HP tm2-1000 (1st Gen TM2) - Windows 8.1 clean installation guide, latest drivers and software

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by Malangyar, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Malangyar

Malangyar Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay guys, the info we have on getting Windows 8.1 to run on the 1st gen tm2s is spread out in numerous threads, so let's try and collect it all into this thread to lessen the confusion. :hi2:

• This is for advanced users only and a work in progress. I'm not responsible for anything that doesn't work or any harm that might come to your tm2.
    • This guide is *only* for 1st gen tm2s. For 2nd gen, please see this thread: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hp-touchsmart-tm2-wacom/48541-windows-8-drivers.html
    • Always create a restore point before installing drivers!
    • Only install the drivers in Windows 7 compatibility mode if explicitly mentioned.
    • If you have anything to add (new drivers etc) or any corrections or comments, please reply and I'll change the guide.
    Windows 8.1 clean install
    1. Download the Windows 8.1 ISO here (choose the correct version, mine was Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit).
    2. Download the Windows 7 usb/dvd tool (http://images2.store.microsoft.com/p...B-DVD-tool.exe) and install it.
    3. Plug in a USB flash drive, and use the Windows 7 usb/dvd tool with the previously downloaded ISO to turn it into a bootable Windows 8.1 usb drive.
    4. Restart your laptop, boot via the USB drive and start the installation of Windows 8.1.
    5. Important information when you perform a clean installation of Windows 8.1: After it is finished copying files to your hard drive, it will restart, and launch the setup. When you get to SETTINGS, make sure to click customize, and then TURN OFF completely both "Windows Update" and "Automatically get device drivers, apps, and info for new devices". If you forget, the graphics drivers won't install correctly and you'll lose your multi-touch capability! No amount of driver installing/uninstalling/configuring will fix it, you will have to completely reset Windows to get it to work again. Windows downloads a bunch of drivers and installs them automatically, but they are not compatible with our complex & unique TM2's hardware.
      View attachment 4543
    6. Once Windows 8.1 is installed and starts up, it would be a good idea to install graphics drivers ASAP. See "Drivers and software" below.
    7. To active Windows, just go into System and click Active Windows. Type in your key and everything should be OK. :thumbsup:

Drivers and software
    Graphics/Display adapters
    1. Perform clean install of Windows 8.1, see above
    2. Go to "Control Panel", then "Programs and Features", and finally on the left, click on "Turn Windows features on or off".
    3. Mark ".NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)" and click "OK". Let it install and restart your computer. Restart again for good measure.
    4. Download the latest HP ATI/Intel hybrid drivers (1.00C) here: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp50001-50500/sp50254.exe
    5. Using 7zip, extract the HP graphics driver. Remember, don't launch it, extract it!
    6. Inside the extracted folder, you will see "Setup.exe" with a little ATI icon. Right-click on this file, and select "Properties"
    7. A window called "Setup.exe Properties" opens up. Click on the "Compatibility" tab. Mark the box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:". From the options, select "Windows 7".
    8. Now mark the box at the bottom, "Run this program as an administrator". Click "Apply" at the bottom and then click "OK" to close the dialog box.
    9. You can now double-click on "Setup.exe" and install the graphics drivers. After they are through installing, restart your computer, and you are done!
    NOTES:
    • Getting the hybrid graphics to work 100% on Windows 8.1 is pretty much a mess, but installing the old HP drivers using the above method should give a stable install. However, installing the above drivers, appears to break multitouch. You can still use your finger on the screen, but it only works as a single point of touch. A30N is working on a solution but it could be awhile.
    • There have been attempts at installing the AMD Catalyst 12.4 drivers on top of the old HP ones, but they have resulted in breaking the CCC and issues with graphic switching. Attempt at own risk.
    • Regarding the Unified Leshcat Drivers, these look very promising but are currently undergoing development. Intel 1st gen graphics are supported, but users are reporting numerous problems. The last time I tried them (Catalyst 14.4 WHQL UnifL v2.0), they didn't work. Hopefully they will work in the future, but until then it's recommended you go with the drivers above. Please head to the Leshcat forums and contribute + voice your support for 1st gen tm2 support!

Intel Chipset
    1. Download the driver (1.00 A) here: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp46501-47000/sp46869.exe
    2. Install in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

Synaptics TouchPad
    1. Uninstall all previous versions of the Synaptics TouchPad.
    2. Download and install the 16.5.3.3 driver here: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp61501-62000/sp61819.exe
    NOTES:
    • The TouchPad lock function (double tapping on the LED) does not work with this driver.
    • The later 16.6.1.3 HP driver messes up the installation and doesn't work.
    • The latest generic Synaptics drivers cause the touchpad LED to be on constantly. It is therefore recommended you use the above HP TouchPad drivers.

HP Quicklaunch buttons
    1. Download the driver (6.50.15.1) here: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp47501-48000/sp47591.exe
    2. Install in Windows 7 compatibility mode.
    NOTES:
    • The latest driver (6.50.18.1) breaks the mute LED. Mute works, but the LED does not turn on accordingly. It's therefore recommended that you install the above earlier version.

Wi-Fi
    1. Check which wireless card you have by going into Device Manager and looking under Network adapters

Bluetooth

IDT High-Definition Audio CODEC
    1. Remove any previous versions of the driver.
    2. Download and install the latest driver (6.10.6479.0) here: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp62001-62500/sp62316.exe

Validity Fingerprint VFS301/Biometric device driver + HP SimplePass
    NOTES:
    • The above installation hasn't yet been confirmed to work!

Wacom Digitizer Pen
    1. Go to Legacy Drivers | Wacom
    2. choose Tablet PC and Windows 8 from the drop down menus.
    3. Download and install the latest driver.

HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

Optional software
    SynGestures - improves touchpad experience

Thanks to
    • A30N
    • authorandrew
    • cbutters
    • deyanimay
    • jonpet
    • SDreamer
    • Seketh

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    elintripido likes this.
  2. jonpet

jonpet Scribbler - Standard Member

The wacom will not install here, install and reboot and its not in device manager. Touch settings and tablet properties errors out on missing driver etc.

3. minhquanssss

minhquanssss Pen Pal - Newbie

I want to say thanks to Malangyar and other folks. I have used HP Touchsmart tm2t-1000 since 2009. I followed this post whenever I tried to install/reinstall windows 8 and above. This tutorial also works for Windows 10 Pro - version 1607. The ATI graphic driver for my device is the same as above (sp50254.exe,) but the Intel Chipset (optional?) for my device is http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp46501-47000/sp46868.exe as found on HP official website. After that, I am able to use two 1080p monitors with high-performance ATI graphic card. It's functional but not 100% stable, so need some advice here.

I tried installing Unified Leshcat Driver 16.2.1, but it did not work on my device. I think other drivers are optional. I used Teamviewer and restore points to avoid installing windows all over again.