HP to Spin Off PCs, Exit Tablets

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by krelvinaz, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Funny, most people's fantasies usually have humans as their objects.:D

2. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

webOS Still Coming to PCs and Printers. So maybe there will be a Slate 600 with Win + WebOS.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@e-schreiber
    that is pretty much what I have seen through my 'investigations'...

AFAIK all HP has truly decided on is to quit making new WebOS Hardware, but they will continue to support both the hardware and software of existing WebOS products; in addition they will continue to develop WebOS itself so other manufacturers can make WebOS hardware and use that OS... the whole 'HP leaving the PC business' is over stated, from what I know of it is they basically said 'we are thinking about separating the consumer products [aka: laptops, desktops, Tablet PC's] from our corporate [aka: servers and the like]' but they have made no decision yet. But they have to support the laptops, desktops, and Tablet PC's (both hardware, and software) for up to 7 years after their release -I think they are legally bound to that time period, but I am not involved in the business so IDK

4. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

That for one makes me feel better, I still hold out hope for an improved hp slate 500+.

5. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

The thing is, if they stop making WebOS devices, they have very little incentive to "develop" WebOS further. I wonder if they would set WebOS completely free or do to it what Sun did to Java, that is, keep it "free in a leash".

I wish Rick could say something about a possible Slate 600. :rolleyes:

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

With Cedar Trail Atoms being delayed until November (due to the inability of the Intel GPU to pass w7 certification), it's doubtful there will be any Slate updates until after then, if ever. If a new unit is anounced, it will probably be from Rick's new bosses.;)

7. dgoodisi

dgoodisi Scribbler - Standard Member

I have no doubt that HP will be selling their Systems group to another entity so they can focus on their consulting business, profits are greater with less overhead. The new HP CEO came from SAP, so it makes sense.

This is essentially what IBM did when they sold ThinkPad to Lenovo.

Another blog (I forget which) was reporting that Samsung is in the lead as a possible buyer.

8. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

Actually, Android slates already have taken about 1/3 of the market from the iPad. The problem is that the ones that compete most closely with the iPad are more expensive than it. The first big name maker who can feature parity with the iPad2 (or better - anticipate the iPad3) and come in $100 cheaper will mop up the market.

Remember, Apple had the lead on smartphones... everyone thought they were untouchable - now Android is at 34% and the iPhone is stalled around 24%.

As for the Slate - given that they still haven't fixed the nTrig and video flashing problems and we're more than 8 months from shipping - the odds of ongoing support is weak.

Ah well, I still love mine and carry it with me everywhere. Last week I was sketching in the Louvre in Paris with it. I just hope someone else comes up with a Wacom based Win8 slate before my Slate goes under.

9. acerbic

acerbic Scribbler - Standard Member

Galaxy Slate 10.1 Win 8 would be nice... :D

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

IF AND ONLY IF they add Wacom support! :cool: