HP Spectre x360 - 8th Gen Intel (Late 2017)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dstrauss, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Septemous

Septemous Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all - just signing up and thank you for the great info!
    I'm a long time MBP user who is looking to move to PC for many of the reasons listed in this thread.
    I do 2D/3D Cad work and rendering.

To me the HP Spectre x360 (eventually combined with an external GPU) seems to be a solid option.

Question on purchasing:

Reading through the post, It seems there are 2 good options on where to get the machine Best Buy & HP. Trying to pull the pro's / cons of each

Best Buy
    • + Easy / Local / In-Stock
    • + Samsung SSD ?
    • - Difficult to return (possibly)
    • - Customer Service
    • - No Pen
    HP Direct
    • + Configurable
    • + Pen
    • +/- Easy Return BUT possible 15% Restocking Fee on customized models
    • - Toshiba SSD ?
    • - Long Wait time
    • - DDR4-2133 RAM

Now - when you customize on the HP Website - the wait time increases significantly BUT ....

It seems the Ram ups to DDR2400 ??
    Does the HD update to a Samsung ??
    Are the wait times 'real world' ?

Any thoughts appreciated!

(Generally newbie windows question - If I'm a stand-alone user - does WinPro really do anything for me?)

Thank you in advance !

S_

2. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

3. Septemous

Hi Shizru - I think that IS this thread (or is that sarcasm?)
    I"m trying to organize the information I've seen here between all the posts.
    Tx :)

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

As I don't have that device anymore, the best I can do is paste the post I made to an earlier Spectre x360 thread which I know had worked for me and, due to the lack of anyone saying it didn't work for them at the time (I was responding to someone who was anguished over the issue), I'm assuming it does the trick:

Good news for you. There is a setting that fixes/causes this:

Settings>Devices>Pen & Windows ink:

"Ignore touch input when I'm using my pen"

I had originally toggled that on, thinking it was about palm rejection, but it turns out it does just what you have experienced: ignores touch input other than pen when pen is in use and for a couple of seconds after you stop writing. Turn this setting off and you can use the touch screen for navigation any time but finger/hand contact will not make marks on screen - palm rejection is handled elsewhere, though I haven't figured out where. It's working fine on mine (the 13" version, with 4k screen).

Let me know if this works for you.

5. txrunner

txrunner Pen Pal - Newbie

My first post since I was looking for true reviews on the 8th gen 13, and couldn't find it. I just bought the spectre x360, 13, 8th gen, 4K, 16 GB RAM, 512GB at Best Buy (bought it Friday when it first came out at my local Best Buy). Here are a number of issues:

* The hinge is probably a deal breaker for me since I will have it open at a normal viewing angle, then when I pick it up it goes into an almost flat position with no effort. The hinge is incredibly weak. Not something I expected

* The fan comes on a LOT. I have updated the BIOS, made sure that there were no programs running in the background, did all of the things you would do to reduce stress on the system, but it comes on regardless. It is loud, but not crazy loud. However, if you were in a meeting with other people and the fan clicked on (which it would do for sure unless you have a 5 minute meeting), then everyone would notice. The fan comes on for no reason as well. It can be just sitting there and then it starts running when I am not even using the laptop. It ALWAYS comes on when I use the pen. Something about the way it incorporates the built in GPU must put stress on it

* Battery life is super short as most have already commented with the 4K screen. I have not inked out 5 hours and I am doing nothing but writing and normal web viewing (haven't even watched a movie yet). Haven't tried all of the battery life management stuff yet, but will get to that and see if it helps

* Get significant lag with my typing and what shows on the screen (about a 2 second delay in when I type and when it shows on the screen....makes for a lot of typing errors). A restart makes it go away, but it starts again in about 5 minutes. Not sure if that is a hardware or software issue. Will track that one down, but it is hugely annoying

* The screen is nice, but not "breathtaking" as so many reviewers have stated. I found no dead pixels and it is pretty crisp. Like it, but not in awe. I am coming from a Yoga 910 that had a high resolution screen, so this is not a huge departure from that

* The Windows Hello facial recognition works amazingly well. I'm pretty surprised. The fingerprint reader only works about a tenth of the time (which is why I went to the facial recognition).

* Cortana is real hit or miss....mostly miss. Tries to shoot you to the web anytime you ask a question about the computer (like "control panel" )

* the keypad is good, much better than the Lenovo Yoga I had

Haven't tried the webcam to see about that purple hue, but that is next. Probably going to return it due to the hinge.

6. Septemous

I stopped by a BestBuy today

BestBuy Model

$1599
    - 512 GB Samsung SSD
    - 16gb DDR2400 Ram

Thus the higher price then HP.com - but less then the customized HP.com to get the same specs.

7. txrunner

I just checked my new, 8th gen, spectre 13, 4K, 16 GB, 512 GB camera and I have the same, exact purple hue. Mine is stronger purple than yours. EVERYTHING is purple or purple hued. It is also very grainy, even in bright light. Terrible camera.....super disappointing.

8. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Not intended that way...I meant to link to the other main X360 thread my bad.

9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Based on your experience I am positive there is something amiss with your machine, and my hunch is that it is software related. I put two of these (same config, 4K and FHD) through their paces in March and did not experience the heat/fan issues, the delay in typing (always the sign of an overloaded processor or i/0), nor battery life as bad as you're experiencing though mine was not that much better, it was always from 5:30 to 7:00, but the lower range was with more taxing work than just using the pen to take notes.

I wish I had more technical savvy to suggest what might help, and you sound like you have enough to have tried the right things - new BIOS, etc. - but I would consider either: 1) a clean install of Windows or, 2) return the thing and get a replacement, hopefully one not plagued as yours is.

Oh, perhaps most importantly, the hinges on both of mine were fine. You can check reviews here and on web sites, but hard to imagine a machine with so much acclaim could generally have such weak hinges, given its mission as a "convertible." For this reason, choose my remedy 2), above, if you want to give it another shot. E

This machine has its pros and cons, but the sluggishness, heat/fan and truly atrocious battery life are not among its cons, as experienced by many, if not all. I didn't like the touchpad either, but found I could make adjustments that helped.

Good luck. Such a shame that greatness must be flawed, but keep in mind that even business class machines come off the line with defects. In my experience with HP of recent times, if you can get a good sample from the store/HP, it has a high probability of standing the test of time. Still, I'd pay for an extended wtty including ADH for a model this costly. (I find the chance that I will accidentally drop a computer is highly correlated to how many things go wrong with it past the return date!)

10. txrunner