HP TouchSmart - NtrigApplet Problem

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TX2 (N-trig)' started by hp newbie, Mar 18, 2009.

1. jaquie wheeler

jaquie wheeler Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys,

I have had my Hp touch for almost two years and this just happened to me last month. I still can use my touch screen.

Don't know why but any help would be appreciated.

Jaquie

2. nima13195

nima13195 Pen Pal - Newbie

what is your tablet pc model?

3. kbrkr

kbrkr Pen Pal - Newbie

I also ran into this last month and after rebuilding the laptop to it's factory condition everything worked fine. So then I started experimenting and lo and behold, I discovered the biggest culprit to be Norton AntiVirus and Internet security. I was having trouble getting these working correctly on my laptop so I ran Norton Uninstall utility and when I rebooted I had the Ntrig "Cannot Connect to device" error. From that point foward, I could not re-install the Ntrig drivers since I was getting the "no hardware found" error. This scared me since I thought my screen was broken. What I did was select a restore point prior to running the Norton Uninstall, and the drivers/touch screen worked flawlessly again.

Needless to say I run AVG now on that computer and all has been fine!

Al

4. Simon Card

Simon Card Pen Pal - Newbie

I MAY have found two possible solutions if you encounter problems with the 2010 drivers:
    1) Upgrade to the latest laptop firmware from the HP site. This should overwrite the faulty ntrig driver. Do not install the multitouch driver from the HP site after this because that re-broke my tablet!
    2) If you installed the faulty ntrig driver after (1) then that solution won't work again. In that case, the following worked for me:
    * Install Ultimate Windows Tweaker for Win7
    * Open System Performance section
    * Tick Disable Tablet PC Input Service & Click Apply
    * Untick Disable Tablet PC Input Service & Click Apply
    * Reboot

Around the same time I also installed "Rainmeter", so it was either that, rebooting a few times or (2) that brought my multitouch functionality back to life! If you're at a dead end I hope the above helps.

5. joetheboy

joetheboy Pen Pal - Newbie

Try this as well...

Go to the tablet pc panel and disable touch and function (and the pen as well). then shutdown the computer (don't restart). Wait about a good 10 seconds and start it again (remember not to touch your screen) immediately you get into windows, run the installer again and it should breeze through it.

6. audiauds

audiauds Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried installing the drivers downloaded from the HP website, but it can't install because it says "The Operating System is not adequate for running."

But I downloaded the correct driver installer for my operating system which is windows 7 32-bit.

Please help :(

7. Will_Raney

Will_Raney Pen Pal - Newbie

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH Simon Card. As soon as I followed the steps you gave by downloading the Ultimate Windows Tweaker for Win7 and my touch tablet HP tx2 works again! I followed the steps you gave, unplugged my computer for about 20 seconds and rebooted. Thanks again for making that post.

8. Will_Raney

Will_Raney Pen Pal - Newbie

IMPORTANT UPDATE: After making my last post thanking Simon Card my touchscreen failed again only AFTER trying to install an update to my iTunes. This update was supposed to allow my phone to sync wirelessly with my computer. The update failed and I received a warning box indicating the update was not compatible or something stupid like that. After this warning meassage from iTunes I was unable to use my touchscreen so I tried to run through those previous steps mentioned earlier by Simon Card but they did not work this time. But I did find a fix.

1st: Install the driver for the n-trig device (even though it says it cannot be installed due to a warning message it still works)

2nd: Run through the steps Simon Card mentioned in his post above using Windows Tweaker for Win7

3rd: During reboot, the system will recognize the unknown device with the driver previously attempted to be installed and the touchscreen will work again.

The following steps will not work if you HAVE NOT TRIED TO INSTALL the driver FIRST!!!!

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

...Sorry to drop in on this thread unannounced, but is anyone here aware that there is a "Roll-Back" app available on the N-trig Support Page whose purpose is to reset your digitizer to a known state prior to installing updated software?

Just wondering...

N-trig

10. Amthracite

Amthracite Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried that and could not get the roll back so install until I used the Windows compatibility mode, but it did not help. I used the Tweaker method, but I had to log off and log back on each time after I hit apply. I did not do that the first time and it failed. Then I shut down the computer and for good measure took out the battery and unplugged it from the AC. On reboot, a USB bridge installed and then is started to search for Windows Updates. I closed out of that and used the HP site driver for N-Trig that was right for my OS and computer and it installed successfully after erroring out so many times before. I AM DELIGHTED. I worked so hard trying to make this work before seeing this post about the Windows Tweaker. THANK YOU!!