9. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Can someone look in the wacom driver folder if there is the following file wacomhidftouch (.cat, .sys & .inf)

Thanks!

10. Meatlocker

Meatlocker Software Development Pro

I don't see it in mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.