HP Spectre x360 - 8th Gen Intel (Late 2017)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dstrauss, Oct 19, 2017.

1. 731Woodworks

731Woodworks Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered mine and it should be here next week. I only got the 512GB SSD though. It was $1700 with 12GB Ram and the 512 GB SSD

2. Vladi

Vladi Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi pips!

I got the 13" i7-8850u model couple of days ago and I am considering to return it, because of fan noise.
    I have upgraded from a 5 year old ultrabook with i7-4500u and I got something worse as a result.

I've found lots of posts about it and tried the solution of limiting the performance, but I just want to verify that I have the same problem (Also I cannot read 19 pages of posts ;) ):

When it's in BETTER PERFORMANCE it doesn't go higher than 2Ghz, yet the fan is working but quietly (with some annoying whistling) while being on 2%-10% - in this mode it's a bit slower than my 5 y.o. laptop and my old laptop doesn't have any noise when CPU is low.
    When it's on BEST PERFORMANCE it's faster, but the fan starts working much heavier after like 10 minutes and it doesn't stop. Using it while the fan works like this is not pleasant for me.

So if I want to use it in a more or less pleasant way then it works slower than my old laptop..

I don't think a replacement will solve anything, I think that's just how it works.

Please let me know if I am wrong..

Thanks

3. Lookasso

Lookasso Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys, could you please give me a feedback on the brightness of the display outdoor and on the quality of the palm rejection?
    They are the two reasons why I would prefer the more expensive, bigger and heavier Lenovo x1 yoga.
    I was told that the palm rejection of Wacom emr is the best of all, then Wacom aes, and last ntrig.
    But i wonder what you feel on this device.
    And the brightness of the hdr display of the x1 is amazing but i wonder if this hp enough....

Lastly, what about real life battery life in notebook and in stylus?

Thanks!

4. Lookasso

Nobody?

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Sorry - I abandoned the Spectre x360 a while back...

6. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

@Lookasso I don't know if all recent 15" HP Spectre x360 use the same display but the display on my device isn't really bright. In the dark I still have it at 50% brightness and indoor at day between 50 and 100%. Didn't use it outdoor yet but I think it wouldn't be a great experience. But overall quality of the display is excellent.

About palm rejection, I can't compare it with Wacom AES but EMR is definitely much better.

7. Lookasso

I've also abandoned the Spectre finally. Now I'm deciding between the new Envy with AMD or the yoga 730, like you can see I'm my new thread (you're more than welcome to come and help with the decision!).
    I still wish the Samsung notebook 9 pen would have better battery and more than 8gb ram and 256ssd.
    Otherwise it would be my choice.