HP to Spin Off PCs, Exit Tablets

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by krelvinaz, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick

Rick Sr. Manager, Innovation and Experience

I understand the need, desire and usefullnes for an adaptor that would allow the Slate to be used with a standard smart AC adapter. I appreciate the feedback and continuously evaluate customer suggested improvements.

Thanks,
    Rick

2. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Well if I could make a suggestion, I would like to see a switch the dual core Fusion cpu, pref C-60. I have read very nice things about the your companies DM1 with the E-350 and now E-450 cpu, and I think to myself I want those specs in a pen based tablet, that would be prefect for my needs, and I am sure a few other people here would agree with that.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

A dual core N2800 atom with its improved graphics would probably significantly out perform the C-60 at the same 10 watt TDP.

4. bloodycape

I thought the C-60 was lower than 10w. I know from the data I have seen the Fusion e-450 cpu wise was benchmarking at around the same levels as ULV C2D cpu(SU9400), with gpu obviously being better than the intel 4500hd. I am sure the C-60 is close to that, but if this new Atom cpu is faster than Fusion, with gpu that is better than the 4500hd, call me a bit impressed.

5. Bronsky

The N2800 has the edge in CPU power and, with a TDP of 6.5 watts, actually sips less power than the C-60 at 9 Watts. But, the C-60 is the clear winner in pure graphics power. C-60 (3DM06 score) = 1850. N2800 (3DM06) = 440.:( Either one would probably do fine. It would be nice to have the better graphics but there is probably a small price to pay in battery life and power. Both support multithreading.

Here are the stats:

C-60 Passmark = 598
    C-60 3DM06 (est from C-50) 1850

PassMark CPU Lookup

9 Watts TDP. AMD C-60 Gets TurboCore to CPU and GPU | techPowerUp

N2800 (D525 Core clocked at 1.87 ghz) with PowerVR SGX545 Integrated GPU.
    D525 core Passmark (at 1.8ghz) = 711
    3DM06 440:rolleyes:

PassMark - Intel Atom D525 @ 1.80GHz - Price performance comparison

6.5 Watt TDP. Intel Atom N2800 DF8064101050503

To compare these to our current slates, the Z540 has a passmark score of 165.6 and a 3DM06 score of 79. http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hp-slate-500/37419-some-basic-benchmarks.html Either of those units will be a significant improvement.

*Note - the N2800 is rated using the problematic Intel driver which is believed to cause the gpu to underperform.

6. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

All I want right now is a 128gb ssd drive that I can swap out of the 64gb one that is in the slate.

7. Bronsky

I can't tell from the pictures of the disassembled Slate if the SSD is soldered in or not.

8. bloodycape

@bronsky, thank you for that post. You don't by any chance have the 3DMark numbers for a typical ULV intel cpu, like the SU9400 for comparison do you? I couldn't find one find the numbers for one paired with the standard 4500hd gpu. Thanks.

9. Bronsky

SU9400
    WPrime = 55 secs.
    Passmark = 958
    3dM06 = 617 (total) Toshiba Portege A605 Review

A better comparison might be the lowest powered CULV C2D. I had the SU2300 in my 11.6" Acer 1410T (my son still uses it) and it was plenty fast and powerful as a travel notebook.

SU2300
    Passmark = 905
    3DM06 = 595 (since these are the same IGPUs, this shows how much the 3DM06 score is impacted by CPU power).

If you compare the SU2300 to the N2800 Atom, the Atom is only 25% slower in CPU and GPU benchmarks. If the N2800 can overclock as well as the Z540, it should be no problem to make the Atom perform at the same level as the SU2300.:) I could live with that type of performance. The GPU performance would be even better if Intel updates its drivers, but I would not hold my breath. At that point, the size, weight and fanless design of the slate are the determinative factors.

Add a faster 128 GB HD, a better, brighter and more contrasty HD display, a matt finish, 4GB DDR3 RAM, Mini HDMI, USB 3.0 and, if at all possible, swappable batteries, and I'll be lining up for my new slate. 4G capability would be a real bonus. I could even live with a greatly improved NTrig pen over a Wacom device. I don't need an artist quality pen but it has to be a significant improvement over the original Slate's digitizer.

I am interested in the OCR capability of OneNote and want to experiment with Dragon.

BTW, had this in my mail box today from HP. http://h30458.www3.hp.com/media2.php/PDF/HPtoKeepPCDivision102711.pdf This line caught my attention:

"The strategic review involved subject matter experts from across the businesses and functions."

Does that mean they have been reading this thread?:D

10. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Come on, dude. Don't incite them to use mini-HDMI! That's evil!
    What's next? Micro-USB? Then Nano-Ethernet later?

You must be a RadioShack stockholder... :rolleyes: