HP Spectre x360 - Synaptics

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by sven.hassel, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Finally got to try one of these in the local BB. A very nice device. But, what the hell was HP thinking with that touchpad? Is there an automatic delay on the TP when you type? My hands rested on the pad.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    czm2000 likes this.
  2. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, not quite sure what they were thinking, maybe bigger is better? Definitely not always true, especially in this case ;-)

I've pretty much gotten used to it and it doesn't register when I'm typing. I've got all the settings about perfect and I can't think of a single time when the mouse activated when I'm typing. Where I struggle a little, is when I go to use the mouse. I found I still really only use the left half (out of habit) and sort of leave my right hand resting on it and that of course doesn't work. I've definitely started to naturally adjust, but it was a bit of a pain at first. The rest of the device is so good though it was worth the learning curve.

Now if my 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD drive would just ship, all would be right in the world... for now :) I'm dreading the itch I'm sure to get once the whole Lenovo Active Pen thing sorts itself out :-(

-Chris

Bronsky likes this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yes. Using a touchpad that long is a chore in itself. And, you're also right that the rest of the Spectre is impressive. I was particularly impressed with the keyboard.

4. Tony B

Tony B Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I'm reviving after a few months of use have any of you had any problems? I just picked up the Scepter 360 with the upgraded screen/ssd/cpu and I also picked up the Dell active stylus because the HP stylus was so terrible. I'm still within my 15 days of returning this. The reason I'm thinking of returning it is because the controls for the pen are non-existent. The new Lenovo Thinkpad 14 has a Wacom digitizer, but has a couple of other problems (backlight leaking, buzzing in the headphone jack). So for me, it's between this HP, the Lenovo, or a Surface Pro 3.

Any thoughts? Everyone still loving their x360?

5. sven.hassel

sven.hassel Pen Pal - Newbie

I have no problems with the dell pen, but I only use to edit pdfs. I like the Spectre lot, and my only complains are:
    - it suffered significant battery drain while hibernating. I have stopped checking this, but as I installed W10 I will wait a bit to see it the problem is solved trough updated drivers.
    - it can get a bit too warm to use on the lap.
    - speakers are buggy (lots of users have problems with them).

I love the convertible function and the keyboard. Having an active stylus is a great bonus, and a function that is not very common in 13 inch convertibles.

Bronsky likes this.
  6. Russ Painter

Russ Painter Pen Pal - Newbie

I was trying to buy one of these in Ireland today. Apparently NONE of the HP models in Ireland support active stylus, only the capacative ones. The sales rep told me I would have to import one from the USA. I called USA sales, and they couldn't even confirm which models had digitizers. It's a mess.

7. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Good ol' HP sales reps.

8. Donald1

Donald1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a HP Spectre X360 laptop (4110nd i5-6200) since the last four weeks. The Dell stylus worked excellent (I use it with OneNote). Unfortunate did it give problems since last week. I restored to a previous restore point and all was well again. However since yesterday it's wrong again. If I draw circles or write the pen skips part of the drawing. Sometimes it also "jumps" to a random point at the screeen and you see a strange line. Is there a driver installed or how is the pen driver arranged. WACOM uses a seperate driver. Does Synaptics have the pen driver included in the clickpad touchpad driver ? Any ideas how to correct ?

9. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Does anyone know if the new OLED x360 models will use Wacom AES like the x2 series, or will it continue to be Synaptics?

10. OlleT

OlleT Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Marty!

Have found any data regarding the digitizer of the oled version. I got the laptop with the oled version and the Dell Active Stylus but they do not seem to be compatible. I have confirmed that the stylus works just fine with ips-version at local retailer.

Thanks!

Marty likes this.