HP TC4400 OR NC6400 - Need to order quickly!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Suzy, Jun 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suzy

Suzy Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm down to deciding between these two models. I've got some input from the notebook side but would like input from tablet owners to see which one I should go with and why. I need to order this no later than Monday morning.

TC4400
    $1,479.00p
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Tablet PC Edition, Microsoft® OneNote
    Intel® Core™ Duo processor T2400 (1.83-GHz, 667-MHz FSB, 2-MB L2 cache)
    512MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM shared memory (1 DIMM)
    60GB hard drive (5400 rpm)
    12.1-inch XGA WVA (1024x768)
    Integrated Intel® Pro Wireless 3945ABG (802.11a/b/g)
    HP Biometric Fingerprint Sensor & Embedded Security Chip (TPM 1.2)
    3 year worldwide limited warranty

OR

NC6400
    HP nc6400
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
    Intel® Core™ Duo processor T2400 (1.83-GHz, 667-MHz FSB, 2-MB L2 cache)
    1024MB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (1 DIMM)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
    80GB hard drive (5400 rpm)
    14.1-inch WXGA
    MultiBay II DVD+/-RW
    Integrated Intel® Pro Wireless 3945ABG (802.11a/b/g), Bluetooth
    TPM Embedded Security Chip, Integrated Smart Card Reader
    3 year worldwide limited warranty
    PRICE $1,399.00

2. Madcap

Madcap Pen Pal - Newbie

That's hard to answer. It depends on if you want a tablet or a notebook. For me, I'm getting a tablet for college. Besides taking notes, and normal stuff like that, I am getting a degree in game design, which means being able to draw on the tablet, make scribbles and doodles and take notes etc., will be extremely usefull to me. If you don't plan on needing to write or draw like that at all, than I would go with a notebook. Ok, actually I would probably go with a tablet anyways...

I guess the only reason I would go with a dedicated notebook is if I was using it as a desktop and needed the "extreme" power for anything I needed to do. Since I have a near state of the art desktop, I don't need as much power in the tablet. The notebook you have listed is more powerfull than the tablet and at a smaller price, so it's really your call. All i can tell you is that if you think you may use the tablet features even a little bit, I would go with the tablet, though you might want to take it up to 1gb of RAM. Also, as far as the processor is concerned, if you wanted to save a few bucks, and if you can customize it that way, you can lower the processor to 1.6 or so ghz, which should be the next step down. you'd only be losing like .2-.3ghz which you won't notice at all, but you will save probably $50-100 doing that. My desktop's 2.2ghz dual core can handle anything thrown at it, the latest games, photoshop, etc.. and it's fine. I suggest you analyze exactly what you will be doing with and needing your tablet/notebook for, post back here, and I'll help you out further. :)

3. Suzy

Suzy Pen Pal - Newbie

My home desktop system is older and slow which causes problems when running multiple applications so this system will replace my current one. I have an AMD 850mgh with 256mg Ram so it’s slow. It works great on my sons’s games though (Zoo Tycoon, Scooby Doo, and typing reports for school so it will be great for him.

Most days I will have the system (no matter which) hooked up to an external monitor with it sitting on my desk. The reason for the notebook is that I also travel extensively and need something light and portable to take on those trips. Ever try lugging a 17” through an airport?? No fun lol.

I’m an accountant and an MBA student (online) so it will be used heavily for Word, Excel, Internet, Outlook (all at the same time).

Other times I’ll be using accounting/tax software, Statdisk, Kodak picture software, downloading music to my MP3, watching movies on trips, and easy gaming like the ones I mentioned and Pogo online games.

The reasons I liked the tablet form is for note taking during study sessions and reading Ebooks and all the web page research.

I called HP a little while ago and the tech I spoke with was leading me away from the more expensive tablet. So I’m really not sure which way to go.

4. Madcap

Madcap Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, from what I can gather of what you do with your "computers," to use a general term, you don't really need that much power under the hood. Also, like I said, if you intend on using the tablet at all, I would go with the tablet and not the notebook.

"The reasons I liked the tablet form is for note taking during study sessions and reading Ebooks and all the web page research."

That right there, was enough to convince me to get a less powerful tablet instead of a high-end notebook. I was going to go with an Alienware laptop and get some serious power behind my mobile activites, but upon learning of the existence of the tablet, I started thinking of just how useful it could be. The one major thing, is that you can take notes just like on a normal piece of paper, but with a tablet you can go back and change, re-organize, re-order, delete, convert to text, or whatever you want. All that and there's no clutter, no mess, easily fileable, no chance of losing valuable notes (the old fasioned way ;) I still suggest backing up notes somewhere else), nothing extra to carry around. Need to draw a diagram on the go? Not a problem. No looking for paper, just start up your tablet and have at it. There are so many great ways to use a tablet, that it would take a while to list them all, but when you really need to just type that paper, the tablet is there for you. With a notebook, you have no chance of using the tablet features once you commit to having bought it. It's really going to come down to this question. Do I want to be stuck without the tablet feature? If you can go through your daily, weekly, monthly, etc. events and think of times you can really use a tablets' functionality then I would not hesitate to go for the tablet 100%. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.