HP Spectre x360 - 8th Gen Intel (Late 2017)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dstrauss, Oct 19, 2017.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Hate to sound like the town dunce! I had the impression this could be used as an input/ouput device through any computer, kind of like a substitute for an active digitizer screen on the computer it is connected to, whether for drawing, note taking or, if applicable, Matlab. I could swear that's what an Amazon reviewer said he did with it. Are you saying it can only be used as a standalone tablet for drawing?

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Not that it cannot be used but it certainly wouldn't be ideal...particularly for note taking...

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

WHERE THE "H" IS THAT ACER SWITCH 7 WHEN WE NEED IT!!!!

4. Sravan

Sravan Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I'm having 13inch 512gbssd 16gb ram and i'm finding it too hot
    My CPU temps( as per core temp) are 50-60 C when idle
    80-90 C while playing Asphalt 8 :(
    and 70-80 C while charging and idle
    Is this normal??
    how r ur temperatures??
    Please reply :)

5. dstrauss

Sorry - I returned my for overheating and poor inking (a lot of skipping and latency).

6. Sravan

Sravan Pen Pal - Newbie

Can anyone who is using currently answer please:)):

7. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

Now you can customize the Zbook X2 with 8th generation i7-8650. If I drop Windows 10 and Adobe software, and choose free DOS, 32GB/1TB, etc., it will be around $3500, still OK for me if I want to combine a quad-core 32GB RAM mobile workstation with an EMR device such as Samsung Galaxy Book 10 or 12.

The only thing that I need to consider is the import tax in Europe, which is crazy. I could use some package forwarding service in the States. They usually have warehouse in some no-sales-tax states, and shipping to Europe for a 7~8 lbs package will cost about $70~$75, which is only 2% of the price. On their website, you can ask them to throw away the official invoice that shows the true price, and customize the customs declaration form, where you can specify the content of the package and any price you like to declare, as long as the local customs in Europe won't inspect it seriously ;). For me, I would just say it's a "tablet" of $350 :D, yeah, 1/10 of the true price, and then depending on the country, for a 20% VAT of a $350 item, I would need to pay another $70, still acceptable :cool:.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  8. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

I had exactly the same idea (and naive hope) back to 2014: why bother with a Tablet PC? Why not just buy an Intuos and pair it with a monster-like mobile workstation with quad-core i7 or even Xeon and dedicated GPU? So I just ordered a Wacom Intuos and tried to use it with my Dell Precision mobile workstation. But unfortunately, writing indirectly on a small tab while eye-balling on the screen instead of the Intuos tab is dramatically different from directly writing on the screen, because when you stair at the screen, which is 15.6", your hand is writing on the small Intuos tab which is something like 5.6", so the scale is quite different. It's just quite difficult to change your habit if all your previous digitizer experience is with Tablet PC or pen display like the Cintiq. For really old school digital artists who started using Wacom's products back to 90s, Intuos may be acceptable. But for a note-taker like me who started using Wacom's digitizer after the release of Windows XP tablet PC edition in 2002, this is like a nightmare, much worse than any digitizer technology that ever existed.

Anyway, you need to buy an Intuos and try for yourself in order to determine whether it's for your. You can anyway return it to Amazon if it doesn't work for you, just like what I did in 2014, when I finally returned it and bought a Thinkvision LT1423p for about $500, a poor man's Cintiq at that time.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    DRTigerlilly likes this.
  9. dstrauss

I still think the ZBook x2 is way over-priced for what you get. And it is so bulky, it makes fold-over 2-in-1's look reasonable. But for the Wacom EMR digitizer, it's a tough decision to go that route.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  10. dstrauss

FYI - the Spectre x360 15.6" with Radeon RX Vega M Graphics (4GB dedicated memory) is now up for sale - with 2TB SSD and all the other max goodies $2420 plus tax (you can save $400 with the measly 1TB drive)...no word yet whether it will burn a hole in your desk...

stormi likes this.