HP Spectre x360 - 8th Gen Intel (Late 2017)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dstrauss, Oct 19, 2017.

1. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

5 years ago, I had a friend get a BB 3 month return ban because of a complex games pre-order bundle that had to be processed as a refund and repurchase once the games were actually available. That old system didn't allow them to categorize returns in any sort of intelligent way-- defective swaps like yours, pre-order converted to purchase like his. Even price matches used to be rung up as return and repurchase, which could add "strikes" against you. Customers complained enough and I guess that's why they killed it.

I have seen the x360 13", I do not yet have one in house for review.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I keep wondering if the off the wall rumors about Amazon buying BB as a show room may really occur some day...

3. xtwo

xtwo Pen Pal - Newbie

Can anyone confirm what speed RAM is included in their model? HP shows 2400 in the build to order model and 2133 in the preconfigured 15. I don't see it specified on the BB website.

4. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

I just tried a 13" at Best Buy. Both 1080p and 4K version, the delay is drastically reduced versus the early 2017 model. It's now useable.

I also got a chance to check out the Sure View model. The 120Hz refresh is pretty sweet. Sadly, it's only available for the natural silver instead of the dark ash that I really wanted, but it might be worth it.

5. DJ88

DJ88 Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone have issues with x360 13' overheating, loud fan noise, or coil whine?? I really want to get the FHD version with 8th gen CPU this holiday season. The heating/fan issue is the only thing I'm worried about as I see some complaints on forums. Thx!!

6. yuriylsh

yuriylsh Pen Pal - Newbie

Unfortunately this information is not correct. If somebody at BestBuy told you so, I'm afraid they misled you. Found out it myself hard way:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. yuriylsh

My apologies for the huge images, should've resized them...

8. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

Yikes and oh no! Bummer that Best Buy is still at it.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    DJ88 likes this.
  9. yuriylsh

The first one I bought has a nasty HDD-like sound.

The second one had two dark spots in the top-right quarter of the screen (see image below).
    [​IMG]

The third one (which I'll keep) produces whining noise when keyboard's backlit is turned on. I've created a quick video to let you hear it for yourself:

10. DJ88

DJ88 Pen Pal - Newbie

:(:( That sucks! I really like the specs for the price and the laptop looks nice too. Just seeing multiple people complain about different issues it's very concerning.. why can't they make consistent quality products??

Thanks for the reply btw.