HP to Spin Off PCs, Exit Tablets

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by krelvinaz, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krelvinaz

krelvinaz Systems Analyst

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. krelvinaz

krelvinaz Systems Analyst

BTW... the article talks about tablets in reference to WebOS.... wonder if they are only killing off the WebOS tablets and perhaps the hardware business would continue PC tablet development.

3. dgoodisi

dgoodisi Scribbler - Standard Member

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

When I finally sell my slate, I can list it on ebay as a collector's item.:D

5. mittmark

mittmark Scribbler - Standard Member

You can add my TC1100 which was abandoned several years ago by them too.

6. lclev

lclev Pen Pal - Newbie

I just do not understand HP or, for that matter, RIM (blackberry). If they wanted to compete with the iPad in the consumer market the way to do it is to create a tablet that runs, or is compatible with, either Windows or Android OS, is lighter and thinner than the ipad, runs longer on a charge, has at least one usb port, hdmi out, a sd card slot, wifi, gps, and ... well I probably missed a couple but you get the idea. I would NOT recommend creating a new OS for one specific device. Come on - who wants to develop apps or software for a single device with an OS that nothing else runs. So IMO, they set themselves up to fail by not doing their homework.

And when HP does create a windows tablet, they create the slate, don't really advertise it, and get swamped with orders. How many? Who knows because HP doesn't like to share. But just image if they had spent the money advertising it, like they did that worthless WebOS tablet. Market it as a student device that runs Windows and Office???? It's compatible with their desktop and has a usb port. Would have been interesting to see just how well the slate could have sold in the consumer market. But instead they seem to have dropped the product line and have no plans for a slate2 with Windows8. They could have been ahead of the curve and set nice for Windows 8 but hey, that would make too much sense.

So now they are thinking of selling off their personal PC business. What ever... So what is left? Are they going to only cater to the business community? Who knows but given their track record I am sure they will mess it up. I'll tell you who I feel sorry for - Rick. He worked so hard on the slate and helped so many of us on this board to straighten out problems. It must be hard to work for a company, develop a product, and have to deal with such a changing environment. Interesting way to motivate creativity.

Lisa

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...So...they are thinking of selling off their...PC business...So what is left?..>>

...Printers and scanners (except I stopped buying their brand of hardware years ago because it was so unreliable)...

8. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

Remember the commercial with the guy working with a bunch of monkeys, that is hp at the board level.

9. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

HP will still stop making Tablets by Oct.

Bestbuy wants to return all remaining stocks as they sold less than 5% of the initial shipment.

10. antigen

antigen Pen Pal - Newbie

So what does this news mean for future support and maintenance on the HP slate 500? It's [slate 500] is sold through their small/medium business solutions products/division right? From what I glanced through, this seems to be the WebOS related products - but then some other websites are mentioning all tablets (without any specifics)... it's still early but worth some interpretation and speculation.