HP Spectre x360 - 8th Gen Intel (Late 2017)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dstrauss, Oct 19, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Thanks - random then.

2. dstrauss

I've changed the title of this thread to just "Spectre x360" to cover both, as the 13" model should be here the first week of November, and I'm really looking forward to the smaller size and better pen (4096 pressure, eraser, rechargeable). I just a had to update now, though, because I am beyond SHOCKED at the cost of the comparable Surface Laptop.

UPDATED 10/25/17 - @yuriylsh just let me know the 1TB ssd has jumped $250 (to $330 more than the base 256gb) so I've updated my rant below - it still is too much of a premium to pay:

$1879.99 [1629.99] - the Spectre x360 13 I ordered has the i7-8550U, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 4k display, 2xUSB-C/Thunderbolt 3, USB-A, mSDXC, pen and a 360 degree screen.

$2699.00 - a comparable Surface Laptop with last year's processor - no pen, no Thunderbolt 3, no note taking potential.

$810 [1060] ($909 [1159] WITH PEN) MORE FOR LESS...

$2999.00
    - a comparable Surface Book 2 - at least you get the new processor, Clipboard and GTX 1050, but no pen, so "only" a $1239 [1489] difference...

I know I've been ranting a lot lately, but this is not insane, this is basically theft.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    DRTigerlilly likes this.
  3. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Welcome to the world of insatiable corporate greed, as prescribed by the likes of Apple. They can only get away with it if mugs keep purchasing over priced hardware and buying in to brand/lifestyle nonsense. I'll be going back to an abacus and two cans and a length of string before I ever by M$ or Apple hardware. Now that mobile phones have hit price points of $1000 maybe some of these machine manufactures will try pushing the price of high end portables?

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

It’s not theft if people pay it of their own free will. It’s theft of a sort when it’s a monopoly, but that’s not the case either. They charge more for branding, and if people pay it, it’s because they think it’s worth it.

What’s the value of a product? What people are willing to pay for it.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    dellaster likes this.
  5. Shizaru

Fair market value!

These companies are exploiting the labor of people in developing countries, where environmental legislation are avoided damaging the health of local populations and their environment. Exploitation and then excessive profit margins in countries where they can extract the most, often generating consumer debt because credit is made easily available. These businesses also don't invest in their home markets to support the local or national economies. They also build in backdoor to enable access to your hardware and then charge you excessively for the privilege of having your privacy and security breached by them and third-parties.

hiramkey likes this.
  6. Steve B

That all may be true, Shizaru, but that was not the point he was making. He said it was too expensive for what it offered. I said the market offers far better cheaper options, and if people want to pay it that’s their choice.

That has very little to do with the global economy, thrashing the Earth, not investing in domestic industries, or exploiting foreign labor. That has to do with what people are willing to pay with disposable income in developed countries for almost branding alone.

7. Shizaru

You cant fully account for stupidity. It seems to be a messed up situation in modern society where values etc. have been skewed my media and marketing, which often places value on aspects that have no practical or intrinsic value. If people read Edward Bernays maybe they wouldn't be so easily fooled, by cheap tricks, once they understand why and what is being done to exploit and deceive them.

I think the exploitation of foreign people to drive down costs and then on the other side of the scale exploiting the market buying the product is relevant, and a vile corporate practice on many levels, that negatively affects society both home and abroad. Easy access to debt is also a factor that allows people to be in a position to "afford" artificially high priced items. If that were not the case maybe companies like Crapple and M$ would be selling products at a fair market price, based on their costs and acceptable margins.

8. Steve B

My pardon, Shizaru- I shouldn’t have responded as I did. Why? Because we are here to talk about computers. If you want to talk about those other worthwhile subjects, please do so elsewhere. Start a thread or something. But you’ve been going around making these sorts of comments all over the boards in other threads, and as a moderator, I’m now asking you to reign it in, and please stay on topic. Thanks.

9. dstrauss

Since I started this mess, let me finish it. I did not intend to speak to the global economy; labor exploitation; resource exploitation; or anything of the kind (which are all valid topics for philosophical discourse) BUT it was to point to the absurdity of Microsoft's pricing - they are not Apple in a monopolistic market (if you want MacOS you have to go with Apple) - they have MANY competitors making HIGHLY COMPETITIVE designs, including the x360 (and the Spectre 13 for that matter) highlighted here.

My only intent was to point out there are excellent alternatives to consider, which I think I did. Let's stick to comparing computers and enjoying the jousting about that...

10. yuriylsh

yuriylsh Pen Pal - Newbie

I've got the 13'' one with i7-8550/16gb/512gb from BestBuy a couple days ago. I love the 4K display and performance is top notch. Unfortunately, sometimes there is "static" noise coming from the fans, as if some light very light cable or ribbon is touching the fan. It seems to only happens when the fans are ramping up, but still, not acceptable for $1500 device. Also, the front-facing camera colors are skewed towards red/purple way too much.

Now I'm debating whether I should get a replacement from BB, or order one from HP directly where I can get 1TB instead of 512GB for only $60 more. But if quality control is an issue, it is so much easier to get a replacement/refund from BB. Decisions, decisions...