HP Stream 7 OTG Cable/Power

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by BenGman, Nov 25, 2014.

1. BenGman

BenGman Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone tried those cables that claim to provide charging power to the tablet while using an OTG cable, like the official Dell OTG cable?

This tablet has OTG functionality at all? I am doing some research ahead of purchasing one of these tablets...

2. agraham

agraham Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had a Stream 7 for a few weeks now. As far as I know there is no way of charging while using an OTG cable.

Yes it does need an OTG cable to provide host mode USB functionality but the ability of the port to supply power is very limited. To overcome this I use a USB hub powered, for convenience, by a cheap "Power Bank" like this one http://goughlui.com/2013/07/17/review-unbranded-30000mah-2-port-usb-power-bank/ They are widely available but certainly do not have the capacity claimed and the CE marking is, I suspect, a marking only and not a sign of compliance with anything - but of course it is a cheap Chinese product so it's buyer beware and you get what you pay for. Mine takes about 20 hours to recharge taking on average 400mA or less so even at 100% charging capacity the real maHour-age can't be more than 8000 - but it's very cheap even for that capacity and does what I want! And it can give the Stream 7 a full recharge if needed.

3. BenGman

BenGman Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I have a couple Dell OTG cables for the Venue Pro 8 that are designed to accept USB accessories AND charge at the same time but they apparently only work on the tablet it's designed for but I bought them to try on the Asus Vivotab Note 8 (only 1 function at a time).

I was wondering if someone tried a known OTG power cable on this HP Stream 7.

4. Buddy Rich

Buddy Rich Pen Pal - Newbie

I too am curious if something like the +port or Vener8 would work.

Or the official Dell cable, if an unofficial OTG+Power Y cable doesn't work.

According to plugables the http://plugable.com/products/UD-PRO8#compatibility works with the Stream 7 so its capable of OTG+charge, its just a matter of how it is enabled.

5. BenGman

BenGman Pen Pal - Newbie

That plugable device looks great but seems overkill for the HP Stream 7 with it only having 1GB of RAM. Too bad that device does not work with the Asus VT8 M80TA .