HP Split 13 x2 - A closer look

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by excalibur1814, Nov 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hello all,

I couldn't help myself so I purchased a Split 13 x2 from PC World yesterday and then...
    [​IMG]

I decided to destroy it :)
    [​IMG]

with this
    [​IMG]

A new Plextor M5M mSata 256GB drive and an 8GB DDR3L 1600Mhz ram module (It MUST be a low voltage ram module so DDR'L' not standard DDR).

Removing the cover wasn't 'that' hard but the amount of strength that has to be used gets a bit worrying. It also helps if you locate the correct maintenance manual. Searching for 'Split x2' presents a pdf with a machine that looks EXACTLY like the Split 13 but the instructions are different and you might end up jabbing a scalpel into the wrong place (Cough). Search for 'HP Split 13' and you'll find the right one. Two screws from the bottom and then, using a scalpel or card, gently lift the silver back cover from the bottom. There's 2 main plastic 'thingies' (What are they called again) holding the cover with a few smaller ones.

At that point it gets interesting. As soon as you reach the sides you have to use Hulk strength to separate the cover. Once done it's stupidly easy to change the parts. Next.... The keyboard cover will have a 1TB 840 Evo SSD fitted.

Storage:
    - 256GB Plextor M5M msata SSD (tablet)
    - 64GB MicroSD card (tablet)
    - 1TB Samsung Evo 840 SSD (Keyboard)
    - 128GB SD card (Keyboard)

The screen is also quite nice.

Why this machine over all the other available? I already have a Samsung Ativ tab 3 for light use along with a Stylus so, due to the storage options and large screen, I went for this model. It would have been nice if the screen were at least 1600x900 but that's ok as it'll be connected to an external screen.

Note: PC World, here in the UK, listed it as having the HD 4600 but that is incorrect as it's the 4200! Naughty. I did point that out in the store so it'll be interesting to see if it changes.

bloodycape, JoeS and jtsmall like this.
  2. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Well done! I hope whatever tablet I buy in the coming weeks is as easy to upgrade. That'll a big bonus if the way I intend to use it changes.

3. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

What made you choose the Split over one of the higher res HP 13in X2 models?

4. excalibur1814

I'm in the UK and the options are limited. I'd have LOVED to have purchased a 1080p model or Spectre/Envy but they're simply not available. I could import but not having the \ beside z on the keyboard drives me insane (Admin that has to press the \ key a lot).

I don't think that there's and SD card on the other models either.

5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I think SD card is on the keyboard, but I think the Envy 13 offers an HDD option in the keyboard either, but that display is suppose to be really something.

6. excalibur1814

Here's something amusing...

I'm trying to factory reset the device using the moved recovery partition which, as you know is nothing special, but the recovery restores to the KEYBOARD hard drive (Secondary) and NOT the tablet mSata (Primary).

Oh, ok, that's ace! :)

7. atc

atc Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi

I'm in the UK too, where did you buy the RAM from as i would like to upgrade to 8gb ram

Thanks

A

8. excalibur1814

Hello Atc,

Ebay. Something like auction number: 380774648250

Mine was 'mac' ram even though it works on other machines.

9. atc

atc Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, also is there two slots or one for RAM

10. excalibur1814

Just one. It's a really nice device (Mine will be on ebay tomorrow as I'm saving again)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.