HP TC4200 Boot error -

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by marsheng, Aug 16, 2012.

1. marsheng

marsheng Pen Pal - Newbie

After having a few tablets, I decided to rather try a PC/Tablet and, as they are cheap second hand, why not. I got a nice second hand machine running a fresh install of XP off the local Auction site.

I have a spare PC with XP and all my packages and personal setting loaded. I use Snapdisk to copy the XP to any new machine I have.

I restored to the TC4200 and then tried to boot. 'A disk read error occurred. '

I assumed it hadn't worked correctly. Tried again, same problem. By chance I took the drive out and put it into my Toshiba Laptop and switched it on. Next thing I know is everything loaded and working as per normal. Windows and programs all there and working.

Put it back onto the TC4200- Same error. A disk read error occurred.

Ran BART. C: drive all intact with all my programs.

Is this a bios fault and how do I get around it.

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It could be a number of things, first of which in my mind would be a AHCI issue where you either had AHCI enabled/ disabled on the original laptop and it is the opposite on the TC4200, Another big issue is you are dealing with Windows XP and its pretty poor with moving from one set of hardware to another, Windows 7 is pretty good, and Windows 8 is even better in terms of that. Another point is that the version of XP that is on your laptop almost certainly is not Tablet Edition and thus will not really work that well with the pen/ digitiser (though if you are only interested in drawing in an art program then a standard version of XP plus the right Wacom driver will get that working fine, but there won't be the TIP, or likely support in programs that use the WinTab driver in Win XP TE and later versions of Win 7)

I think currently Win 8 Enterprise can be gotten free from Microsoft direct, though it is only a 90 day trial, it would at least get it up and running. Otherwise you will have to locate a copy of recovery discs for the TC4200, otherwise a non-OEM version of windows XP Tablet Edition then use the COA key on the bottom to activate it... I wouldn't bother with trying to clone a laptop with XP to a Tablet PC, it would be fruitless.

3. marsheng

Thanks for the very informative reply. I think you hit the nail on the head with AHCI. As it starts to read, the drive it crashes.

My XP setup master PC has no specific drivers installed at all. When it says new hardware found on loading, I say do not install. I have installed all my packages and set each one up with it's preferences. About a days worth of installing. I have a TEXT log with everything loaded and serial numbers etc.

I run CNC machines and each machine has a PC. (8 last count).

Windows 8 runs quite well on the machine (once you have worked out how it works, however 1/2 hr to find the Shutdown key.)

Any idea on how I can enable or disable the AHCI? Note even with a fresh install of XP home and professional, I had no joy.

Alternately are there any other hot boot keys in HP to get to more BIOS settings ?

Thanks Wallace

4. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sorry, I assumed you would look it up, AHCI is controlled by the BIOS, it may or may not be an available option on the TC4200 or your laptop (it should be an option like Enabled/ Disabled or AHCI/ IDE Compatibility mode), if you are lucky the option is there in the TC4200's BIOS and you can change it and see if it works. I do not know of a 'advanced option' BIOS menu, you would likely need some fancy pants HP technician diagnosis equipment to plug into the motherboard, or 'simply' re-write the BIOS so you can control more (but its not going to help you or anything)...

So on the TC4200 you have tried a clean install of Windows XP? how far does it get? do you get any error codes? when you say it crashes, do you mean it blue screens, or it just hard crashes and is off/ it restarts immediately? and is it 64-bit or 32-bit OS's that you are trying on it? I just need more info to try to help you as I'm not sure of what you have been trying based just on what you said.

5. marsheng

When installing XP, (it is being loaded from an external USB CD Drive) it goes through the initial options of Disk configuration and copying files. Once it has copied all the files, it says to 'remove disk from drive a' and reboot. On reboot, I get 'A disk read error occurred' straight away, so it is something that is loaded in the very initial stages of the boot sequence.

The bios has very little in configuration options. Passwords and boot sequence is about the lot. I have loaded in the latest bios from HP but made no difference.

The drive has been working perfectly well on Windows 8 for the past week, however I think XP will run faster and the screen hot keys will work.

Thanks for you time.

6. KLF

KLF Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

Run disc check, just to make sure drive hasn't gone bad. Seagate's Seatools works with all brands of drives and it's free.

7. marsheng

When I originally mirrored the disk, it work fine on a Toshiba Laptop without any problems and the same disk is now happily running windows 8 so I don't think it is a disk problem. If you search the error, you will see it is a very common issue with HPs.

8. Pesho

Pesho Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you tried with the XP Tablet Edition recovery CD for the TC4200? If you don't have it, i can provide an ISO. Also, you might need to alter the boot sequence after rebooting.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  9. marsheng

Sorry for the delay in reply- Been away for a fishing trip.

I got a set of Tablet disks (SP2) from Ebay. Windows has loaded but I have the following devices which have not installed correctly. Try as I may, I cannot get them to work with the drivers from the HP 4200 site.

The errors are

Mass Storage Device
    Network Controller
    PCI Simple Communications Controller
    Unknown device x 2

Subsequently I cannot get the WIFI card to work.

Any suggestions?

The bottom line is that XP home and Pro disks cannot be used to install a system on the TC4200.

10. Pesho

Pesho Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you get the actual TC4200 discs or just generic XP tablet disks? The actual TC4200 ones are sort of like a LiveCD and contain a lot of drivers and software, basically the factory stuff. But otherwise the best way to find the right drivers is to get the hardware id's from the device manager and look them up.

hid.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  11. marsheng

They were generic disks supposedly to restore all Tablets !!

12. Pesho

Pesho Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, i wouldn't rely on those for getting the drivers right. You have a PM.

13. marsheng

I can't download the file. Is the server only on during your working hours ? I'm in New Zealand so there could be a time issue?
    Getright says Connecting to tracker.publicbt.com and just waits.

Thanks Wallace

14. marsheng

Where do I add my profile photo ?

15. Pesho

Pesho Pen Pal - Newbie

I've resent it with a different link.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/usercp.php

16. marsheng

Thanks for the ISO. I have it installed on the TC4200 now. I had to load virtually every driver from the HP site to get all the unknown devices found and installed. I have one left but it will be another week before I have time to play with it again.

Fortunalty the install did not change my drive partitions.

Interestingly, I have formatted my Desktop as follows.
    C 35 GB Windows
    D 30 GB Programs
    E 20 GB Data
    F Balance. Media.

I've done this so I can copy the system (C) onto a flash drive to reinstall my system in case of crash. Once windows is up an runing I can copy just copy over the other drives.

All programs are installed in D

This is the interesting part, in 2 months, C drive grew to 20GB. As there is only a few directories on C it didn't take me long to delete 10 GB of junk.

I glad MS don't make cars. XP would be there 2 mpg economical car !!!!

Any one tried windows 8 without a network connection!. Ha

17. Pesho

Pesho Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you give me the device and vendor ID? I can check for matching entries on my TC4400 and send a driver.

Yeah that's pretty much how i have it on my desktop machine... it makes reinstalling so much easier, especially if you only have portable programs.