HP TouchSmart tm2

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by ColorPrint, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greenlaw

Greenlaw I like pie.

ArtRage is basically Painter on a budget...there is a free limited feature version, and a Pro version that used to cost about $30, but the price went up with the recent 'Studio' release. Like Painter, it's a natural media simulator, and it's really quite good. The nice thing about it is that it is indeed tablet friendly; the previous version had an interface similar to Sketchbook Pro's and it would disappear from the screen until your stylus came close the 'hidden' tools. This kept the screen clutter down. (Actually the latest Photoshop does this too, though not as elegantly.) Sadly this feature seems to be gone (maybe) in the latest ArtRage Studio upgrade, though I haven't used it enough to be sure yet.

Like Painter, you can't really compare ArtRage to Photoshop. There is certainly some overlap in features, but it's meant to simulate 'real' art tools and for drawing directly in the program, not so much for photo-retouching or compositing. If you do a lot of 'analog' drawing and painting, the feel is much more realistic than Photoshop, but you may be surprised that you'll experience some of the limitations of 'analog' drawing as well. But that's really the point of the program: to simulate actual drawing tools in a digital enviroment. Compared to Painter, ArtRage's feature set will appear slim, but it's also a fraction of the cost of Painter. I use both, but basically I use ArtRage for quick sketching, and Painter for more finished pieces for print. BTW, ArtRage, Painter, and Photoshop can exchange formats, so with some planning and thought, you can easily exploit the features of all three on a project.

And now, back to the topic: When I get the chance, I'll test every paint program I can get my hands on with the tm2 and post some 'review' videos. :)

2. Meatlocker

Meatlocker Software Development Pro

I hope you didn't misunderstand me...the screen twists in either direction, and you STILL have the ability to change to 4 orientations from whichever way you go.

3. Greenlaw

Greenlaw I like pie.

Are you sure about this? The manual explicitly states otherwise for the WWAN option, but if this is true that's pretty cool.

(And yet another example that HP really needs to understand and explain what they're selling more clearly.)

4. Fujilives

Fujilives Pen Pal - Newbie

I watched some videos on it, that's definately what it looks like. Painter is 'cool' but I never fell in love with it since I am still a 'mouse' user. I dabbled with it a bit when I had my wacom pad, but as I said earlier, I couldn't stand using a pad like that, so I never really got to 'full bloom' with the application. It integrates really nicely with PS though, so I imagine I'll be using it quite a bit and going back and forth between that and PS.

I am trying to patiently away this, I am very excited at the prospect of seeing this 'in action' in both PS and Painter, especially in the hands of someone who could give some tips/pointers on ways to do things 'speedier' without the keyboard. For example, I use cntrl/apple-key/alt/shift and any combination of them while doing anything in Illustrator and PS pretty much non stop, but I'd imagine that workflow kind of takes a back-seat when using a tablet.

In the "speed painting" stuff I've seen people do in PS on Youtube via the newer Cinteq "visual-pads" (for lack of a better definition) I've noticed is primarily done in 'one' layer, and they frequently pull up the brush/color selector anywhere on the screen (at the pen location) to speed up work, for me, this is kind of backwards as I've always just flicked my mouse to the brushes or color window and chose, then moved it back to the canvas - so I'd imagine I'll have some adjusting to do before I am comfortable. Any tips you have from a workflow-standpoint would be pretty great if you are doing a video.

Keep me posted, my interest in this product grows every second!

5. positron

positron Pen Pal - Newbie

I doubt it very much)
    Though most PCs with internal LAN can boot from network, it really is a pain in *ss to install anything from scratch via net (restoring might be easy, but that's not the case, is it?), at least not that easy as in macbook.
    Anyway, you better not try anything other that usb sticks) its the easiest)) (though if the PC has a restore partition with windows, it may be easier to install from there)

6. jkenny23

jkenny23 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well I did it, spent $1149.02 on a tm2. Estimated build date is Feb. 8, and I stuck with free shipping, it should arrive by the next long weekend when I go home.
    Got the Ati graphics upgrade, 250gb hard drive, bluetooth, and fingerprint reader. And lojack, just in case, since I'm living on campus, and someone that I spoke to got their laptop stolen a month or two ago.
    It was about $100 cheaper since I got a student discount (if you're a college student, make an account here: https://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/register_app.do)
    And there's a $10 off coupon today, which was my motivator (coupon code: SVP54664)

I figure the tm2 isn't going to get too significantly cheaper, since the tx2 stayed close to the same price it was released at. And I checked that list of all tm2 models, and there's only one "us" model, which is the one I've seen sold at Staples, MacMall, BuyDig, and J&R, and that one doesn't have the dedicated graphics option, so no sense waiting for other sellers. And Costco (though their return policy is great) is more expensive than HP through the Academy program.

I don't think I'll regret buying this, even if it does drop in price a bit. Last new computer I bought was my netbook last year (Samsung NC10), and my other laptop is an aging (and somewhat broken) Inspiron 6400, so this will be a major upgrade to both.

7. Synergi

Synergi Scribbler - Standard Member

I think you guys can get 5% cash back from Bing also on this.

8. erock

erock Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone know how the tm2 does with photoshop?

9. Aedh

Aedh Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, I started looking at tablets last year (mainly the tx2 iterations) and am curious how many people purchased the care pack services with their tm2's? I understand the tx2 had a few issues with heat causing bad ju-ju.

Thanks!

10. KensingtonPark

KensingtonPark Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered mine with the three (3) year package. I always do, although I never take advantage of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.