HP Spectre x360 - Synaptics

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by sven.hassel, Mar 20, 2015.

1. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I just left Best Buy where they opened a pen for me and let me test it out on the Spectre x360, I gotta say, it was not bad at all. I was prepared to be disappointed, and was a bit surprised. While yes, it's not a mature product like Wacom has, but having just sold my Surface Pro 3, it's not too far off from that. N-Trig is better because it does take a little too much pressure to begin inking with the Synaptics, but it's my understanding this can be cured by going with the Dell Venue Pro pen instead of the HP Spectre Pen. So I would buy that one instead, and it's also encouraging to think that with just an improvement with the pen, the entire experience can be improved. Meaning, there's hope for further improvements down the road without having to get a whole new device. Anyway, I just pulled the trigger on it, and will be going to pick it up at Best Buy in a few hours. I wanted the 1080 device, and since there was no sacrifice in processor or Ram, I went with the $1,149 model, and just purchased a 512 mSata drive for $185 since I do need more space. But I don't want the higher res screen for several reasons, including longer battery life. I'll get the Spectre pen to hold me over for now, but will order the Dell pen so I can do a proper comparison. If anyone is interested, I'll keep you posted on my experience.

2. czm2000

OK, mercy! This HP Spectre stylus sucks pretty bad. Ordered the Dell one. Hoping that will be a significant improvement.

-Chris

3. sven.hassel

sven.hassel Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, please!

4. czm2000

Dell pen just shipped. I'll have it tomorrow.

I've been giving the Spectre Pen tip a good workout. Trying to soften the spring. The spring is clearly too stiff. It's gotten slightly better, but still no where near acceptable.

The pen is clearly the problem. I've watched a video comparison with the new Dell Pen and it's day and night difference. For example, you can drag the Dell pen across the screen and without any pressure from the user, the pen will leave ink just from the pressure of its own weight. This is huge, since with the current Spectre pen there is ZERO chance of that happening. Especially since you have to push so hard to get it started.

Anyway, this Spectre x360 is amazing in every other way, from the build quality, to the weight, to the speed, to the battery life! If the pen coming works well, this thing is a keeper!

I'll keep ya posted.

-Chris

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  5. czm2000

Sorry for delay. Didn't get the Dell Active stylus last night as expected. FedEx had a "shipping delay". Should arrive by this evening. Stay tuned...

6. czm2000

Good grief. It got damaged during shipping so FedEx is returning the pen to sender. I guess that's a good thing since I won't have to monkey around trying to get it returned.

But had to order another. They're saying I should have it by Friday.

7. czm2000

Got the Dell Stylus. Finally! I can confirm that it not only works, it's significantly better. I've gone from probably going to return this, to keeping it. All because of the new Dell Active Pen stylus. Still not Wacom (better accuracy than Wacom) but honestly, comes fairly close to N-Trig. Possibly as good as N-Trig. I'm feel like a pretty good judge on that since I just sold my Surface Pro 3 and used that for about 5 months. With the Spectre pen though, it wouldn't even be close. This was definitely going back if that's as good as it got. If I had to rate, I'd say on a scale from 1-10 (10 being the highest), I feel a properly calibrated Wacom stylus experience is about a 9. N-Trig is about an 8. And I'd put this x360 with the Dell Active Stylus (Model 750-AAGN) right between a 7 and an 8. Call it 7.5 and just to cover all the bases, the x360 stylus experience with the Spectre stylus is probably a 3 or 4. It was really that bad for me.

Working on putting together a quick (and probably crude) video demonstrating the difference between the two. Will try to have it up shortly. Stay tuned...

Mesosphere likes this.
  8. czm2000

Video is done. Sorry for the quality, I don't do this often and I'm not really setup for it. But hopefully it will help at least give people an idea of how much better the stylus experience can be with the Dell Active Pen instead of the HP Spectre Stylus.

Let me know if anyone has any questions.

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Thanks for taking the time to do that. Looks like HP is recycling their Slate 500 pen barrels. Odd, but the Dell Synaptics pen might save an otherwise fatal flaw on this device. Your notebook is beautiful. It outMacs a Mackbook. Your video really shows the scalloping on the keys. Thanks again.

czm2000 likes this.
  10. czm2000

Lisa from MobileTechReview just posted a smack down yesterday between the Surface Pro 3 and the Spectre x360. She talks about how much better the Dell stylus is a couple times. But I also think she does (as always) a very fair comparison between the two. Having had the SP3 for 5 months I'd say her assessment for both are spot on.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015