HP TC1100 - RAM Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Dom, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Dom

Dom Pen Pal - Newbie

I have an aging TC1100, which I refuse to replace due to the excellent form factor which I've yet to see a tablet (of which I can afford) beat.

So the machine has been running Windows 7 an mSATA SSD (on a IDE to mSATA sled) and 1GB of RAM for about a year now. The main limiting factor here is my 1GB of RAM but since I don't use the tablet for that much I've always just left it as is. Until today where I finally decided to upgrade to the maximum 2GB. The original configuration had 1x 512MB PC2700 and the 'user accessible slot' was empty. Some years ago I I installed another 512MB DIMM to make the total memory 1GB.
    Today I installed a 1GB PC3200 (DDR 400) in the user slot and booted the system and successfully shown 1.5GB installed. Then I stripped it down to access the other slot and installed another 1GB DIMM. This is where I ran into trouble. The system won't boot with 2GB installed, the power light comes on and goes out a few seconds later...
    Stick the original 512 back in and boots right up. Swap to DIMM's over so the confirmed working 1GB DIMM in the other slot and it still won't boot.
    I've tried every single configuration but no matter what it won't boot with a 1GB DIMM installed in the 'non-user accessible slot', both 1GB DIMMs work in the other slot but I can only get the system to boot with the original 512 DIMM in it....

I'm wondering if its because the DIMMs are PC3200 400Mhz and not PC2800 333Mhz like the original DIMM? The user accessible slot will take a PC3200 DIMM but maybe the other doesn't support it? Any TC1100 owners confirm my theory or is something else wrong here?

Thanks in advance (sorry for long post)

2. IsaacKuo

IsaacKuo Pen Pal - Newbie

I have no idea if it could help, but maybe you could adjust the memory timing settings in the BIOS with the 512MB DIMM installed, before swapping the RAM?

3. Dom

Dom Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the suggestion but the BIOS is very simple and has 0 options for memory. You have given me an idea of checking if the BIOS is up to date however... will give that a go.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...maybe you could adjust the memory timing settings in the BIOS...>>

...I think that Isaac may be onto something here, but the BIOS doesn't implement that control. An additional interesting factoid: If your RAM is somehow screwed up (for example, not fully plugged into the socket) a PC won't even start; a behavior that sounds very similar to what you are describing.

Assuming that you have an Intel 855PM chip set in your TC1100, the system architecture shows that the memory controller is designed for 200 / 266 MHz DDR (page 13). On Page 19, 1.5 DRAM Interface, it says: "The Intel 855PM MCH directly supports one channel of PC1600/2100 SO-DIMM DDR memory." This might imply that although you have two sockets on the motherboard, the second socket is not useable.

Considering the above, my suggestion would be that you try to find two sticks of 1GB PC2700 and try that. It may be that the controller is having trouble with the faster RAM...

Now I have to look at my TC1100; I've forgotten how much RAM it has!

5. Dom

Dom Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the technical info, not sure on the exact chipset, I assumed they all shared the same, I can say its the Pentium M 1Ghz model... I agree I feel its problem is something to do with the 400Mhz memory, it can handle one DIMM of it but not both. Both sticks I've since tested in another DDR machine and work fine and unfortunately its not something as simple as the sticks not being inserted all the way.... I think I'm just going to source a 1GB 333Mhz module and give that a go....

6. Synergi

Synergi Scribbler - Standard Member

[​IMG] tc1100.JPG

Did you resolve this Dom? You can actually have 2 GB of ram on some models and I think it was 1.5 gigs on others if memory serves me. I maxed mine out quite a few years ago on ram and I used 166Mhz. I'm pretty sure this would be the fastest ram for that model or I wouldn't have bought it. Also, I'm curious on your Msata set up. How much storage did you end up with. I bought a rare 32gb SSD drive for the TC1100 some years ago. Runcore or Runecore I think it was called. They did have a 64GB option but it was more money than I wanted to spend for it at the time. I have PC2700 at 166mhz for the ram as seen in the pic.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  7. Yongtao

Yongtao Pen Pal - Newbie

TC1100 is way too old... I would happily replace it with a $100 win8 tablet based on bay-trail or cherry-trail, have you considered this option :)