HP Spectre x360 - 8th Gen Intel (Late 2017)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dstrauss, Oct 19, 2017.

1. yuriylsh

yuriylsh Pen Pal - Newbie

Here is how the purple tint looks like.
    This picture was taken using iPhone:
    [​IMG]

And this one is from x360:
    [​IMG]

2. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been eyeing this one since it managed to add in the few things I wish my early 2017 version had: (SD card and fingerprint reader). Does this by chance get rid of that stupid "feature" where there is a 2 second delay for touch input after using the pen?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  3. yuriylsh

I've just tried it on 13'' one with 4K panel, looks like the touch input is disabled after using pen. It does not seem to be disabled for as long as 2 seconds, maybe a second.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    jedah likes this.
  4. yuriylsh

I couldn't live with that static electrical noise coming from my 13'' X360. So I went to a different BestBuy store (just to increase the probability of getting a laptop from a different batch) and got a replacement (the same 4K, i7 8th gen, 16/512). Unfortunately, the replacement came out even worse. While the first laptop had that noise only from time to time, the replacement one had the noise all the time. The noise is not all that loud and reminds me the sound coming from HDDs, but it is definitely noticeable when sitting in a quite room. I can tell that it is not coming from fans as it was audible even when fans weren't working.

Anyway, I didn't want my $1500 laptop that I was intended to use for the next 3-5 years to have such a noticeable issue. Thus the replacement went back to BestBuy for refund and I'm back to my SP4 (which works just fine, but 8GB in it is becoming a limiting factor, plus extra cores would definitely help with my workload). The only alternatives to X360 I can find are Lenovo Yogas 720 and 920. I guess I'll wait till 8th gen Intel processors become more ubiquitous and then I'll shop around again...

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Couple things - pardon lack of contextual quotes from related posts, they're all pretty recent. Also, pls know that I performed the "Strauss bake off" of both models in March, with the 7th gen cpu versions.

First, something not discussed but which may be a deal breaker for some for the 13" model. With the 4k screen and the 60 wh battery the best I could get was in the 5-7 hr range, vs. 7-9 with the 15" and its hulking 80 wh battery. Now, given that I saw the 15" as a DTR I decided lower batt life would be ok whereas I would want to use the 2.8 lb 13" model as a portable some of the time. But it turned out the opposite: the bigger form factor adds 1.6 lbs and increases batt capacity by 1/3 giving the large one, that I wouldn't schlep around, the endurance to do so while the only way to get 9 hrs endurance from the 13" was to go to the FHD display. That display is lovely, bright, high contrast and accurate after calibration - but after seeing the 4k, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Since I decided I too found the 15" model too girth-y for my comfort, I returned them both and resolved to wait for the next refresh, hoping hp would figure out how to defy the laws of physics - or perhaps use the Sharp IGSO solution, that does the trick for Dell in the XPS 13. Anyway, just wanted folks to be aware of this since I didn't see anyone reference it.

The delay between pen, screen and TouchPad is a red herring as a "problem." There is a setting for the TouchPad that causes it and removes it. I'm pretty sure you can set the length of the delay, down to none. It's no different than the delay option between typing and hitting the TouchPad - known as "flying cursor" adjustment. Anyway, it's an easy fix, which took me a fair amount of exploration to figure out originally. The mistake is that the default setting is for a delay instead of no delay.

I'm glad you brought up the heinous Best Buy return fiasco. That got me 2 years ago and I haven't gone back to BB yet. I wrote letters and made phone calls and got nowhere. Typical case of a corporate decision likely made by a 29 year old egg head who did an analysis showing it would save the company money. Problem is, the analysis must not have included the profit hit from losing high value customers, forever. Bought new kitchen and laundry appliances this year for over $5,000 and didn't consider BB. Not to mention the $3,000 I spend on gadgets and supplies, net of returns. By hiring a third-party company to administer the program they threw away any possibility of hearing customer feedback; it all goes to that third-party, who sees BB, not us, as the customer. It's a closed loop if you try to complain, and BB management hates it, but says it's beyond their control. It won't be long til Amazon figures out how to Whole-Foods (the verb) BB; they just haven't turned their attention to it. While I don't like the Amazonation of the retail world, if capitalism works at all it should make the B&B's of the world realize they need to follow the simple rule: bathe your customers with kindness while you take as much of their money as you can!

Bellin-out

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!

7. dstrauss

Did you know there's a hole in your cameras...:p

On a more serious note - I don't think I've taken a picture with a computer ever - and if I it ain't Facetime I don't do video conferencing, so should be ok.

Now, the static issue will become a real downer if that happens...

8. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

Care to share those touchpad settings? I messed around with a few clickpad setting on mine, including smart sense, but nothing made a difference.

9. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

Best Buy, at least in the US, ended their partnership with that horrid company and no longer track your returns and punish you in the draconian way they did a few years ago.

dstrauss likes this.
  10. dstrauss

Great news (I really do understand that serial returns for "changing my mind" is expensive, but NOT when I can demonstrate an out of the box defect).

BTW - have you seen the 13" version of the new HP Spectre x360?