HP Spectre x360 - 8th Gen Intel (Late 2017)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dstrauss, Oct 19, 2017.

1. yuriylsh

yuriylsh Pen Pal - Newbie

I like the 15'' screen real estate but I am not sure the extra size/weight (compared to 13'') is worth it... I do not have use for MX150 so basically it is just an extra heat source/power drain for my usage.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Believe me, returns/refunds with HP are simple and work great. I went back to my Order Page at HP, pulled up chat, and they arranged return including sending me the prepaid FedEx label. I'd definitely get the 1TB option if you are going to try again. You'll also have the option to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro if that is important to you.

As for size/weight - that big 15.6" screen is amazing for my old eyes, but after years of using only Surface Pros (1-4), it was just more than I wanted to haul around - I played with the 13" at Best Buy and it really reminds me of a cross between the MacBook and MacBook Pro 13...with a Surface Pro 4 touch/pen screen thrown in...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    yuriylsh likes this.
  3. yuriylsh

This is good to know, thank you! Did they ask you about reasons for returning? I've just read their return policy(http://store.hp.com/us/en/cv/returnsandexchanges) which states "Customized PC's are subject to a 15% restocking fee unless the product is defective or the return is a result of an HP.com error." This made me a bit uneasy about returns since "defective" is a somewhat vague term (are wobbly touchpad or a couple of dead pixels, or noise coming from fans considered as defects?). But if they do returns/replacements no question asking (as BestBuy does), than I will go with HP online store and double my SSD size.

I'm with you on this one. Coming from SP4 here and I'm definitely spoiled by its size, weight and portability.

4. dstrauss

I don't know - they may be treated it as "defective" because it was a second choice to begin with and they encouraged me to do it. I originally wanted the 13", but they never could get their SKU's right to offer the 1TB option (it was frozen at 128/360/512gb) and then suggested 15" because it had the 1TB option - when I called back and said it was not what I needed and cross-ordered the 13" they had no hesitation taking it back. Maybe I'll get nicked the 15% and not know it until I see the refund but we'll arm wrestle about it then. To me, the 13" with fingerprint reader, two Thunderbolt 3, and better pen are worth the upgrade.

PS - beware BB returns. they use a third party company to monitor returns, and if you cross an unstated threshold of "big returns" they will put you on a blacklist and not accept any returns, even on DOA devices, for one year. You have to go get warranty service only. I got blacklisted during the Surface Book fiasco when I returned three units that were clearly defective (video; bad dock; hot bagging) and they banned me from making any returns. I bought a spare pen for my Surface Pro 4 that had a broken nib input (couldn't pull the old broken one out) and they made me send it back to Microsoft instead of an in store return - I routinely refer to them as "Worst Buy."

5. yuriylsh

Hmm, I did 2 returns in $1500 ballpark in the last 3 months, let's see how it goes then, maybe I'll get on their black list too :)

6. dstrauss

As I recall, they "warn you" with the last return they will allow that "you may be banned next time" so should be able to get this one through if they didn't give you the little slap on the wrist warning last time. It's all BS, especially if you can show them a defect and not just repeated "I changed my mind" stuff.

7. yuriylsh

Looks like I'm too late, they've increased the price for ssd upgrade to 1TB :(
    Just yesterday the configuration I was looking for was $1560, today because of SSD price jump it's $1809
    Well, it looks like I'll just get a replacement from BB then. upload_2017-10-25_12-44-14.png

8. dstrauss

OH WOW - what a jump for 1TB - kind of shoots my comparisons by $250. Guess I got lucky on a website error and they honored it.

I have updated my prior post - but still an $800-$1200 savings over the Surface competition.

9. yuriylsh

I remembered that I had it configured and added to cart prior to the price hike in another browser in (little)hope it would allow me to order with the older price, when there - but no, no luck.
    upload_2017-10-25_14-14-16.png

10. yuriylsh

Looks like the purple tint in the built-in camera is not a hardware/driver problem on my particular machine. Google finds tons of complaints when searching for "spectre x360 camera purple tint". Apparently it only works fine under fluorescent lighting. I do skyping on regular basis so this might be a problem. Why HP, why?