HP Spectre x360 - 8th Gen Intel (Late 2017)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dstrauss, Oct 19, 2017.

1. txrunner

txrunner Pen Pal - Newbie

2. txrunner

txrunner Pen Pal - Newbie

Many thanks for your reply. Actually, mine is the newest, 8th generation I7 processor version (which literally only came out a few days ago), so the ones you had in March aren't the same (although I am sure they are similar enough). I think the hinge issue is probably a defect since the model in the Best Buy store did not have the same problem. I'll probably return it, but I have already gone through so much of the set up process that there is some pain of returning and doing that all over again.

The heat issue is actually pretty common (just google "spectre x360 fan noise", and you will see hundreds of posts), but I think that is also a pretty common issue as they make these laptops thinner and thinner and leave very little room for heat to dissipate.

I'll probably take your advice and return it sooner rather than later to see if I can get a good one. However, I WILL be getting the extended warranty since there are issues that may come up after the warranty (like dropping it as you mentioned!). Thanks.

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I think the machine swallowed your message. :D

yuriylsh likes this.
  4. yuriylsh

yuriylsh Pen Pal - Newbie

While I feel like you made some good points in your message, I think it's worth pointing out that since you tested your machines in March it means you tested the older version. Which is noticeably different inside (7th vs 8th generation intel processors, different IO) as well as outside (redesigned chassis).

5. xtwo

xtwo Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for this. I noticed the customized configuration with the 16gb ddr4-2400, 512 ssd, and pen was only about 30 bucks more than the sale price of the pre-configured model (recently $100 off). i purchased the pre-configured model before i realized about the ram and will report back once it arrives. I'm hoping they stick the faster RAM in there, but im doubtful since it specifically specifies otherwise. i think the ssd is a tossup- they could not specify for me over phone or chat. below is an image of both in cart- note the preconfigured does not have the $100 off currently.

the other thing you can do to bring down price a bit is use HP gift cards that are usually 15% off at giftcardzen, mine came out to around 1250 shipped after taxes. downside is youre stuck with hp giftcards should you decide to return.

https://imgur.com/a/to90o

6. lovelaptops

I hear you on going through setup all over again. I've come to a practice in which I do the minimum setup on a new machine to put it through its paces and make sure it's not a lemon or just a thumbs-down before I invest all that time.

Other than some additional thermal issues (and performance) I really don't think there's any significant difference between the early 2017 (its second 7th gen model, with a modified chassis) and the late 2017 8th gen model. That's particularly true for such things as the hinge and the crazy sluggishness of your unit. Its true that thin metal ultrabooks all have some thermal challenges, they should not be apparent when you are just writing on the screen unless there are power-hungry processes in background.

Part of me thinks the best way to buy one of these is to get a good deal from the HP outlet on a refurb. Instead of just rolling off an assembly line into a carton, refurbs must be inspected and tested by humans. The reason I say from the HP outlet is because I believe they sell them with full warranty. So you get a brand new looking unit that is much less likely to be DOA and you save 25% or so. Downside is you have to wait for your config to be available. Just a thought. I've owned so many refurbs and, truly, never had a bad-performing one.

7. xtwo

xtwo Pen Pal - Newbie

8. 02nz

02nz Pen Pal - Newbie

The same link (Best Buy's Black Friday ad) also shows $1000 for the 13-inch with 8th-gen Core i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Full HD. HP's Black Friday ad is also out, and has the 13-inch starting at $900 (I believe that's for a Core i5, 8GB, 256GB). Both are good offers but hard to argue with paying $100 more for a (slightly) faster processor and twice the RAM and storage. The only downside with Best Buy is that this configuration is only in the regular silver, not the ash silver, which looks fantastic in person and wasn't nearly the fingerprint magnet I expected it might be.

I might soon pick up my third Spectre x360. I actually bought the 2015 (6th-gen Core) version of the Spectre x360 13-inch but returned it as it was a bit chunky and heavy. I bought the 7th-gen Core version about a year ago and was pretty happy with it, except for how hot it got. I wish I hadn't paid extra for the 7500U though - an i7 in name only, since it only had two cores, and the faster processor probably only exacerbated the heat issue. That appears to be one of the things they addressed in this latest revision, so I sold mine a few weeks ago on eBay and plan to pick up the new one from BB once their Black Friday sale goes live.

9. yuriylsh

yuriylsh Pen Pal - Newbie

Since I'd been in possession of both 13'' and 15'' models (both 4K, 8th get, 16GB, 512) for a short period of time, I thought I would share some pictures I took, mostly for the size comparison:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. lovelaptops

It strikes me that, unless you really need the added cpu performance, the best config for this machine, particularly in 13" variety, would be an 8th gen Core i5 with 16GB 2400 RAM and 512GB (or more) SSD. Since you can change the RAM and SSD - very rare on an ultrabook these days, both are open sockets - it might be worth pricing out a Core i5 and planning to upgrade RAM and SSD (as I imagine HP won't sell you an i5 with 16GB/512GB) possibly not even right away, though you would want to be sure you had the Samsung 951 or 961 SSD to start. My reasoning for postponing the upgrade, especially SSD, is that prices will come down and presumably you may not need all 512GB from the get-go. Just thinking that the Core i5 would generate less heat and get better battery life and now that even the i5 ULV is quad core it seems the best of both worlds. If it's priced honestly, it would also be around $200 cheaper, which would subsidize a RAM or SSD upgrade,

Last small point: having once owned a 2015 Spectre with the sliver finish, it can be difficult to see the key masking in normal daylight, with or without the backlight on. Just not enough contrast. That is a non-issue with the "Dark Ash" color. Also, though this is a matter of taste, I happen to think the Dark Ash/bright brass/copper version is about the most elegant design ever on a laptop. I would pay $100 extra just to get that, particularly given the keyboard visibility issue.