HP TouchSmart tm2

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by ColorPrint, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. papi

papi Scribbler - Standard Member

To add to the confusion, the driver download page (I hope this is the correct one: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=4063&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=4121373&lang=en) shows the NIC as either a Realtek model RTL8103T (100mbps) or Realtek model 8111DL (gigabit).

My money is on the 100mbps NIC for the US models.

2. papi

C'mon, don't be so cynical :)

Regardless whether the 1800-use is a marketing poly or not, there's no denying that you get a lot more for a small incremental cost ($50) over the retail configurations sold at BestBuy and WalMart ($950)

3. Synergi

Synergi Scribbler - Standard Member

There is no such thing has someone's muscles never tiring. True you are in good shape you can hold something longer. I don't think that has anything to do with what I'm talking about. I just don't want to cart my 7 pound laptop around from room to room. It hasn't anything to do with me being in shape. At the same time, I don't want the 5 pounder to feel like a chore. If you've ever used a light weight netbook you'll see what I mean. It is far more enjoyable to move it around even though as a PC it completely sucks hehe..

4. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Don't get me wrong, sure a lighter device is better, but I find anything under 5 pounds to be no issue to carry around. I have a couple of netbooks, never carry them anywhere. But picking up my tx2 and carrying around the house point to point, or putting in my bag to take to work, not even a thought about weight enters my mind for that size of a device. It simply doesn't bother or fatigue me.

Now if I were trying to hold something the weight of a tx2 like a clipboard and carrying it around for hours, then absolutely a lighter device is better. But in that scenario I wouldn't even won't to carry an iPad. I'd just use my phone.

When I was a kid I walked to school until high school and I was in the band. I used to lug around my school books and a 30 lb bassoon with case everyday. 5 lbs, meh. Plus since I lost all that weight last year I lugging around a lot less these days anyway.:)

5. JayT

JayT Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the heads up.

The UK version is actually very well specced:
    ATI 4550
    External DVD writer
    Fingerprint scanner
    Bluetooth
    Gigabit ethernet
    Wireless N
    Matching girly protective sleeve

... Just a shame about the CPU (SU4100).

I'm awaiting some feedback on this from HP support:

To quote ... "At present I only have information on the unit we will have available in February, normally we have a range of processors and memory / hard drive configuration and I have asked our Category team for clarification"

6. simi

simi Pen Pal - Newbie

There is a recovery partition with a large file in it. You cannot extract the file - I think it is encrypted and works with the recovery manager only.

As long as I do not have the HP software (i.e. the graphics adapter switcher) I have to keep that bloated pre-installation :(

Edit: No chance to work with it now - my 3 year old son and my wife confiscated it :D

Edit2: Now I got it back and found the folder SwSetup including all setup files :)

7. papi

Not sure if this common knowledge: From the manual it appears the tm2 does not come with an accelerometer that allows the tablet to automatically switch between landscape and portrait modes. You have to press a button in order to cycle through 4 portrait/landscape modes.

Kinda disappointing for a device costing close to $1K but it's not a deal breaker.

8. Other Lines

Other Lines Pen Pal - Newbie

My TM2 has (finally) just left Shanghai but I'm considering using the $300 off coupon to get the SU9600, 6gb and 500gb hard drive. It's a $130 bump from the build I ordered on my student account.
    I can afford to order it again but I'm really nervous of HP's return policy. I know it says 21 days, but will they refuse it if I open my original build and mess with it for a few days before returning it?
    Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere in the forum but I was curious if anyone had any trouble.

9. ljames28

ljames28 Pen Pal - Newbie

Generally if you want to return something worth a $1000 it would be in your interest to leave it sealed in the box, decrease the chance of any trouble.

10. Zimoich

Zimoich Pen Pal - Newbie

That´s fricking great. Though I assume you are from germany, right?
    Stil wondering if I can afford the tm2 now, or if I have to wait until I start working in may after the school ends. =/ (1500€ is all my savings :( )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.