HP Spectre x360 - 8th Gen Intel (Late 2017)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dstrauss, Oct 19, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Montblanc - wouldn't that be a kick? The reason I chose Cross was because years ago Cross actually had a Wacom EMR pen, and it matched my Cross pen and pencil set I've carried since law school.

Unfortunately, that would be a VERY expensive conversion, even used: Montblanc Set

lovelaptops likes this.
  2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

While we're on the subject, try not to drop one of those "precious resin" pens onto a hard floor - they tend to explode into 1000 tiny pieces upon impact! In truth, while I'm not a branding kind of person and I don't want Dale owing any royalties to AT Cross (grew up with that family in Lincoln, Rhode Island, a century ago!) for his brain stroke. But Dale's on to something and it's time for all the lawyers on this thread (Dale, @Bronsky, others??) to get behind the idea. Playing off the brand, Adonit," I'm thinking "Jamit," Get it? take an s pen and "jam it" into the barrel of a rolling/felt writer, et voila! And while plastic feels better against your hand and fingers, gotta watch out for that exploding barrel issue to which I refer above.

Oh, and, would it be fair to say we've strayed just a bit off-topic here? There's a motion on the table that Ntrig is so far inferior for note taking that what is arguably among the finer, more innovative and well-priced 8th gen Intel utrabook/convertible hardware - the Spectre x360 - is off the list for serious note takers and - heaven forbid - a hardware-limited device (Samsung GB 12) with a jammed EMR stylus is the new state of the art for serious business applications of convertible tablets.

dstrauss and DRTigerlilly like this.
  3. lovelaptops

Yes, I remember that stylus; there were a couple of people bidding over $100 for a used one on eBay, so prized were they! And we Jewish boys received our first set of Cross pens for our bar mitzvah ("today I am a fountain pen...")

Bronsky likes this.
  4. dstrauss

It's an old Cross 12k Gold Felt Tip pen. It used a cartridge refill - I gutted the inside of the holder, cut off the tip of the shoulder where the pen stick out, and just put the S-pen in where the cartridge goes. I was looking for function more than beauty, so you'll see a small piece of scotch tape on the black insert which helps add friction so the pen's top does not come off - you have to remove the tiny gasket-like insert in the cap to make it all fit, so it doesn't snap back together like the real thing, but it doesn't come loose either.

IMG_1476.jpg
    IMG_1477.jpg IMG_1478.jpg
    Funny how it looks more silver than gold in those quick pics I took.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

You guys are hilarious! @dstrauss

6. dstrauss

Don't call myself "Comic Relief" for nothing...:D

Besides, desperate times call for desperate measures...;)...NSFW (a little bit anyway)...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    DRTigerlilly likes this.
  7. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

My first time ever experience with n-trig is when I tried SP3 at a Microsoft store back to 2014, and it was as terrible as a hell from a Wacom EMR spoiled note-taker's perspective. After so many years, it's so disappointing that MS still failed to improve n-trig to a level that is comparable with Wacom EMR.

So what about HP Zbook X2 with Wacom EMR? It seems to have a matte finish on the screen that may increase the friction, and no extra matte finish screen protector needed.

32GB RAM is a minimum for me if I want to combine my current workflows on two devices (running MATLAB on a mobile workstation and using cube i7 book for note-taking and meeting) to one device, so I can't go with Acer Switch 7.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    DRTigerlilly likes this.
  8. dstrauss

It looks like a possible alternative, but the cost is even worse than the Surface Book 2. The customized 16gb/1tb (the only option for 1tb) is $3189 (IF you drop Adobe CCS) and you are getting last gen processor (i7-7500) at that.

There may some hope still coming from Samsung in the form of the Notebook 9 Pen, but the screen res is low and no TB3 (why scrimp on that).

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  9. lovelaptops

I'm curious here, possibly just a question to educate me rather than help you, but as you describe your needs, would this device (Wacom Intuos Pro digital graphic drawing tablet) not be a good way to get high end Wacom EMR while being agnostic as to the computing engine you use do drive the drawing tablet and other applications you run? Because I'm not an artist, this product has never been of personal interest to me, but it seems like it really solves a niche problem like yours. Also, it can connect wirelessly (BT I think, but maybe wifi)

10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

for note taking? and Matlab? I don't think that works at all...