HP Spectre x360 - 8th Gen Intel (Late 2017)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dstrauss, Oct 19, 2017.

1. 02nz

02nz Pen Pal - Newbie

I totally agree about the visibility of the keyboard lettering on the silver finish (one of the few design faults of the Spectre x360, IMO) and the attractiveness of the dark ash color. I saw it in person at BB and loved it. I also agree the i5-8250U is a good value (the i7-8550U's performance advantage is 3-5%, according to benchmarks online). As for upgrading, are you sure the RAM is an open socket? The previous model had an M.2 slot for the SSD, but the RAM was soldered on, with no slot for upgrading. I suspect this remains the case with the 8th-gen model, and that's at least part of the reason HP doesn't offer the 16GB RAM with the i5 (to minimize the number of distinct motherboards, since the RAM is soldered on). As for the SSD, yes prices come down over the long term, but given the global NAND shortage that's not always true in the short and even medium term - e.g., when I upgraded my Dad's computer a year ago, a 256GB (SATA) SSD was under $70, but when I upgraded my Mom's computer a few weeks ago it was closer to $100 for a decent drive. I rather doubt that high-performance 512GB NVMe drives are going to fall to under $100 in the next few years.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  2. 02nz

02nz Pen Pal - Newbie

Would also add that my previous experience with hp.com was excellent - I got a great price in October '16 on the 7th-gen model (then just released), but when there was a slightly lower price for Black Friday, they actually agreed to refund me the difference, even though it was past the 30-day window (but just inside of the holiday day return period), and I had to enter a coupon to get to the lower price. I was really surprised they agreed to this, and HP won some points with me for that. They've also been easy to deal with on returns.

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I'm pretty sure the fall 2017 models have socketed ram. I'm sure I saw it in Lisa Gade's video review (mobiletechreview) but that might've been dor the 15". You just have to research if the 13" has socketed ram too.

4. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

That was the 15" with RAM slots, I haven't gotten the 13" in yet.

jedah likes this.
  5. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm kinda wrestling between Sureview or not (esp since it's not available in the beautiful dark ash). Any thoughts on how much a 120Hz refresh rate would affect battery life? I liked the slightly faster response, but would prefer not to take a (significant) hit in battery.

6. Birkz

Birkz Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi
    Anyone seen any reviews for the new 13inch?
    Very interested in swapping my surface pro 4 for this.
    Lisa, will you be reviewing it once you get it?

7. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

OF course I will :)

the Lenovo Yoga 920 is ahead of it in the review queue. I'm really impressed with what Lenovo has done to improve the 900 series this year-- now it really is a viable Spectre x360 competitor.

8. Birkz

Birkz Pen Pal - Newbie

Awesome!

The 920 caught my eye too, looks very promising. Lenovo keyboards have never hit the spot for me (I've owned one of the first Yoga's and type a lot) but this one seems like a really complete package.

Anyway, looking forward for your reviews, will definetely help me make the decision :)

MobileTechReview likes this.
  9. XavierX

XavierX Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had my eyes on both the hp spectre x360 15 and the samsung notebook pro 15 (available with 8th gen). But heat is going to be a deal breaker cause I'm going to be pushing these laptops regularly. Any recommendations?

10. XavierX

XavierX Pen Pal - Newbie

I see that you've got the 15 inch spectre,would you mind commenting on its heat management?