HP tc4200 disk error

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by DBraxt, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBraxt

DBraxt Pen Pal - Newbie

So i went to turn on my tablet today, and all I got was a black screen with the words disk read failure across the top. and thats it. Nothing else i can do.

Is their any way to fix this problem, or is my poor computer dead?

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Your hard drive died on you. The only way to fix it is to remove the current drive (and then check exactly what type of drive you have. it should be a 2.5" SATA II hdd) and replace it with a new one.

You can either buy a new HDD (between $60-80), or you can opt to get a SSD (is usually very expensive, $200-400; but the benefits of it will really be seen on an older system like yours. plus you would be able to put that SSD in any future computer you get that has the same drive bay, same goes for if you get a HDD)

You will need to have an OS install disc handy- as you won't be able to clone the old drive to the new one. If you do not have a Windows disc handy, you can consider using Linux (Ubuntu is the easiest to use, and setup)

3. ZaZ

ZaZ Scribbler - Standard Member

If you made the recovery discs when you got your machine, you could use those. You can download a Windows 7 disc here if that's what you got. While SSDs are certainly expensive per GB, if you only need a smaller one like 40GB or 60GB, there's plenty of those around $100.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. purplepeopledesign

purplepeopledesign Scribbler - Standard Member

If you absolutely need irreplaceable data off the dead drive, it might be possible to clone using another computer. My cousin is a system admin for a school and he saved photos from my Mom's dead drive by first sticking it in the freezer, then cloning it.

:)ensen.

5. DBraxt

DBraxt Pen Pal - Newbie

I dont need anything off the computer I just use it as something handy instead of carrying around my main computer. i dont even save anything on it I use a portable hard drive. I really just have the computer to type notes and access the internet while in class. basically for portability. what is my cheapest option?

6. purplepeopledesign

purplepeopledesign Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, I checked and it looks like it has a 2.5" IDE HDD. Not as common as the SATA drives. Still, they are available and the cheapest I've seen is about $50 online. If you can spend about $100, you might be able to find an IDE SSD, you get several advantages. First, it will never crash like a mechanical HDD. Second, it will go so much faster that you'll think you have a new computer. And third, it will use a lot less power compared to the older hard drives.

:)ensen.

7. DBraxt

DBraxt Pen Pal - Newbie

ok sounds good. will be in search of those two. and if nothing reasonable comes around I guess it will be sold as is. appreciate all the help everyone

8. mfalderoff

mfalderoff Pen Pal - Newbie

Remove the cover off the underside of the case and make sure your hard drive is connected first before panicing. Mine slipped out of its connection and gave me the same error. If it is firmly seated and still get the error, time to start over if you can't salvage the info from the drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.